Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jirka09

Yet another range hood question

jirka09
11 years ago

Hi!

I need help deciding on a range hood for a BS RNB 30" I was told by a BS rep that 36" wide would be best. I know I need 600 cfm - minimum and

I have 6" ducts to work with. I want halogen lights.

2 questions:

1.) Baffles vs mesh filters? what's the difference, what's recommended?

2.) A "pyramid" shaped one or a flatter one. I know I don't want any glass.

I was considering this one because it seems less obtrusive, but upon reading here, it would seem this type is not as effective as say, the one linked below:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/ZANM90AS.html

but would one designed more like this one be better/more efficient?

http://www.ventingdirect.com/kobe-ra9436sqb-36-wall-mounted-range-hoof-from-the-ra-094-series-with-included-adjustable-duct-cover-and-up-to-760-cfm/p417020

Or there is this one:

http://www.ventingdirect.com/windster-ra-77b36-36-wall-mounted-three-speed-range-hood-with-640-cfm-with-stainless-steel-construction-from-the-ra77b-collection/p1773720

But I'm kind of getting a bad vibe with the Windster, don't know why.

The sales guy that sold me the BS range said they were the same as Zephry basically but without the branding -- any thoughts?

So, Zephry or Kobe? or maybe a Windster or a Best..... this is harder than deciding on the range....

Thanks,

Jirka

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    11 years ago

In my opinion none of the above will work for a BS, you need depth of at least 24". 19" or 22" is not a good idea.

Always go for baffles with a BS.

Main thing to remember capture area is vital....

• sspiper
    11 years ago

I agree it's a difficult decision......so I went with the BS pyramid 36.
    Simple and well made much like the range. I struggled with the choice at first but couldn't find the exact Zephyr model i was interested in on display to see and touch....thinking it was a conservative but excellent choice to go BS hood.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

While both baffles and meshes can collect grease, perhaps with different effectiveness over the spectrum of particle sizes, the mesh filters also collect lint and dust, and must be cleaned often to keep airflow up. Also, baffle configurations usually have more aperture volume under them, which contributes somewhat to capture and containment. Baffles will probably have lower pressure drop across them, even when the meshes are clean, thereby improving the actual air flow rate (cfm).

kas

• jirka09
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, for the input everyone. Very helpful.

I went to go see some hoods in person, initially I was thinking I should get a 36" for a 30" range, but the salesman told me it wasn't necessary and that a 30" would be OK. This because the range will be against a wall with nothing on either side. Any thoughts?
    The hood I'm seriously considering is:
    http://www.koberangehoods.com/product/RA02-1.html

However, it is about 2" too tall, can that chimney be trimmed?

Another thing, I was hesitant about the LED lights on a lot of these hoods, but these seem to give off a warmer light than some that I have seen (Zephry). My refrigerator has one in the door and it's awful, I never use it, but I know I will rely on the lighting over the stove a lot.
    Am I the only one who hates LED lights? I know they are energy efficient but I find them to be very depressing.

Jirka

• burgerkong
    11 years ago

This is what I have over my BS:

{{gwi:1442914}}

Brendan

• jirka09
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BurgerKong, that looks nice, what type of hood is that?

• burgerkong
    11 years ago

Works pretty well.

Here is a link that might be useful: PS33 Range Hood

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

With nothing on either side, go with the wider hood. The vapors spread as they rise. If you had cabinets on both sides then you could do the hood the same width as the stove top.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

Light emitting diodes used for illumination are generally blue to UV emitting that pump a high efficiency phosphor that produces white light. In a sense, one might describe them as solid-state fluorescent lights.

The phosphor can be selected to yield a particular color temperature, from warm white to daylight. People on the kitchen forum used to discuss this, and some asserted that warm white was better, perhaps (I'm guessing) due to its correspondence with incandescent illumination.

Some architectural "can" LED based lights use additional red LEDs to better balance the color. IIRC, Cree claims its lights include detection circuitry to adjust the red level to keep the color temperature constant.

Anyway, if possible select a hood for which the LED lights have some standard lamp configuration, such as R-20, so that there is a wider range of replacements from which one can select the color temperature one wants.

kas

• jirka09
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weedmeister, That makes sense. Thank you.

Kas, thanks for the technical info, now if I can just figure out what the lamp configuration is I can make my choice.

Does anyone have any experience with ventingdirect.com?

Here is a link that might be useful: Venting Direct