Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaourika_gw

How do you cook lots of pancakes on an induction cooktop?

kaourika
10 years ago

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...:

On a gas cooktop I could put down a long griddle pan, like this
{{gwi:1444066}}
and even though it was spanning 2 individual burners, the heat would eventually radiate throughout the entire pan and allow me to use the whole thing as a cook surface.

From what I understand, induction won't do that.

I'm set on induction, but not really loving the idea of cooking pancakes and other griddley things in a little fry pan the size of one of those circles on an induction cooktop... is there any other way?

Comments (13)

• jadeite
    10 years ago

There are induction-ready griddles you can use exactly as you show in your picture. We have a cast iron griddle we use for pancakes which spans two hobs. We set the settings to the same level and in about 5 minutes, the griddle is ready. Our cooktop is Thermador which does NOT have a bridge element, but the griddle works perfectly well. We don't keep it on the cooktop for very long - perhaps 15 minutes? - so it doesn't overheat the ceram surface.

Cheryl

• dodge59
    10 years ago

The Jenn-air induction cook top has "bridged Hobs, (front to back)

As Cheryl says, you probably don't really need it, but you may want to check it out,

You can use a pan larger than the circle on a hob, some hobs are 11 inches, and the size of the bottom of the pan is what is important.

Gary

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

KitchenAid has bridged hobs too! Your griddle just needs to be induction friendly!
    Suzi

• attofarad
    10 years ago

Personally, I love my cheap non-stick electric frying pan for pancakes. Just set
    the temperature, no guessing or experience required. I don't cook
    bacon/sausage -- if I did, I wouldn't be happy with the electric pan not
    being under the hood, but I guess I could set it on the induction cooktop
    easy enough.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Make life easy. Get a Presto Tilt n Drain electric griddle. It's so big I cook a whole pound of bacon or a dozen pancakes in one batch. Likely same cost as the induction griddle but much less fuss. I use mine right on the cooktop (electric radiant that's smooth like induction) with my hood. Amazon has it and so does Walmart.

Recently I cooked pancakes in skillets on DD2s Wolf dual fuel. What a nightmare compared to the Presto.

• kaourika
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the answers everyone, this has been very helpful!

And I apologize for making a new topic for this when there was such a similar one (as linked by Ginny20). Sorry, I missed that.

I have (obviously) never used an induction cooktop before, but I had heard that if you put an ill-fitting pan over one of the circles, you'd get a terrible buzzing noise. But I'll look for the bridging feature for sure.

Bosch Flexinduction looks perfect, but of course it's not here yet.

Just getting one of those plug in griddles was the first solution I thought of too, but memories of my old one, which was a piece of junk, have been deterring me.

I've been spoiled by cooking on my mom's 48" Wolf with a big griddle for the last last several years, so I'm just worried that when I "downgrade" to a cooktop of my own, everything else will seem inferior!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

My cooktop buzzes a little no matter which size pan I put on which size hob. Not everyone has this experience - it depends on the brand of cooktop and the type of pans, how full they are and how hot they are. I haven't noticed that it matters if the pan is too big for the hob, and I wouldn't describe it as horrible buzzing. I know that not many places have demo induction, but do try to find one, bring your pans and some water to fill them, and listen. The buzzing doesn't bother me as much as the clicking, and the clicking, as far as I can tell, seems to be unique to Kitchenaid. By all means, avoid Kitchenaid induction.

I cooked on an old Tappan gas range in a rented cottage this summer, and that gas made noise, too. It hissed. And the gas wasn't nearly as adjustable as my induction cooktop.

An old Tappan is no comparison to Wolf, and a built in griddle, or a grill, like a Jennair, are wonderful features. But induction is pretty wonderful, too, for other reasons. The biggest one is probably ease of cleaning, and there are threads that list the many benefits, which I'm sure you've seen.

Some people still find that a gas cooktop or range better fits their requirements, but don't be put off by the stories of induction's noise (except KA's clicks) or the lack of a built in griddle. Induction rocks.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I bake my bacon - so easy and not messy.
    I use a square griddle on the induction and have a second electric griddle if needed for larger quantities. I have not tried to bridge without a bridge but talked with Wolf and they said OK as long as not over the wires at the front.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

Ginny20: "I have a bridge burner on my Kitchenaid, and LG makes one, too. But unless you use cast iron, it is difficult to find a double burner griddle. (LG provides a stainless double burner griddle that fits their bridge burner.)"

Correct. We have the LG induction LCE30845 cooktop with bridging element and the (easily scratched) polished stainless steel griddle that came with it ("free"). Each part works well on its own; and the two parts work together very well. But the LG induction cooktop is too inexpensive to get notice on GardenWeb, where high price generally is regarded as a positive attribute; so no mention of the LG induction cooktop is responded to in this forum. (Until this response to your mention.)

• irene5
    10 years ago

I am planning on purchasing an induction cooktop, but having trouble finding one with more than one large burner. Most have one large burner and the rest seem very small (7 & 8 inches). Can I still use a large pot on a small burner and have the food cook evenly? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    10 years ago

Buy an electric griddle for $30 and cook them on your counter. Cook the bacon or sausage on the stove!

The electric griddle works so much better than those that span two burners -- especially two different sized (and powered) burners. There are no hot spots and, once it pre-heats, the temperature is very steady.

I don't think those stovetop griddles work that great on gas or induction.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Listen to rococo here. Get that electric griddle. No grief.