Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

kenmore dishwasher detergent dispencer question

andrelaplume2
9 years ago

Kenmore Dishwasher model665.1373

I noticed my wife just dumping detergent into the base of the dishwasher. I said that's a waste...it just goes right down the drain as soon as it starts to fill. It also explains why the dishes to do get fully clean.

She said the door thing does not work...does not dispense the detergent...and in in fact new has.

I opened the door and it was indeed caked with detergent.

I opened the door, flooded it with warm water, cleaned it out and dried it. I then put some dishwashing powder in and closed the door.

As my wife predicted...the door never opens and you end up with a solid mass of detergent in there after the wash.

Why? What are we doing wrong?

Comments (7)

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

YOU might not be the problem. Quick Google search turns up:

" Most detergent dispenser doors are spring loaded. This means that the spring holding the door shut needs to be released by another component. The other component that will allow the dispenser door to open will either be the dishwasher's timer, a bi-metal switch, or a wax motor.

Not sure how long you've had it or if it is still under warranty. If it never worked and that was a long time ago, might be hard or impossible to prove that now.

Online you can find a lot of DYI steps to test components if that appeals to you. If not................service call?

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Oh...I hated my Kenmore DW for this very issue. I first used liquid detergent squeezed from a bottle, but that seemed to dry and glue the dispenser closed when I'd use the delay start. I'd open it in the morning only to find the soap hadn't dispensed. I switched to Finish Powerball tabs only to find the the stuff baked on in the dispenser like you've experienced. Part of the issue is that any of my big pots and pans in the lower rack blocked the dispenser lid when it tried to open during the cycle. IMHO, the placement of the dispenser is horrible. I often re-arranged dishes so as not to block the dispenser, but that was difficult sometimes as the dispenser is located right at pot level. The other issue was that the lid just sometimes didn't disengage. Maybe it was from being blocked too often early on in its life.

When I had a repair tech out looking at my rangetop, I asked him about the DW. He said its common for that to happen. He suggested either ordering a new dispenser from Sears to see if that helped, or just listening for the time when the dispenser would open and then opening the DW to check to make sure it dispensed the detergent. I chose the latter, but that got old reeeeeeaaaal fast as I run the DW about twice a day. I remember starting the DW at night when I just wanted to go to bed, and waiting around for the dispenser opening time. Ugh.

This was just part of the reason I couldn't wait to get rid of my Kenmore. I was so happy when it died. I bought a heavily discounted clearance Miele and have never experienced this issue as the dispenser is located much better on the door. And it's leagues quieter also. Oh...and it cleans better.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Try using a Quantum Finish tab in the bottom of the DW, not in the dispenser. The casing dissolves over time so it won't all flush down the drain.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

..will look into the Quantum Finish.

I'd LOVE to know how the dispenser is to open. To manually open you have to pull back on the lever...I do not see any mechanism in there that will engage the lever....if its their, mechanically speaking....I'd love to know how its suppose to work. BTW..I see similar levers on the current line of maytag and whirlpool dishwashers...I just don't get what would cause them to open?

• dadoes
    9 years ago

The dispenser is electric. A solenoid (or maybe a wax motor) triggers the latch to release at the proper time in cycle, per the timer or controller board.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I guess I need a new $50 dispenser....good greif...I may just leave it go....hopefullt all the detergent does not immediately fall out!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

You could just do what I did for a couple years. Start the unit and listen for when the detergent door should open. Then open the DW drawer and manually flip the lever to open the detergent door. It's easy, but annoying over time.

I never had the detergent fall out at the wrong time. It always got stuck inside until I performed the manual maneuver.