Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction - maximum pan size?

Posted by soibean (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 15:56

I was looking through the Miele manual to get a sense of how the cooktops work, and for each hob, they specify a minimum and maximum pan size. I'm not much worried about the minimum, but I am concerned that the maximum pan size would limit my ability to shuffle pots around on the cooktop while I'm working.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this? If you put a large pot on a small-ish hob, does performance drop off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction - maximum pan size?

I saw this only after I responded to a similar question at the end of the other thread on "Induction Question."

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0708501023840.html?24613

I'll just summarize. You can move large pans onto small hobs just as you can on any other kind of stove. And, you will have the same kinds of considerations that you have when putting a large pan on a small burner or any other kind of stove. Obviously, a small burner puts out less heat that a large one, so performance drops off in that sense.

You should be able to avoid one problem that occurs with oversize pans on radiant smoothtops, Oversize pans on smoothtop radiant burners can confuse the sensors that regulate heat cycling and result in large pans not being able to boil water or result in taking an extremely long time to bring water to a boil. Induction does not use those kinds of sensors.

See this link for a more detailed recent disucssion of this subject:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0708501023840.html?24613

o

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion - I started a new thread because it seemed like the new question got lost in the original thread.

o

No need to apologize. Also, I think I posted the same link twice when I meant to have a link to another thread on a similar question. I meant to send you to the one below. See if it has answers for your questions. if it does not, it should at least help narrow things down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using two 11 inch pans on induction

o

There is an issue on some units of a hot pan overlapping under-surface electronics and overheating them. Use of silicone pads to "air-gap" the pan from the surface MIGHT extend the safe diameter in these cases. It likely depends on what temperature one runs the pan base at. Wokking is a lot hotter than frying eggs.

Also note that the diameter bounds specified for hobs is the flat bottom surface of the pan, and not the wider diameter at the top of the pan.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here