Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

crossposting How high to mount a 24 inch deep, 36 inch wide hood?

scrappy25
9 years ago

I have read all 50 plus of the previous hood height mounting threads but people do not always mention the depth of their hood.

I posted this in the Kitchens forum but got only one response.

I am considering using a thermador PHH36DS (in my possesion, bought on clearance a while back) which is a standard under cabinet type hood with a 600 cfm blower above a 36 inch Gaggenau induction oven. The hood is 24 inches deep, 12 inches high, and 36 inches wide. The front edge is 3.5 inches tall. I was considering 30 inches above the cooktop which would be 66 inches from the ground. Fine for me but my husband is 5'8" (68 inches tall) and it seems like this might be a perfect head banger for him at the 24 inch depth and 66 inches off the ground. Didn't really realize this until I got the 3Ds from the kitchen designer and it sticks out almost to the edge of the counters. I am planning inset cabinets so that the counter edge will only be .75 inches past the edge of this hood.
Also, I read this thread which raised my anxiety about these deep hoods (also linked below) and head-banging at the 30 inch height.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg082231514902.html

So my specific question for you appliance gurus is this- can I raise this hood to 32 inches over the cooktop? The thermador installation manual says "Typical hood height above the cooktop is 24 to 30 inches". There is no mention of "recommended" or "required.", How much am I compromising the air intake with this slight increase in height? The main gaggenau induction burner that we will be using is in the dead center of the cooktop. The top and lower cabinets will each be pulled out about 2.5 inches along that run so there will be increased depth in the back that will be covered by a stainless plate.

thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood hood design mistake- 24 inch deep , 30 inches over cooktopm head banger

Comments (2)

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Here's my Rangecraft mounted 29" from my rangetop grates (about 30.25" from counter). It's 24" deep and 42" wide.

It's hard to get a photo in my space that shows how it covered the front burners. The outside edge of the vent just barely covers front burner. I'm 5' 7.5" tall. DH is 6'. The only time I've hit the hood is when I'm wearing my extra tall cooking shoes, which I don't do often, and have my hair piled on my head in a big banana clip. Under these circumstances when I approach the rangetop from the corner of the hood, I sometimes hit my clip on the hood. My clip, not my head. If I approach straight on even in my tallest cooking shoes with big hair clip, I've never hit the hood. I don't recall DH ever hitting his head, nor do I recall anyone else in my kitchen hitting theirs.

I wish the front interior of the hood covered the front burners. As it is now, I cook my smelliest, greasiest, smokiest stuff on the back center burner for better capture. If I try to do that on the front burners, some of the effluent still escapes the front of the hood because the capture part of the hood doesn't completely cover the burner.

I remember reading that thread you linked when I was researching hoods. That was one of very few I read where people complained of hitting their head. From what I've read here over four years, most people don't have an issue with head banging.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks Breezy! Your kitchen is one of my favorite on GW!

If 30.25"works for you at 5'7.5 inches then 31" (67 inches from floor) should work for me with my men all being slightly taller than you.

After reading these gazillion threads I have decided that the worst height for a head banger hood is right above eye level, (2-3 inches below height of person) since the forehead juts out. Just an inch below head height and probably the person's hair will touch the hood first , and even that small bit of proprioception should prevent head banging. If the hood is eye level or below (tall people). that also seems to prevent the head banging.

Do you or anyone else know if there could be a problem with passing inspection if I place the hood 31 inches high and the Thermador literature says , "Typical installations are 24-30 inches from the countertop."? The gaggenau cooktop asks for at least 30 inches to the hood surface if it is combustible (this one is not).
    thanks again.