Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerrod6

Miele DW - loading

jerrod6
16 years ago

In previous posts I have mentioned using my dishwasher fully loaded. I donÂt typically show pictures of anything in my house, but with the assistance of flyingktye I am positing some pics showing how my typical loads look using my everyday sets of dishes. These pics where taken last year and are before and after(the wash cycle) shots of the items.

Note that I place wooden spoons in the DW even though they get damaged by hot water and detergents.

Cutlery tray before washing

{{gwi:1442719}}

Lower rack before

{{gwi:1442720}}

Middle rack before

{{gwi:1442721}}

Cutlery tray after

{{gwi:1442722}}

Middle rack after side view

{{gwi:1442724}}

Middle rack after front view

{{gwi:1442726}}

Lower rack after side view

{{gwi:1442728}}

Lower rack after front view

{{gwi:1442730}}

Comments (19)

• kimba00
    16 years ago

Beautiful, just beautiful. And how reckless of you Jarrod, to put wooden spoons in there. tsk tsk.

My DH thinks I spend too much time on the appliance forum. Is it weird that I appreciate this kinda stuff and find it entertaining?

• hest88
    16 years ago

I'm inspired. Granted, I only have a Diamante, but when it's finally installed and I do my first wash, I will remember your pictures and hold them as my ideal.

• shazam_z3
    16 years ago

I noticed that I can load up the top rack like crazy on my Bosch, something that I could NEVER do with my old Whirlpool Gold. Must be a European thing.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I do have some good wooden spoons that don't go in the machine, but the ones in these pics are old and already dishwasher "seasoned". I don't seem to use my good wooden spoons that much though.

My everyday sets are thick and heavy and can take a lot so I don't mind piling them on top of each other(even though the manual says not to do this, I tried it, found this way works for me, so I do it). Probably not a good idea with fine china and crystal.

Also I take the plastic containers and just stick them on top of the glasses and cups making sure they have some support either from the side fold down racks or support across two glasses or cups from below. Of course some of them are hanging off of cups too...still works OK so I do it.

Bowls are placed in the lower and middle racks and even though they are sitting at an angle in the lower rack they still come out fine.

Long serving/cooking utensils are placed on the fold down racks in the bottom and sometimes the end of them are resting on plates...doesn't seem to matter.

In middle rack there is a long utensil spoon running from front to back on the right side which has spoon part faced downward while the handle is supported by a bowl and near a glass..this works also.

Detergent:

For those wondering what detergent cleaned this load.. I used 1 ElectraSol tab with 3 in 1 action,and sepaprate Jet Dry Rinse Aid.

• fitzski
    16 years ago

Wow - packed to the rafters!

We're still figuring out how to organize ours - i.e. how to use all the folding racks, adjusting the middle-rack height, etc.

This is helpful though... I tend to avoid stacking stuff, which does leave a LOT of space in the machine, but for things like the strainers, coffee press, etc., there's really no harm in it, I suppose.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suspect that you can get a lot more in newer dishwashers than you could ever get into the older models but the trend was probably started by European models. My previous Miele bought in 1996 could hold almost as much but the racks were not quite as flexible as this current model.

Stacking stuff doesn't work well if there is no way a water stream can reach the dishes, so when I stack I check to insure there is a path for the water to reach. Also for large loads like this you don't want to use low temp cycles with little detergent either. No problem with stuff that is sticking up and in mid air like the end of that coffee press

You will also see that the middle arm sprays out and across and not just up, but you have to look at the back of it to see it.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

Jerrod, you have a La Perla like me right? If I loaded like you did, I wouldn't be able to push the baskets back in again! When I look at your top basket, I could never do that on my La Perla -- does yours have more room inside for some reason? LOL

• flyingkite
    16 years ago

jerrod6,

What a great pictures, I never had such a big load!

By the way, I like your white bowls, what kind of dish do you serve on them?

• kimba00
    16 years ago

Jarrod6,

Inexpensive wooden spoons are fine to use and destroy in a dishwasher, but you should toss them out once they get cracked. A friend of mine introduced me to the benefits of bamboo utensils which are much heartier and hold up a lot better in the dishwasher than wood. Also, I use mineral oil to seal and protect my wooden spoons, cutting boards, utensils and knife handles so the wood isn't so porous. You can get mineral oil inexpensively in the laxative aisle of most drug stores and grocery stores.

I am impressed with your loading abilities, but even more-so in the miele line of dishwashers. My miele incognito is a work horse and everything comes out clean and dry. Well worth the extra money we spent in getting it.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sshrivastava. Yeah I have the LaPerla like you. I have that rack in the lower position. I can still get my plates in the bottom so I generally keep it at the lower position unless something very tall needs to be in the bottom center then I raise the rack or tilt it.

There have been a few times where the plastic containers will slightly scrape the bottom of the cutlery tray. I just lift the tray removable insert up a bit and slide the middle rack in. If you don't have a full load of silverware you could remove one section of the cutlery tray...that's why they made it so the sections are removable. So far I have not needed to do that.

I think the Laperla is the Laperla and can't imagine they changed the size of it but..who knows...:)

I can't take any credit for the white bowls. These were passed down from my mothers older sister to her. When I moved out my mother packed a box of stuff she thought I might need. When I opened the box the white bowls were in there along with a selection of cast iron skillets of different sizes. They were hers so all ready well seasoned!

I serve fruit, pudding, applesauce, custard(they can take heat but cannot get under a broiler). I also use them when I have dipping sauces, a quick cottage cheese snack, to hold a tea bag... serve nuts..cheese..you name it. Not good for soup because of the shape of the sides.

• dave1217
    16 years ago

Jeez, it looks like I've been waayy underloading my Premiere Plus, if that's all the stuff you can get in there! I never stack stuff on top of other stuff for fear it'll either get "blown off" and not washed, or just plain old not washed because water can't get to it.

I still wind up with "schmutz" in the sump of my Miele when I remove the filter to clean it, regardless of cycle or detergent. I suppose that's all pumped out at the start of the next cycle...

• kimba00
    16 years ago

I thought that too, but after adjusting, shifting, and re-organizing, I realized that in less time and effort I could just hand wash those items that didn't quite fit in as I had planned.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Moved thread up so that Tomalyse can find.

• mando_p
    16 years ago

jerrod6,

in reading the owners manual of some of the miele units in the UK, there is mention of "drying plus." with this feature enabled, the door automatically *opens* at the end of the cycle to accelerate drying. this sounds awesome.

can you program your unit to enable this feature?

• whirlpool_trainee
    16 years ago

In Europe, Miele sells updated versions of their dishwashers. They all have a "2" at the end - so for example Miele G 2832 SC. The Drying Plus feature is an mechanical upgrade not yet available to the US.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: More info on the second edition Mieles

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for this link Alex. I thought I read something about this new edition last night but could not find any detail about it.

Alex is most certainly correct. The Miele DW released in the U.S.A in 2006 were previously released in Euro and Germany in 2004 I think. I don't mind this because it gives them a chance to work any bugs out of them.

So the U.S.A currently does not get the NEW version of Miele DW. We may get the new and improved version when it is released to us a year or so later. I suspect that we may not even get every release. That is how it is and that is OK with me.

So no I cannot do this with my DW.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mando
    I checked out the UK site for the upgraded model of my dishwasher. I have a G2830(Laperla)so I looked at the G2832. I don't see any upgrade compelling enough for me to get excited.

You can set it so the door almost closes itself and opens a bit after a dry. Ehh. I don't need help opening a door, and I really don't need to have the door open a bit for a dry I mean the current fan operation does a good job, but I can see that this could be put to good use if needed.

You can add Turbo as an extra. This shortens the cycle a bit but the manual says consumption will increase. I expected this. I suppose this might be useful if you are in a rush.

The news release talks about the racks, but I don't see any changes here. This is the same thing the Bosch news release did...a re-hash of some of the features all ready available...I guess so that the folks that didn't know they were there will now know about it.

I DID see that they will let you use vinegar or citric acid in the RinseAid dispenser instead of using normal Rinse Aid. I suppose then you MUST have the door set to pop open at the end.

Sensor Dry will sense if you need a longer dry or hotter final rinse. I can get extended drying now as an extra so not excited about this either.

Shorter Cycles that still clean well---the current G2830 Laperla all ready has this--- so no biggie here.

So over all I don't personally care if this upgraded model makes it over here...not enough different about it plus I plan to hold Miele to their promise of longevity which means I plan to have my current DW at least 10 years and hopefully more... I guess as long as I don't get a new kitchen again! :)

• tomalyse
    16 years ago

Thanks jerrod6 - I'm sold. Miele it is. Will match the Miele double oven and cooktop we are putting in as well. Many thanks.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tomalyse..Still can't hurt get the brochure just so you can compare models. The ones I am most familiar with are the G2830 Laperla which I have and it has the same cycles as the Excella, but has the masterchef type flat screen menu system, so you cannot cover this up with a full cabinet front. The Excella can take a panel, has the same cycles, and is rated 44 instead of 42 db. I don't know what is making the 2db difference..as if 2 db is that important anyway.