Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you recommend an over-the-range MW/exhaust fan combo

Posted by Bellsmom (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 19:39

This request is for information for a friend. Thanks to the folks at GW, I have a wonderful hood but cannot talk my friend into getting one. Here is mine--a really great ModernAire.
 photo windowP1060897.jpg

But she wants a small MW/exhaust fan over her electric range. It does vent directly out an exterior wall. She doesn't cook a lot and really never does greasy stir fries (which I do), and currently functions fine with a thing--er fan--which looks like it has a 10" square wire mesh exhaust area.

She only has about 12-15" of vertical space to use. Is that a deal breaker?

I cannot really help her. I don't even know where to start looking. I know OTR MWs are considered way less than optimal--but can anyone help me with the least bad of the lot?

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you recommend an over-the-range MW/exhaust fan combo

They're mostly cheaply made Asian imports. I'm not convinced picking the brand really matters (especially since a lot of them are from the same factories). Sharp is made in the USA which is nice, and their higher end products (like microwave drawers) are high quality, but the OTR microwaves seem to be cheap junk just like everyone else.

o

All OTR'S are at least 16'' tall. If she only has 12'' of room, she can' have an OTR. LG does makeone wih 400 CFM and a slide out piece tthat increases captture area. That's the best quality one that I'm familiar with for venting.

o

Thank you, Hollysprings and Hvtech.
I have had the Sharp drawer MW for about 3 years. It is used every day at least once and works flawlessly. I would have expected the same of their OTR MW. Thanks for the heads up.

I will look at the LG on Amazon and pass on your information.
I didn't realize they were all so tall. I hope she decides not to go this route.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 9:38

o

Check the smallest cubic foot microwave you can find ... but adding the vent stuff does take space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here