Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microwave OTR Install - Outlet Issues

Posted by OyiwaaNoela (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:17

Hello, I am planning to install my GE Adora OTR microwave.

I just replaced the 18" cabinet with a 12" to provide adequate space between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave.

Next I have to place an electrical outlet (receptacle) in the cabinet immediately above the intended location of the microwave.

As the attached picture shows, there is already an electrical wire available - this was from the hood that used to be there.

I guess this involves placing an outlet into the cabinet and extending the existing wire there.

Is it advisable I take this job on myself ? I have installed wall outlets before -- but I have not handled the job of extending the wire behind the wall.

Any other cautions / issues to be aware of as I plan to do this work?

cheers, Oyi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microwave OTR Install - Outlet Issues

"Extending the wire..." I'm no electrician by a long stretch, but I'm quite sure that by code any junction must be accessible.

If you're going to break the rules (you wouldn't be the first) at minimum I would join the wires securely within a junction box.

o

Sure. The wire is already behind the wall. If you need to get to it, perhaps to pull a staple or something like that, bust out some drywall now and repair the mess before mounting your microwave. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Does this microwave have a hard wire option, and so do you plan to plug in a mountable microwave using an outlet and a line cord? If so, do you plan to run the cord through a hole in the overhead cabinet and THEN into an outlet? I would not do this myself unless it was a last option.

Did you know that there is a "clock outlet" that sits into the wall directly behind the microwave? It has a deep enough recess to shield the plug and take some extra cord slop. Drop it in that back wall!

If you want the outlet to be in the existing cabinet, just cut a hole for an old-work electrical box. It will actually mount to the cabinet back wall (if you cut well) and not the wall, and just be sure there's enough pigtail to reach it. To snag the wire, just reach in through the outlet hole before mounting the box.

o

I sense a lack of familiarity with NFPA 70, the National Electrical Code (NEC) (assuming the OP is in the USA). Familiarity with its requirements is a must for modern and safe electrical construction. The NEC Handbook available from the NFPA embeds the NEC and provides very useful interpretations and advice throughout the text.

To put it another way, you can pay to have someone who is familiar with the NEC do your wiring installation/modification, or you can pay to obtain the knowledge you need, the tools you need, and the parts you need. The latter is more cost-effective over one's lifetime if one is sufficiently adept, but only the OP can know what his lifetime of household repairs and modifications is likely to entail to choose which path to take.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here