Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodge59

Yelp Reviews

dodge59
9 years ago

If you use Yelp to review possible appliance repair companies, BE SURE TO READ The "Not Recommended Reviews"

Yelp has some kind of Bot that monitors the new reviews, and either refuses the reviews or puts them into a "Not Recommended Review Category".

I've had both things happen to me, I got ripped off by a Cadillac Dealer for service, wrote the review, The Bot hollers "Yikes" at me and refuses to post the review.

Today, due to the Outstanding Service that I got on my JA Fridge repair, I wrote a positive review about the company, and at first it posted, but then it went into the "Not recommended Reviews"~~~~along with 7 other 5 Star Reviews of that company~~~and the stars don't get counted if they are in the "Not Recommended Reviews file".

So that company really has not as high a rating as it should have, (Had all the reviews been counted).

Sooooooo, go down to the bottom of the Yelp page you are looking at reviews on and click the not recommended reviews, ~~~~To see, "The Rest of The Story"!!!!!!
(Well expect for reviews that the Bot refuses, of course).

In fact do this for anything you are reviewing via Yelp, reataurants, hotels, ~~~~~~U name it!!!

Gary

Comments (11)

• bober
    9 years ago

Gary,

I read your post and looked at yelp... here's what they post in the FAQ regarding "not recommended reviews". I'm not making a value judgement on your post or BOT intelligence, just listing what they do state:

"Why would a review not be recommended?
    There are a number of reasons why a review might not be recommended. For example, the review might have been posted by a less established user, or it may seem like an unhelpful rant or rave. Some of these reviews are fakes (like the ones we see originating from the same computer) and some suggest a bias (like the ones written by a friend of the business owner), but many are real reviews from real customers who we just donâÂÂt know much about and therefore canâÂÂt recommend."

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Yes, their review filter is BS. It frequently assumes that good reviews are written by an employee of the business, and bad reviews are written by competitors. Terrible software.

• dodge59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I am a "less established member"!!!!
    I've only written 2 reviews on it and one was refused .

Doesn't that defeat the whole review process?
    Instead of getting reviews from an "Every day Joe" type guy like me, they get them from folks that posts reviews all the time ("semi-professional reviewers"), if you will?

Gary

• bober
    9 years ago

Funny. I suppose if you keep adding reviews that get tagged as "not recommended", then eventually you might get yours added to the "recommended" list and become a more established user. What would be nice then, is that your previously tagged "not recommended" reviews would automatically be placed on the "recommended" list! Sure, I bet that's how it works (being sarcastic)!

That said, I imagine it's not an easy algorithm to implement. At least they do not just filter out completely the less worthy reviews.

• dodge59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"At least they do not just filter out completely the less worthy reviews."

Well, I beg to disagree, take a look at the reviews here.
    (Click the helpful link at the end of my post here).

Note these are all 5 star reviews that were put into the "Not Recommended" category.
    This company , "To Me", is really getting ripped off.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Yelp Not Recommended Reviews

• bober
    9 years ago

I think you misinterpreted me but I agree with how bad the algorithm seems to be. This one cracked me up (1st time poster from your link (recommended reviews)).

from the site...

"My freezer stopped working and I checked yelp and saw the great reviews and true to form they are very good . I called in the morning and got a tech that evening! Tommy fixed my freezer and said I have another 10 years on it! Highly recommend them!!!"

my skeptical commentary...

a) Who's Tommy? (perhaps Yelp knows... maybe Tommy is NOT the poster's Uncle?) ?

b) +10 yrs, wow! I want service from that company :-). Hard to see why that does not get onto the "Not recommended" list.

• Anne Johnson
    last year

Where do I begin! These wretched losers delivered my furniture in the rain and left it there to soak. They dropped a large cabinet on the sidewalk and badly damage it. I was out of town and was not notified about the delivery. They refused to replace the furniture or refund my money. I will tell everybody I meet about how badly I was treated. These folk's are very unprofessional shady and dishonest

• HU-16168550092
    last year

Maybe chrck with your bank or credit card company and see if they can offer helo?

• bob cratchit
    last year
    last modified: last year

I am so disgusted with this place! I purchased a rug that was on sale for about $150. It looked ridiculous in my house and I wanted to return it. Either I had to drag this rug somewhere and pay for shipping, or do the Houzz return and had to pay the shipping - which was around $40! I shop a lot on line, and never encountered this issue with any other vendor. I kept getting emails telling me how to wrap and send, because if I didn't do it right, it would cost me more. NEVER SHOPPING AT HOUZZ again. ever,

• HU-750331542
    last year

Placed an order that was delivered to an incorrect address. I have contacted them 3 times, still waiting. Not sure what to do, except NEVER use Houzz again and to tell everybody I know to not do business with them.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County