Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bosch compact or universal mixer

Posted by COLN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 18:26

I haven't decided on which BOSCH to purchase but was wondering about the plastic bowls. Not being metal, I am assuming this could be a bad choice for whipping egg whites. Am I correct or does anyone routinely make angel food cakes , etc. that require full volume?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bosch compact or universal mixer

Compact or Universal plus - depends on your needs. If you're doing a lot of high volume baking, then the Universal Plus. If you're interested in attachments, check what's available for each machine - the Compact has a lot but I'm pretty sure there's no meat grinder or pasta maker for the smaller compact.

But if you'll likely be making one or two loaves at a time, the Compact is plenty powerful.

You can, btw, get a metal bowl for either machine for additional cost. Check on Pleasant Hill Grains.

If you're concerned about whipping egg whites in the plastic bowl, wipe the bowl down with high grade ethanol such as Everclear - it's mostly pretty taste neutral and will cut through the grease. I keep some on hand for making extracts and vanilla. If you can't find that then try a high octane cheap vodka.

I think you'll be fine with the plastic bowl but I, too, prefer the metal bowl, just because I'm prejudiced against plastic, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleasant Hill Grains

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here