Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgctb

Liebherr HC 1050 replacing ice maker

dgctb
10 years ago

Has anyone replaced the ice maker in a Liebherr HC 1050? My tray cracked and the company sent me a replacement unit with no instructions. After 45 minutes on the phone with the technician coaching me on how to do so, I still can't get the unit out. I really don't want to have to pay some one to come out and do this, but following instructions by phone doesn't work and I can't find written instructions and diagrams anywhere.

Thank you for any advice.

Comments (23)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

How many spare trays did they send you? (lol) Frustrating a 99cent tray does not hold up in cold temps. It is the wrong plastic for the job...Funny isn't it? that the tray spins upside down when frozen, then it gives a bit of twist tension from the back end, (and where it cracks), spins back upright, squirts water to fill...when cracked, water leaks through hairline crack and fills ice bin with 2 cubes full of water along with half full ice.
    Most people think initially that their ice is melting and freezing in a clump. Nope it is a 99cent tray that costs $$$ after warranty is up. (Grrrr)
    Try youtube. I did see a video a while back but he shows replacing the tray AFTER the unit has already been removed from the fridge. Sounds like that is your trouble? (can't get the unit out? There is an 'appliance' forum. Actual service folk assist with these problems.
    Mine needs replacing as well. I did a repair that held up, (a food grade apoxy not unlike your basic 'super glue'), then cracked again in another spot.
    When i called to get a few trays, it was over a hundred for the 'kit' + shipping for one 99cent tray. I do not need the entire 'kit'. And the guy was not so nice. Or rather did not want to help me...the 'friday afternoon guy with a head cold', haha....so instead i did my repair that lasted a couple months...now i have taken out the middle freezer drawer, (also cracked, at the handle region) and have a stack of three grocery store manual trays that cost 2.99. Makes ice much faster manually and my ice drawer is always full now.
    Did you purchase the repair 'kit' ?. Like i mentioned try youtube and please share what you find out. We had no trouble removing our unit, just a bit of a pain. That was a few months ago and doubt i have the written skill to explain it...if your unit is out and changing the tray is your trouble, the youtube video will help.
    If you had to pull out your fridge to unplug from power source, do check your drain pans while you are at it. Mine were a bit funky and easy to clean at the same time.

• dgctb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your unfortunate experience. Yes, I have the entire kit and, yes, the problem is that I can't remove the one that's in there now to replace it. I understand from the technician that I need to press two knobs on either side up into the housing while simultaneously pushing the unit to release a spring load, at which point it is supposed to eject. But I need 2 hands and 2 screwdrivers to press the knobs up, and without a third hand I can't push the unit at the same time. I'm not even sure I'm doing it correctly. And unfortunately can't find a video. If you are able to find one and direct me I would be VERY grateful.

• stephd
    10 years ago

I have the same problem, dgctb. If you find out how to remove the existing ice maker, will you please post? Thank you!

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I have the CBS2062 and I want to remove the icemaker completely to gain additional freezer space. I don't use the icemaker in the unit bc I have a separate undercounter ice machine. But I'd love to know how to just take the liebherr icemaker out entirely.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• eleena
    10 years ago

"Most people think initially that their ice is melting and freezing in a clump."

Oh, that was us!!! We stopped using the ice maker because of that. If only I could take the darn thing out...

I'd be waiting with a baited breath for someone to post the instructions how to do it...

• Pain
    10 years ago

It's easier if you remove the shelf below the ice maker. If you look at the ice maker from underneath [lay on your back] you will see that it actually slides in from the front of the freezer, and in the center of the ice maker, on either side, there are 2 'snap locks', one on either side. Use a screw driver in each hand and push up on the snap locks while someone else pulls the ice maker out toward the front of the freezer. Once out, you can remove the wire plugged into the unit.

You can do it by yourself, but, if like me, you put too much pressure on the snap lock you will break one or both of them. Try not to do that. Just push up on the plastic tabs and the unit will slide out toward the front as soon as you release the snap locks. That's why it's easier with 2 people. I don't know how you could do it alone without breaking one of the clips, which I did. With one of them broken then I could release the other one and pull the unit out by myself.

Now, where can I get a new ice maker?

• Dmitry Kolosov
    7 years ago

You posted a link to a Private video on YouTube. No one can see it but you,

• PRO
    Arai Design
    7 years ago

Thanks Dmitry! I changed it to public.

• James Gehan
    7 years ago

Chris - thanks so much for creating this video. It was really helpful and thanks for the time to post it. I have same issue with my Liebherr HC2062 refrigerator - cracked ice tray fell out. We bought unit in 2010 - this is 3rd issue with the unit (drawer tabs broke off-twice, gasket for french doors is frayed and now the ice maker). Were you able to buy the ice tray replacement?

• tomago47
    7 years ago

Arai Design: The link to that video is broken. Can you please (!) repost it..

• James Gehan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

tomago47: TIP on getting the job done: In late September, after I saw the video from Chris, I looked for ways to order parts from Liebherr - which is not straightforward. I posted on the Liebherr Facebook page that I was looking for places to order replacement parts - and one of their team (Wolfgang I think) put me in touch with a group in FL that had the parts - which they sent for free (for my frig that was from 2010) and then offered to install for free. I don't know if you'll get the same service, but it worked out great for me.

• PRO
    Arai Design
    7 years ago

Tomago, I clicked on the link above and it worked. Try it again. I'll check to make sure it's still public.

Chris

• Chris Stephen
    7 years ago

Forgot to mention, the written instructions in the box are all in German. No English counterpart. Thankfully all of the information we need is here on this posting/text string. Thank you to all

• sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

Hi James Gehan, can you give me the name of company in FL that had the parts? we just experienced this with our ice maker. clumps of ice!! thanks. so we just need the tray? the tray fell out and DH put back in, but after reading this thread i am assuming the tray is cracked...

• James Gehan
    7 years ago

Hi sprtphntc7a - I looked for this info. However, since this was Sept, I don't still have the info of the FL company unfortunately.

If you have a Facebook acct, I suggest you go to this page - Liebherr FB page and there is a Message Now button. I rarely use FB, but I sent them a note, with a picture of my SN info, model info of the frig (inside left in frig section), my phone and email, I explained I was looking for a parts supplier for this ice tray.

I got a reply in 24 hrs from Wolfgang at Liebherr and a call from the group in FL in less than another 24 hrs.

Note - my unit is 2010, the replacement tray part is a slightly different design to overcome some of the issues with original design, but it required a change in 2 parts (tray and large rectangular housing) and you need to move the whole motor assy with electronics to the new housing. In the end, they offered to come in to replace for free, so I said sure.

BTW Chris S - if you have all instructions in German - use Google Translate - awesome for reading instructions, menus or other stuff in other languages, and does excellent job of translation on the fly. Here is the iPhone app- link

• sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

Thanks so much!!! i am not on FB, but will have DD do it for me!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

• sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

Hi James G. they contacted me the next day and i had a service call yesterday!! they installed new housing and tray! only thing was i did not have a new filter, which came today, of course. we installed our selves and now hoping that we have ice by tomorrow. he did say we had to bleed the line to get the air out, which we did, so hoping we did it right. we tried to call the # on our manuel but they do not service the frigs's anymore. i called the # that they contacted me with and waiting for a call back, hopefully tomorrow. the number is 1-407-203-6668 or 1-407-359-5929, extension 7014. that is Jesus's number. he was told by Wolfgang to replace my ice maker. Got a call from a local service company and they were ready to come on Monday with parts and install, no cost to me, but i could not be home, so they came yesterday.!! Amazing service!!

so the # on the manuel is basically no good... i wish they would update their website!! the new service company's name is: Plus 1 Solutions.

• HU-549581869
    4 years ago

Hi! Pretty old string but one of the best videos explaining the Liebherr ice maker. Mine 99 cent tray cracked at the base where the rotor motor is located - and really fell down in the big box collecting ice. A new tray cost nearly 100 Euro! Grrrrr! First of all: one does not need to move/loosen the motor, because the tray is elastic and can be forced out of the inner base by just bending the tray. Secondly, the tray is delivered with a temperature sensor located under a plastic shielding with 3 hooks going via about 15 cm cord to a connector intended to connect behind the motor. Do not try to dismantle the motor. Use the old temperature sensor and cord still connected to the motor and absolutely good enough to reuse. In stead disconnect the three hooks with a polygrip squeezing the triangular part together at the base and thus unhooking. Then align the old cord and sensor where the old was, put the styren-piece on top and then hook the three hooks up securing the sensor to the bottom of the tray. Place the base end (sensor part of tray) at the motor fitting and squeeze the other end into its hole. I did take the ice maker out to see how the machine works, and reconnected before I got the 100 Euro tray and diddn´t have to take the machine out again - it is possible to change the tray without taking the ice maker out of the freezer.

Hope this helps! And wondering when the next crack is due...

• safemommy
    3 years ago

I have the 2062 and am in the process of defrosting the freezer to remove a layer of ice that has formed along the bottom and back wall. I need to remove the freezer tray in order to clean up the melted ice. After reading the freezer compartment container removal instructions, I don't have enough clearance to get the drawer out even at an angle and wondering how far this drawer should open? I only get 13.5" on the drawer glide (pic attached), anyone else?

• James Gehan
    3 years ago

I just confirmed the same 13.5 inches. You tilt the front out and might need to unscrew a few bolts.

• James Gehan
    3 years ago

Tilt it up.