Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antiquesilver

DCS Oven Light Replacement

antiquesilver
13 years ago

One of the oven lights has burned out in my RG366 AG range. The manual says to remove the cover by unscrewing it counterclosewise & replace the bulb. The problem is, I can't budge the glass cover. It has possibly 1/8" of play in turning it but that seems to be intentional & not part of the tightening/loosening action (hope that makes sense). Does anyone have any suggestions or know if it takes several complete turns, or 1/4 turn then pull, or what? It's aggrievating to see only half what you're cooking!

Comments (15)

• antiquesilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks laat2. The range has been in use for 7 years but neither bulb has needed replacement until now. The cover on the good light is the same as the burned out one & I can't make either one move in such a way that it starts to loosen; the oven is relatively clean so I don't think that's the problem. I'm thinking a strap wrench might be my next alternative but the real problem is the depth of the oven & the fact that the cover is heavy glass. The older DCS ranges were deeper than counter depth & it can be a bear to reach the back - even for those of us with long arms - & I'd rather not risk breaking the cover by using more force than necessary but it may be the only solution.

I'd love to hear from any DCS owner who has replaced one. Surely I'm not the only owner who has had a bulb burn out.

• weissman
    13 years ago

Have you tried calling DCS service? They might be able to give you some tips. I have an 8 year old DCS range and haven't needed to replace the oven lights yet so I'm anxious to find out how you fare. I did have trouble changing a bulb in the hood a few years back. I couldn't get the screws out myself. I had a friend come over to drill them out but he was able to get them out with a screwdriver.

• antiquesilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Weissman, I've been saving that for a last resort since F&P didn't make it & it's also a model discontinued long before their takeover. I'll keep you posted.

• antiquesilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I finally got around to buying a small strap wrench; it worked like a charm! (It's perfect for opening jars, too.) The hard part is tightening the strap around the cover because of the oven's depth & the fact that the lights are at the very top, but after that it takes only a few seconds. The cover is threaded for 1.5 - 2 turns & the actual bulb is a 40W clear appliance bulb.

• weissman
    13 years ago

thanks for the update

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Great news you successfully got the cover off without mishap and also that the bulb wasn't one of those cost an arm and a leg halogen items. Well done!

• antiquesilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, laat2, I have those in my VAH, but at least they're easy to get to & don't seem to be stuck! Thanks for the suggestion of the strap wrench - I'd never heard of one before.

• dsm1212
    10 years ago

Very old note, but just in case someone else trips on this. I read this and couldn't get a strap wrench to work. I was a bit afraid of breaking the glass cover. I called DCS/FPK and they said to take a flat knife or screwdriver and gently pry the glass cover apart from the metal ring it is seated in. Insert the blade at an angle between the glass and the metal ring you can barely see and then move the handle of your blade toward the back of the oven. It's like you are prying the glass out but it won't move. Darn if that didn't work fine. 2 or 3 prys (which didn't seem to do anything to me) and it turned right out. Worked on both of them which were burned out. I think the prying just lets some air in there and breaks the adhesion which built up over time.

• Darryl Yoes
    6 years ago

Old thread, but thank you all for posting. Worked like a champ. Our were both stuck hard after a decade's worth of use.

• hanss200
    5 years ago

Thanks. This worked the glass cover is basically a modified mason jar ant the threads get stuck. A paint scraper helped but the strap wrench is the key to opening the jar

• PRO
    Christine McLellan at William Raveis Real Estate
    3 years ago

Thx all for the hints - this thread is an oldie but goodie! Got the mason jar style cover off w/ the strap wrench. Only thing is at some point the cover cracked in half - no idea if this was before I started or not - I'm not that strong!!

Replaced bulb and carefully put cover back over it so I can use oven. Then found a replacement cover on eBay - hopefully this all works!

Thank you for all your help!

• HU-690851338
    3 years ago

This thread is a great help and the tips keep coming as we try different things. I found a great tool for this job. I used a rubber jar opener and it work a charm. The glass cover was quite slippery and I was worried about breaking it because they just wouldn't move. But with the rubber lid remover I could grip it firmly and turn it back and forwards until it loosened.

• HU-690851338
    3 years ago

This thread is a great help and the tips keep coming as we try different things. I found a great tool for this job. I used a rubber jar opener and it work a charm. The glass cover was quite slippery and I was worried about breaking it because they just wouldn't move. But with the rubber lid remover I could grip it firmly and turn it back and forwards until it loosened.

• HU-958905064
    5 months ago

Thanks for the advice --- although it's a tight fit, I used a strap wrench & covers came off easily.