Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DishDrawer as a drying rack?

Posted by dton13 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 16:27

Hey guys,

I have a question, which might seem stupid but here goes.

My family has never used a dishwasher, ever. We recently renovated and decided to get a DishDrawer with the intention of using it to as a drying rack when unused. However, we're finding that the water does not drain from the bottom when we leave dishes to dry inside. We've checked the filter and ran the garborator. We need to run a new cycle to clear the dirty/smelly water pooling inside. We didn't notice this happening when we first got the dishwasher, but its only about 2 months old!

Which brings me to my question, can you use the dishdrawer as a drying rack? When I look at the plumbing there's a loop which makes it seem physically impossible for the water to cross the loop without pressure from the cycle. I've always been under the assumption that you could use a dishwasher as a drying rack when it's not being used, but it doesn't seem like so.

Help? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DishDrawer as a drying rack?

You apparently have an installation problem with your DishDrawer. There shouldn't be any "dirty/smelly" water pooling in either the upper or lower drawer unless it's back-feeding from the sink or disposer. My unit is over 8 years old and I've *never* had water pooling in either drawer.

Any water dripping from wet dishes placed inside would accumulate and won't drain out unless the unit is run, but that'd be clean water and it wouldn't be much.

I'd recommend against using the unit as a "drying rack." I assume in doing that, you load wet dishes then close the drawer. There's no active airflow through the closed drawer, nothing to provide for evaporation and dispersal of the moisture, and no way to set it for a "dry only" cycle. Much more facilitating to simply place your wet items on a dishrack in your sink or on the countertop beside it.

I'm also not understanding why you'd buy a dishwasher and not use it for washing dishes. ?????

o

Thanks for the response!

We don't typically use the dishwasher (only for large gatherings) but we do sometimes store large dinnerware to dry in it when our actual drying rack is full. But you're correct in that there's very little evaporation when its sealed shut.

I guess I was incorrectly under the assumption that a dishwasher would drain any water that pools up as the result of dishes drying in there. Although looking at the plumbing now, that looks impossible. I guess that's normal.

The smelly water seems like a bit of the disposal unit pushing back and we should get that looked at.

Thanks again

o

Dishwashers do not drain via gravity. An electric pump runs for draining the wash and rinse water, and of course to spray water over the dishware (your unit takes approx 0.8 gal per fill) for washing and rinsing.

My strong recommendation is to USE the dishwasher. It's not providing any benefit to you sitting idle. The cost per load is quite low. You don't have to run it after every meal or even every day. I'm a single-person household. Not unusual that it takes two or three days to collect a full load (in one drawer) if I haven't done much cooking. The dishes wait patiently. And it's NOT necessary to rinse the items before loading. Dump and scrape off food bits and scraps, yes ... rinse under a running faucet, no.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here