Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best range for approx. $500

Posted by thefrugalone (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:32

First post here, although I've been doing lots of research here this past week. Thank you to everyone who takes time to post their experience with your home items. I'm shopping for new appliances and flooring as I'm a first time homeowner and will be moving in in 4-8 weeks.

I am looking for a range for around $500 (or less) budget. It doesn't need bells and whistles. Self-cleaning would be good and I like coil models. I'm not a chef nor do i care about looks. Just want a basic stove that is reliable and will last.

My splurge appliance is going to be a speed queen washer. Otherwise I hope to go as budget conscious as quality allows.

I've read to avoid frigidaire dishwashers, but how are their budget ranges?
I'm looking at model numbers
FFEF3003NW
FFEF3005MW
LFEF3011LW

I know to avoid GE Profiles, but again, what about their budget ranges?
I'm looking at model
JBP23DRWW

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

This post was edited by thefrugalone on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best range for approx. $500

We put this one in (2009) in a vacation rental home. No problems at all. I even bought the extended warranty as I feared it would not last. Very pleased for the price. I am sure they have some coil models, but the smoothe is s cinch to clean with the cleansers they have for them. I also bought the over the range microwave, dishwasher, and fridge, and they are all working nicely without any problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire range

o

Thank you!

o

Frigidaire has not changed the basic make up of their gas range for around 20 years. The current platform dates back to the early 1990's.
I think for a low to middle end gas range they have most of the kinks worked out.

o

You may want to look at Hotpoint ranges. In the past it had a CR Best Buy rating. The oven baked perfectly and was huge. I really, really loved that range. It had a ceramic cooktop which worked fine. I was able to keep it in like new condition, but ceramic cooktops are a pain to clean with spill overs. Hotpoint is in the $500 price range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here