Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawsit_gw

Gas Cooktop-Easier to clean SS/ black porcelain

pawsit
15 years ago

Today I looked at some "deep sump" stainless gas drop-in cooktops. I'm wondering how easy these are to keep clean vs. the black surface of the slide-in range tops.

Specifically, right now I'm considering the Electrolux E36GC75ESS (36" slide-in )

or possibly the Electrolux E46GC66ESS 46" drop in cooktop.

I really want the slide-in, but will have to do additional cabinet work for the retro-fit. If I got the drop in, I can avoid the cabinet work, but don't think I'll like it nearly as much.

I think ease of clean will be the deal clincher for me. DH of course doesn't want to fool with cabinet work, but I want to know I'll love what we choose.

I currently have an old SS Jenn-Air unit that does have some discoloration on the stainless from over-heating, age, etc. which causes the concern about the drop-in. Besides great functionality, I do want it to age well.

I need some advice! Thanks!

Comments (5)

• pawsit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today I looked at some "deep sump" stainless gas drop-in cooktops. I'm wondering how easy these are to keep clean vs. the black surface of the slide-in range tops.

Specifically, right now I'm considering the Electrolux E36GC75ESS (36" slide-in )

or possibly the Electrolux E46GC66ESS 46" drop in cooktop.

I really want the slide-in, but will have to do additional cabinet work for the retro-fit. If I got the drop in, I can avoid the cabinet work, but don't think I'll like it nearly as much.

I think ease of clean will be the deal clincher for me. DH of course doesn't want to fool with cabinet work, but I want to know I'll love what we choose.

I currently have an old SS Jenn-Air unit that does have some discoloration on the stainless from over-heating, age, etc. which causes the concern about the drop-in - but then it's probably 20 yrs old. Besides great functionality, I do want it to age well.

I would appreciate any advice from gas cooktop owners! Thanks!

(reposted this since I forgot the question marks earlier and got no responses:))

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I can't speak for the black but I find the SS on my DCS very easy to keep clean.

• dcvoigt
    15 years ago

I am now in this delema too so wanting to bump this.
    Some say the cermaic glass cooktop in the gas slide ins are hard to keep clean. Others say the SS is hard cause is scratches easily. Please reply. I want a dual fuel slide in that is under 2000.00.

• pastryqueen
    15 years ago

My drop in ss cooktop is 7 years old and sparkling. I don't know if cleaning a ceramic top is just a quick wipe off and it's clean, like a continuous clean oven...if it is, then ceramic is naturally easier to keep clean. SS requires that you don't let spill overs lay too long before wiping them up. I clean my cooktop once a week unless I do a dirty cook job, then I wipe it up right after. I use non scratch scrubber and have even used a light hand with brillo on real burnt on stuff because I want a spotless stove top. I hate to clean so if it's not too much of an effort for me, than it shouldn't be for you! BTW what's the "cooking difference" between a slide in vs a drop in stove top?

• doogs714_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just bought a stainless steel slide in with a black porcelain top about a month ago. The black shows everything. We clean it regularly but there were some little spots I couldn't get clean. I tried the vinegar method and it was a waste of my time. I tried this baking soda method I found on another web site and thought I should share it with you. It worked great for me. Hope it works for you. Here it is.

Baking soda is easy to apply, effective on stains, and easy to remove. It is a mild abrasive, so although it is softer than a glass cooktop, you should test it on an inconspicuous area to make sure that it will not scratch the surface.

Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1/2 tablespoon of water to make a soft
    paste. For light soil that results from normal use, apply the baking soda mixture
    to the cooktop with a clean paper towel. Rub gently in a circular motion to dislodge caked-on stains. Wet a clean paper towel with water, and use to rinse stain and baking soda residue from the cooktop. Dry with a clean paper towel.