Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New kitchen range and microwave?

Posted by honey_badger (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 15:56

I've been absorbing so much data from GW recently and am blown away at what i have learned relative to the upcoming kitchen remodel. THANKS!
I am at the point where I need to place an order for appliances and find myself unsure about the range and microwave. I want the most bang for the buck, but also want reliability and clean esthetics. I will be moving to an electric glass top range from my beloved 40" 1941 GE range. I don't need an induction top and will prefer free-standing. Convection might be nice.
Presently i have a quote for a Frigidaire FGEF3055MF which seems like a nice model but then I looked at AJMadison and it has almost no feedback. The one that caught my eye is the LG LRE30453 - high volume of feedback, most of which is good. I am not familiar with either of these companies to know if either of them are any good at making ranges. Or if there is some other company i should be considering. I have been warned to stay away from samsung until they mature more in this market. would like to keep it under 1K since I'm not enough of a cook to justify the bells and whistles that come with fancy appliances. And whatever range I chose, I will probably go with a microwave from the same line. Any suggestions? thx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New kitchen range and microwave?

Frigidaire is a builder grade line. At your price point, GE makes a better and more reliable range. Their MW's are also pretty decent, unless you are talking OTR MW, in which none of them from anyone is very good at venting.

o

Thanks Hollysprings! I'm looking at the LG OTR MW which has 400cfm- probably overkill on an electric range. I'll take another look at GE.

o

LG has a good reputation for its microwaves. One of the models has a pullout screen fora better ventilation system, although there are varying opinions on how well it works. I have had sharp, GE, and panasonic microwaves. I replaced a sharp countertop with a more highly rated panasonic. I prefer the sharp for ease of use. My panasonic also squeaks. Since sharp and panasonic make most of the microwaves on the market, I recommend choosing between those two manufacturers. Sharp is more intuitive then panasonic. There is no need to match appliances. Choose the appliance that functions the best for your needs.
This GE sounds like it would be good for you. It lists for around $1300 so if you shop around you can probably find it for $1,000.

GE Profile PB975DT
30" Freestanding Smoothtop Electric Range with 5 Heating Elements, Tri-Ring Element, 6.6 cu. ft. PreciseAir Convection Double Oven and Self-Clean

o

I have an LG OTR microwave. It's 5 years old and dying. The fan is 350 cfm, over a gas range, and not very helpful. It would be easier, and cheaper to replace a countertop unit.

I do love my LG fridge, and am going to make that purchase again in the new build. I am not going with the OTR microwave ever again.

o

Why on earth get rid of the 40" 1941 GE gas range?

Rebuild it if needed, it will outlast any new range you could buy for 10X the price.

o

Interesting that Nunyabiz has posted here as he/she has posted on using OTR microwaves and has pics of one (an LG, I think) over an NXR stove and reports that the combination works pretty well.

As for Nunyabiz's question, I'm not sure that the 1941 GE is a gas range. I'm guessing that it probably is a vintage electric range. There is an enthusiast market for the electric ones, too, and the asking prices are startling.

Reasons why I would want to replace the old GE, whether gas or electric, start with the odd size and odd burner layout, Often, there were four rather small burners clustered on one side. (Some of these stoves also had a deep well for a stewpot, though). IIRC, some these things had only four 6-inch calrod burners, too. (Maybe that was the Hotpoint version?) Some of them also had push-button temperature settings versus a dial, and some of those only had four setting. (That might have been late 1940s and 50s, though; do not recall if the push buttons started in the early 1940s). Ovens -- well, I want convection and self-cleaning. Modern ovens tend to heat a lot more evenly.

But, think of this stove as being like a 1941 Packard car. It is valuable and somebody will want it. I may not be interested in restoring one, let alone putting it to daily use, but there are people who will be passionately interested.

If you do not find a buyer, Honey_Badger, please try donating it to something like the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store.

As for the specific stoves you mentioned:

Frigidaire electric stoves have a so-so reputation for reliabiity and durability. Consumer Reports indicates that that similar Frigidaire models do a pretty good job with low heat, high heat and baking but are subpar for broiling and so-so on self-cleaning.

LG glass-top radiant stoves get better ratings from CR but there have not been enough sold to get reliability information from the annual membership surveys A few years back, when LG first began marketing appliances here in a big way, it garnered a reputation for lousy service and support. (Probably still building the network for that, but it does give one pause.)

GE (and Hotpoint) seem far and away the most reliable electic stoves. (Completely different story on refrigerators, but that is a different division, apparently.)

Have you looked at anything in GE's JB65 model line? They seem to be in about the same price range as the Frigidaire you looked at.

o

You have a pretty good memory JWVideo.
My Maternal grandparents had the GE range with the pushbuttons, but it had more than 4 for each burner, was 6 or 7 as I recall, but that was a long time ago.

What fascinated me as a kid back then, was each button lit up in a different color, green, purple, yellow, orange, red, blue. Sometimes we would go up to visit the grandfolks and most of the lites on the buttons were burnt out,---they could see how disappointed I was and they would replace the lites.

Yeah!!!!! I Admit it, L LUV pushbuttons---that's why I drive a 1959 Dodge Convertible!

Gary

o

I do love the 1941 stove. it is push button, with all the burners on one side which leaves a nice blank area for my blender or whatever. Stove also has an outlet which rocks in a kitchen where they are few and far between. i am hoping to sell it on Craigslist to someone who will want to restore it. I would keep it but it would stick out like a sore thumb in a kitchen full of stainless.

As for the frigidaire range and OTR microwave, i was having second thoughts as i read a lot of good reviews on ALMadison for the LG LRE30453ST range which i can get at sears for $800 (last one as they are discontinued), and the LMV1683 microwave with convertible venting (LG microwaves seem to not be all that ventible to the outside). However, then i found more sites that had reviews where the LG range was panned big time! Now i am not sure. I'll take a look at the JB65 series from GE to see if anything lights my fire.

o

Honey_Badger;

I probably should have said the JB6xxx series. Like most large volume stove makers, GE has a ton of different model numbers. So maybe the JB64 is sold through Sears and the JB 65 through Lowes and maybe they are the same stove. Or maybe there are slight variations to confuse comparison shoppers. Also, have you seen the link below to a current discussion? It is about slide-in stoves but the model numbers probably translate to freestanding versions, as well.

Gary:

At the risk of setting off the old fart warning klaxon, I do remember the Chrysler corps' pushbutton transmission controls because one of the cars in which I learned to drive was my uncle's a 1963 Plymouth Fury. It had the transmission push-buttons on the dash to the left of the steering column. That was when "digital controls" meant you were poking things with your fingers. Come to think of it, doesn't your relatively new induction cooktop require pushing buttons on a touch panel?

The compliment on my memory is undeserved. I'm only going back three or four years for the details on the 40-inch GEs and Hotpoints. I live in a town that was an economic backwater from the late 1950s up to about 1992, so a lot of old homes still have stoves from the 1940s and 1950s. I've helped five friends with remodeling projects that involved reconditioning or replacing the old beasts.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Stoves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here