Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Vintage oven repair puzzle

peace_rose
11 years ago

I have a 1954 O'Keefe & Merritt and the gas oven isn't working. Actually, the oven *was* working - for 30 minutes at a time, before we "repaired" it. Before the repair it wouldn't stay lit for very long or fire back up to the right temperature. All the troubleshooting I did pointed to the safety valve as the culprit. So we had the safety valve rebuilt and installed a new thermocouple; now it won't stay lit AT ALL. We've tried tweaking with the thermocouple by adjusting where it sits in relation to the pilot, but with no luck. My husband is ready to chuck this thing out the window!

The oven is pretty simple, which makes it all the more puzzling. There's the pilot assembly (which we also replaced. It's working fine and the pilot stays on), the thermocouple, a solenoid (for the automatic cooking function which we don't use), the safety valve and the thermostat.

We got the clock and the stove-top light working again by jiggling a few wires. I don't know if that would relate to the gas system problem, but I'm trying to think outside the box here...

I'm having a hard time finding someone locally who knows how to service these, so I thought I'd see if any of you have any experience with old stoves.

Thanks!

peace_rose

Comments (5)