Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mesb69

Miele or GE Washing/Dryer machines

mesb69
11 years ago

Hello,

I have the option of buying (at the same price) a new set of Miele W4842/T9822 or a GE profile PFWS4600LWW/PFDS450GLWW. I have these to figure out:

1.- GE has steam while Miele doesn't.

2.- Miele is discontinuing these machines so maybe, will I be able to get parts for it?

3.- I checked that Miele units do laundry much better than these GE's.

What do you think I should do?

MS

Comments (11)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

1) Miele's on-board heater engages in all cycles to maintain indicated temperature. GE heater engages in sanitize and basketclean only. Engaging in all cycles is better than steam.

2) Miele,as well as most big established appliance companies,promises to have parts available for 20 years after discontinue date. GE washer/dryer should be in a landfill by then.

3) Buy the Miele

• dan1888
    11 years ago

I own a Miele washer bought at the model changeover. I cannot imagine a scenario where a GE would be a better choice, even without a financial consideration.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

For the same price, it's a no brainer, well assuming the GE is not built in the US.
    Get the Miele, not sure where they are built but it would be the far better appliance regardless of where it's built.

I do try , whenever possible to keep the "Yanks" working but in this case,
    (Like I did with my Miele Dishwasher) I had to go with the
    "Foreigner" (LOL)!

Gary

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

LG makes the laundry pair for GE.

Some are made in Mexico others S. Korea.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Lets see...if I could get a new BMW 318 or a Ford Focus for the same price, which would I take?...

• dodge59
    11 years ago

One would think the Focus, at least smart ones would.

Saw an almost new "Beamer SUV, a V8" smoking out the right tail pipe after it sat at different signals for a couple of minutes, How many Focus's have you seen smoking, especially new ones?

Gary

• larsi_gw
    11 years ago

@dodge59... Was it really smoke, or just a cold engine?

On all newer and new BMWs, unless under hard & heavy acceleration, only ONE tail pipe is open. BMW utilizes flaps on their dual tail pipes.

And how are you sure it was an almost new BMW? BMW keeps models for 6-7 years.

And this individual could have done non-factory engine mods, that really kill the emission controls on all high end cars. We've driven BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Porsche and Audi for over TWENTY years, and have NEVER had smoke from the tail pipes. Just saying!! ;))

• dgailwong
    11 years ago

Miele washing machines are made in Germany. The smaller Bosch units are too.

• krismcirl
    11 years ago

The Miele is by far the more superior machine. The quality alone is amazing. It will wash, rinse and spin better and you can increase the level of the rinse water if you aren't happy with it. In my opinion steam is a waste of time as I don't think the technology has been fully developed yet. Miele has a sanitize cycle which will do a much better job than steam. :-)

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I'm wondering how the new larger capacity LG front loads compare to the Miele.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WM8000HWA.html

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Both Bosch and Miele experienced quality problems in the first generation American size washer going from Euro size ~2.5 cu ft to American size 4-4.4 cu ft.

Now LG is going to 5.1 cu ft? As you go larger the forces on components grow exponentially. I would not buy the first generation 5.1 cu ft 29" washer.