Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
restore497

Best 48 inch range?

restore497
11 years ago

Cost aside -- can anyone provide me with reccomendations as to what they believe is the best 48 inch range. Dual fuel or just gas (Im leaning towards just gas), open or sealed burners, grill or griddle or both, BTUs, brand, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• wekick
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There isn't a "best" range. It will depend on how you cook and what is important to you. What is useful for one person might be irrelevant for another or at least way down the list in priority. Search those topics and you will come across the brands and their various features.

• wekick
    11 years ago

Generalize?

This is the day and age of choice. That is why your Molteni is customized.

2) Capital Culinarian CGSR484GG fully loaded about $11k.

Includes one of eight colors,self-clean oven with rotisserie,hybrid grill,griddle,23k btu open burners, and wok grate. Made in Southern California.

Here are just a few of the issues that might influence your choice for "best".
    Many on this forum report issues with Capital simmer being too hot and they are coming out with a smaller burner that can be retrofitted for one or more of the 23K burners. Some prefer dual stacked burners that do go really low in temperature(DCS or Wolf). I have no preference for open or closed burners but some might as far as cleaning them.

The grill and griddle are another area where there are strong preferences one way or the other. Some like the griddle in place and others prefer to have the versatility of an overlay griddle.
    grills people seem to love or hate.

If an oven is important I would want a Wolf DF with dual convection fans, convection elements and baking modes.
    Some though might want an infrared broiler-some are wider or hotter than others.

Consider an induction cooktop for all or part of your burners.

Also consider a rangetop/s and wall ovens. You can pick exactly the best for you of all worlds.

There have been some complaints about the evenness of heating of the smaller oven on a 48 inch range.

Last of all when you read the forums here you will get an idea of responsiveness to customer complaints.

You might tell us a little about how you cook and for how many and if you have a budget and maybe we can point you in a better direction.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Yes Generalize. Not my Molteni. You can get standard Molteni but most don't because when you are spending that kind of money most want to customize for the sake of customization;to say they have a unique range.

Culinarian simmer is an adjustment problem and a marketing problem not a cooking problem. Capital is coming out with a simmer burner so Bluestar salesman/fans can't say it is superior because it has a dedicated simmer burner. Many have bought BS for that reason but again marketing issue not a cooking one.

Some prefer dual stacked burners? Some have a preferance for an inferior choice. That is why you have the best and others in ranges and other products.

If absolute precision in an oven is critical then a Wolf or Gaggenau wall oven is the best choice. Paying the premium for Wolf DF range is just dumb for almost everyone given the inferior burners. Unless you are in the rare situation where you must have the most precise oven and you don't have room for a wall oven.

Grills and griddles are optional. If you hate then no one is forcing you to buy.I think most would get them if they were a no cost option so that is why it is included in my recommendation.

They don't make 48" induction ranges.

• wekick
    11 years ago

Some prefer dual stacked burners? Some have a preferance for an inferior choice. That is why you have the best and others in ranges and other products.

This statement makes my point. You and I would have different opinions about what is "inferior" or "best" or a "cooking problem".

• tyguy
    11 years ago

Restore497: wewick is 110% correct. There is no best range. PERIOD. Anyone who says there is I would discount that propaganda right on the spot. On this forum you will generally find bluestar and capital culinarian fans but please please do not consider these to be the only options. However, I would say that you would probably find what really suits you with capital, bluestar or wolf. More info on what is important to you would be useful.

I have a 48" bluestar which I have owned for over 4 years now. I have 4 burners and a grill and griddle. I LOVE this range. It is the best appliance I have ever owned. If I was able to live for another 50 years I would probably still have this range. It is the BEST 48" range FOR ME. The only thing I would do different if I was in the market for a new range would be get a double wide grill instead of griddle. Main reasons I like this 48" over some of the competition is in no particular order, the power and performance, the looks, and the easy maintenance in the cleaning department from its all cast iron cooktop(no need to do much here, just let it season) to being on legs with an open bottom which makes cleaning underneath a breeze.

>Culinarian simmer is an adjustment problem and a marketing problem not a cooking problem. Capital is coming out with a simmer burner so Bluestar salesman/fans can't say it is superior because it has a dedicated simmer burner. Many have bought BS for that reason but again marketing issue not a cooking one.

Dee, this post is very uncharacterstic of you. Anyway, my opinion on that is the cc was built with all the same burners precisly as a marketing strategy with their target everyone knowing to be bs. They made all the burners the same to market it as "superior" and that is very obvious, I'd even go as far as to say unarguable when you hear surjit kalsi often mention bluestar by name. As far as I can tell I have yet to hear bs or any high ranking bs employee mention capital by name. So that means that either having all the same burners was a marketing failure by capital or there is a cooking problem. I have seen sooooo many posts on here saying something to the effect that they choose the cc over the bs (at least partly) because all the burners are same size or can simmer on all or something similar. I highly doubt the marketing failed them here. In fact, I would say the single biggest issue facing capital introducing simmer burners onto the cc would be the challenge of reversing their marketing. Its going to be very interesting to see how this is done. Let me be clear here, I am not trying to bash the cc's simmer capibilities, I am only trying to correct the mis information that the simmer "issue" is *only* a marketing issue. There is no doubt that current setup of the cc works for many people, but there are some who the current setup will not work for no matter how many hours or how many techs try to adjust the simmer and that is exactly why despite being in a very awkward spot having marketed the cc as superior they (capital)find that they have to still offer a true simmer burner at least as an option to those who find they really need/want one.

• alexrander
    11 years ago

There has been at least one person on this forum, and others inquiring, who has modified their C.C. burners to get a simmer they were happy with. Many others have tried to simply adjust or are waiting for a new special simmer, or small pot burner to become available from Capital. Also some complaints about C.C. ovens having hot spots - especially but not limited to the smaller ovens. A more minor complaint are the racks on the manual clean and the oven size on all but the 36" range. These are ongoing current problems. They are significant cooking problems for many of their owners who have reported them.

I have a Bluestar and the heating is very even, and I love the burners and all cast iron top. I would not even consider anything else. Even the service has been great and I have an older model. I probably wouldn't even post this except to balance the hype.

• Emilner
    11 years ago

And then there are those of us who cook extensively and find the CC simmer fantastic....