Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30' cooktop or dual fuel range

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 19:21

I am redoing my kitchen and this includes replacing my GE Profile slide-in smoothtop range and converting to propane.
My current stove is satisfactory in many ways. The oven is great- even temperature, convection, not too loud, features that I use and like include temperature probe, delayed start, and cook time.
What I don't like is the time it takes to come to a boil and to come back to a boil. I do a lot of canning, in a 26 qt pressure canner, and I think the long reboil time, sometimes screws up my results.
I am thinking of going with a Bosch 500 series electric oven though I would love something as good, that costs less. So suggestions on an oven are welcome.
For a cooktop, I am considering a DCS, a Bosch, the Frigidaire Professional. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
I could also go with a range, and like the Bosch Integra. I don't like that the grates are very high and I don't know if money wise for a few hundred dollars more I would be better off going with separate components? The oven will go undercounter so wall height placement is not a selling point.
Please give me your feedback and suggestions. This is such a big purchase and so confusing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30' cooktop or dual fuel range

It seems for your needs an induction range might be better.

Maytag MIR8890AS(~$1600) has one 3.7kw hob and two 3.2kw hobs. That will boil and recover in a jiffy. And you don't need to convert to propane.

GE Profile PHS925STSS (~$2,400)slide-in induction range is much more stylish and has two 3.7kw hobs and one 2.5kw hob.

Both have ovens that will probably meet your needs.

o

One would probably have to know what her pressure canner is made of, before recommending induction, (Ya thinks).

No arguement, it will bring the water to a boil faster than anything else, even faster than my
"Gigantic Flame Throwing DCS outside 2 burner cooktop" but it's all a "Mute Point" if her 26 qt canner is aluminum and she is unwilling/unable to replace it with an Induction Capable pressure cooker.

Also it would be much cheaper to run the Induction and better temp control, (which is very important with pressure cookers).

Anyway good luck on the hunt for a "fast canner"!

Gary

o

Thank you both for your thoughtful responses. I should have mentioned that I live in Maine and in the winter we do lose power, so a propane stove will be a boon. There are only so many meals I can cook on our wood stove!
Also, my pressure canner is not magnetic and while I would not let one pot drive the decision, I would prefer propane for the above reason.
Any ideas for propane?

o

localeater, i read your post yesterday as I'm also looking at 30" and 36" ranges. I've found the linked site below to be very helpful in that you may be very specific with your search, there is wide array of manufacturers, and often buyers give feed back. I think you're asking about propane-convertible 30" (slide in) ranges or at least propane emphasis products.

If you look at this site you'll be able to search for your specifics, and I hope this helps you in the meantime.

Here is a link that might be useful: 30

o

Thanks Sparkling Water, unfortunately I spend WAY too much time on that site trying to decide what I want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here