Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandbox5

Will I be sorry? Gas *and* induction??

sandbox5
13 years ago

I am having a horrible time making a decision about a cooktop/range top and my CM is forcing me to do it soon...

I thought for sure that I wanted a 36" gas cooktop and he suggested a range top because one of my biggest complaints is not enough cooking surface for my pans. I have 3 kids (2 with severe food allergies) so I cook A LOT. I often have many burners going at one time because I cook separate meals for everybody quite often.

That being said, I was fine until I started reading here about induction....I love the way it looks (I especially like the sleek GE mirror finish) and I like the time aspect of cooking on it.

DH is skeptical abt induction. Pots are not an issue. SO I thought I would combine a 30" gas cooktop with a 15" induction module. Looking into the future, will I regret not getting something that will be a standard size? I have a 48" JennAire now that I abhor. That's what started the whole kitchen remodel...trying to work around that blasted cooktop.

Any thoughts??? Anyone done this already? Photos to share would be greatly appreciated...

TIA,

Robin

Comments (9)

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Is that 15" a single? There are some doubles in that range, I think. The 30" is 4 burners?

It will depend on the type of cooking you do. Are you grilling? Wokking? etc-ing?

• sandbox5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No Weeds, it's a double induction. The 30" would be 4 burners. I rarely grill inside (mostly 'cause I have a crappy JennAire with downdraft). I do "wok" on occasion but not enough to justify something special.
    I would like to be able to use a grill pan though. I don't want to add a griddle but would like to use one on the top.
    TIA.

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

Same issues here, was thinking gas range top w 6 burners & griddle plus 15" induction domino, nit sure if single or double & seeking similisr advice.maybe wolf or gag domino? But openminded since hadn't even thought convection till we got to this site

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

Sorry obviously typos galore but specifically meant INDUCTION not "convection"

• sandbox5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

advice from the regulars here. I have found this site to be a wealth of information!

• billp1
    13 years ago

We were also deciding which way to go after cooking with gas all our lives but decided to go with a Miele induction cooktop.

Just seemed the best way for us after doing our research.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

I know elizpiz has both induction and gas in her kitchen. See the link below for some photos but I know there are more photos, probably in the finished kitchen blog. There is another member that was did that more recently but I always forget the member's name.

Here is a link that might be useful: gas & induction

• geo91324
    13 years ago

With our recently completed kitchen remodel (well, almost completed), we went with a Wolf 48" rangetop on the perimeter and a Wolf 15" induction hub on the island. While we love the rangetop (we had a Wolf 48" in our previous house which we also loved), we LOVE the induction hub. While the rangetop can do ultra low simmers as well as very high btus, it just can't compete with the induction for either ultra high power or very steady temperature control.

Because the hub is so easy to clean, we always do the "messy" cooking on that and for the most part, the rangetop is only used when we need more than 2 burners. But the rangetop sure looks good!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Gizmonike has a gas range and an induction wok module (flat single burner, extremely high power).

I have a 24" induction (imported) and 15" two burner gas. I love them. They're under a 48" hood, so it's all well vented, and makes it a standard size.

"30 inch" is not an exact size and can range from 28+ inches to 31+ inches. With a little luck and care you can probably fit that next to a 15" module within 48" as well.

In your situation, however, I'd go for most or all induction. Get an inexpensive portable unit to try out before you decide. It won't have the same amount of power or control as a built in unit, but you'll get an idea about how induction handles. If nothing else, tending all those pots without standing over a hot stove is worth it. So's being able to clean as you cook. And you'll be able to have the kids help that much sooner. If there are things you make that you really want or need open flames for, or if you have regular power outages, by all means get gas, but otherwise, it's really not necessary.