Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pames_gw

Kitchenaid double ovens. Any opinions?

pames
13 years ago

We are looking at getting a new double oven...rather hate to spend the money since the Whirlpool that is there is fine. No issues. Though I don't ask too much of it other than tell me the truth about the temperature.

But because of replacing cabinetry, we will also replace this and go with SS so everything matches.

I was looking at the 30" Kitchenaid KEB207SSS. I've read mixed reviews about Kitchenaid ovens, though not much specific to that model.

One thing I like about it is that the top is convection and the bottom is not, which makes sense for my usage.

Anyone have this model and have an opinion?

(I need to tell the cabinet people next week the model oven I will use so they know for the cabinetry....)

Thank you!

Comments (18)

• dodge59
    13 years ago

We've seen many posts about the KA Ovens failing after self cleaning, usually a thermal fuse, but in a few cases the main board has been fried. Unfortunately we are still seeing post about fairly recent purchases of the KA Ovens with that same problem.

I tried googling the model you gave and only got 1 "Hit" so I can't find much info on that particular model You may want to find the model number for the single oven and then do a search of that number + the word reviews.

I fear, you may still be a bit of an "Explorer" (Can't spell G*****Pig----so we use that term(LOL), as far as finding out , "if at long last KA has fixed the problem".

You say "This"-- "Though I don't ask too much of it other than tell me the truth about the temperature."--is important to you.

As far as I know Electrolux is the only Electric oven that allows you to "self calibrate it +/- 35F, but I have yet to see a post where any of the users of the Elux Ovens have found that necessary.

We've had our for 4+ years, and it has been completely trouble free, and bakes just as we expected, time and temp wise---So we haven't bothered to check it.
    We like the large readout---don't havta hunt up glasses to read it (the're usually upstairs), the big door and the glide out racks are especially important to use because it is mounted under counter and We have been on this planet for a while.
    You will see many positive reviews about the oven about it's proof mode, etc---When they first came out, we did see 3 cases where the cobalt blue interior had a flaking problem, but we also saw that with Wolf, and one other manufacturer. One poster was kind enough to give us a follow up post on the outcome, Elux replaced the even and she is happy with the new one. Have not see any more posts about cobalt blue interior problems.

Good luck with your decision--wish I had better news for you on the KA's I have had their DW's in the past and they were always great---same for their Mixer.

Gary

• lolog72
    13 years ago

I bought a kitchenaid oven/micro combo a few months ago. It's the kems3801sss. If I knew about this forum back then I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have read a decent amount of negative reviews on here for KA ovens in general which makes me nervous. Mine isn't installed yet so I can't give any feedback. It's been sitting in storage waiting for my remodel to start. I mostly bought it because it was a great deal at the Sears Outlet (only $1900). I do look forward to reading more comments on here though. I hope some are better than what I've most recently read.

• pames
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input this far. lolog, I have read both + and -comments it seems on them all, so I wouldn't be too nervous.

dodge, nice that you're liking the electrolux. May I ask: how long does it take to preheat? I've read a few comments about long preheat times. If my ovens took 20 +minutes to get to 350 degrees, I think I'd be upset! (esp those nights when I don't get home and dinner started til 7PM.
    I did read some + comments about electrolux customer service so that's good.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Macybaby timed her Elux oven to go from 85F to 350F.
    It took 12 Minutes,
    HTH

Gary

• festusbodine
    13 years ago

I just installed the 30" Kitchenaid convection wall oven (no steam.) Using it for 3 months now and I love it! Accurate temp, good interior space, and nice features. I haven't tried the self-clean - so yikes! I hope it survives.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Do it whilst it is under warranty, festusbodine, and do it at least twice, as post we have seen indicated it was fine till the 2nd cleaning.
    Here's hoping they solved the problem!!

Gary

• randy53
    13 years ago

I just installed a single 30" KitchenAid convection wall oven KEBS107 and it has a huge problem. This oven has a fan that runs constantly to circulate air around the outside of the oven to keep the electronics cool. It blows hot air (100 to 120 degrees)out the front of the oven which heats up the kitchen. I have the oven mounted in a cabinet with the bottom at counter height with a 42" high bar counter directly across from it. You can not sit at the bar counter when the oven is on even though you are 5 feet away. The hot air blowing in your face is just too uncomfortable. I ran the self cleaning mode and the fan then kicks into high gear and you can feel it blowing 15 feet away. This is just crazy.

I had KitchenAid service come out and they said this is normal for this oven. I would return it however I had it in storage for a few months while the kitchen was being built and the dealer will not take it back and KitchenAid says it is just "buyer's remorse". Yes it sure is!

I will have to junk this oven and find one that does not blow hot air.

Does anyone have a new electric wall oven that does not blow hot air? My 15 year old GE did not at all.

Randy

• lolog72
    13 years ago

Oh man! Reading this does not make me happy. Living in Arizona the last thing I need is hot hair blowing in the kitchen. All their ovens do this regardless of the model? Does anyone have the micro oven combo? Does it do it when the micro runs too?

• billy_g
    13 years ago

If this happens only during self-cleaning, then it should not be a big deal. It would not be an issue for me, and I'm buying a Kitchenaid double wall oven.

But, it has to work for you...

Billy

• lolog72
    13 years ago

From the comments above it appears the oven fan blows hot air into the kitchen during regular operations, not just during self cleaning.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

Mine were installed a few weeks ago and I am loving cooking in these ovens. I am going to try the self-clean test this week to make sure I get through 2 cycles of self-cleaning. I'll post whether it was successful or not.

The steam function has been pretty cool, but I haven't tried to make any crusty breads yet.

• billy_g
    13 years ago

lolog, I see you're correct. I read through the hot air discussion too quickly.
    Billy

• pames
    Original Author
    13 years ago

randy53 Can you clarify? Does it blow hot air all the time you are using it, or just during the selfcleaning cycle?
    Thanks.

• randy53
    13 years ago

Yes, it blows air all the time. There is a long squirrel cage fan at the back of the oven just below the controls. You can see it if you use a flashlight and look into the vents between the control panel and the door. This fan turns on low when you turn on the oven and continues to run until the oven cools down after you turn the oven off. During self cleaning the fan runs at high speed.

I could live with it if the fan only ran during self cleaning however it is blowing air all the time and it blows hotter as the over gets hotter.

Randy

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Interesting that such an aggressive cooling fix was required to finally(?) overcome the initial design deficiency which was denied or ignored for many years.

Folks who have had the previous design repeatedly fail on them during self clean must be scratching their heads.

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

I've had a Kitchen Aid regular convection oven and convection/micro combo for nearly 5 years now. When I bought it, after extensive reading of this forum, I was a bit alarmed at the thought of the self-cleaning problem. However, it has never had a problem during cleaning.

When the oven is turned on, air blows around the electronics panel, but it is not hot. I don't feel it at about 3 ft.

As with (all?) newer ovens, it vents into the kitchen when turned off. I dislike that as it heats the kitchen. If I crack the door a bit during cool down, the fan will turn off sooner.

Overall, I've been very satisfied with my choice.

• novembre
    13 years ago

I bought a Kitchenaid wall oven about three years ago and very much regret my choice. This oven will not bake cakes (or anything else requiring bottom heat) because the upper element, the broil element comes on to maintain the temperature and overbrowns everything. Also there is no bottom heat, or very little, which is needed for cakes to rise.

However, I have not had any problems with the self-clean feature, tho I've only run it three times, and on the shortest cycle.

The convection oven is ok...does a good job with cookies, and some breads.

I advise anyone looking to buy an oven to ask a lot of questions and to buy one where the temp is maintained in the conventional way, with the lower element cycling on and off.

Also, I'd look for one where the oven fan could be turned on or off (in convection mode) because the fan immediately blows away any steam that's introduced into the oven, as in bread making. And it seems to dry out the crust in anything but flat breads, inhibiting oven spring. But it does a great job of focaccia!

Nov