Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

Want to replace slide-in range - your recommendations?

Gina_W
11 years ago

Hi all! This house has a kitchen that was remodeled about nine years ago. The homeowners put in the cheapest Amana appliances. I've already replaced the fridge after the icemaker would not stop leaking into the freezer.

Next I want to replace the slide-in gas range. The stovetop works fine and has nice thick grates that cover the whole top. But the oven just sucks.

The Amana oven leaks a lot of heat out of the top - is that normal for a gas oven? I've had electric in the past.

I'd like to replace it with a range that has a convection oven, in mid-price range.

Your recommendations?

Comments (5)

• Fori
    11 years ago

Is it an actual slide in or freestanding? Slideins can be a bit of a pill to fit into old holes, have much less selection, and cost more...

Can you replace with dual fuel? Or even (my favorite) induction? Might need an electrical upgrade of course.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

One issue with replacing a slide in range is that the location of the gas connection may be different on the new range. That happened to me when I replaced my old one (Amana I think) with a Bosch. As a result the range does not lay flat against the wall. So be sure to check that out.

• elyash
    11 years ago

GE profile range has nice features. One high powered burner - not as high as CC, but works well and has a precise simmer burner which is actually quite effective. It has a small second oven which I find useful. Broiler is also good - but of course it doesn't work like the infrared ones. The oven is only satisfactory. I have tested it with a duncan heines brownie mix as per the instruction of the GE repairman and the brownies were done in the exact amount of time, but for some reason my chickens are not done in a timely manner - often taking 30% longer then they should. Recently I started using convection bake or roast for the chickens and that has improved the cooking.
    I think for a mid priced range the features on the GE are great and I believe the main oven is the largest in its class. If you can switch to electric, I do highly recommend my electrolux induction over the GE. But if you need gas, I think the GE is fine as long as you do not expect it to perform like a BS of CC.

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks.

It is a slide-in, and I'm finding that these are expensive - ugh. Here in California we pay a lot for electricity and water, so I would prefer to stick with gas for that reason. However, I am open to duel-fuel with electric oven as I am not using the oven very often. I use my outdoor grill as an oven when it makes sense, and I don't bake.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Im in Yorba Linda Calif, (Near Disneyland). I have an Induction cooktop and Electric wall oven as well as Speed Oven,---All Electrolux.

My last Electric bill was $51, but with a 3rd of an acre to water, ---don't ask about my water bill--It's my highest Utility expense.

Like You, due to the weather here, we do cook out side a lot with a gas bbq and a 2 burner cooktop.

The Induction is more efficient than any other type of cooking device, Electric or Gas, most of the energy with induction goes into the pan, not into the kitchen!

Gary