Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vacuum was used on wet surface, no longer works

Posted by harry669 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 15:18

One of my children used our regular vacuum (not a shopvac) on a wet surface last night. Upon trying to use it this morning it wouldn't turn on and I noticed it leaking from the bottom. Opened it up and found the entire inside to be wet due to the liquid in the bag (which was the source of the leak).

Is this vacuum permanently dead? Pressing the power button literally does nothing, no startup for a second, just nothing happens at all. I don't want to risk fiddling with it for now for fear of a short happening and a possible fire starting. Does it need new wiring? Will it be fine once it dries?

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vacuum was used on wet surface, no longer works

Novice here, but like the miraculous recovery of dropped in the toilet cell phone by kids, tincture of time might help and may also aid your vacuum diagnostician. I don't suggest rice submersion though (many have reported success with water absorption by rice in further drying and bringing back to life the ubiquitous cell phone).

Good luck!

o

once rust begins it's only a matter of time before it forces you to replace some parts.
So, if it does start again one day when it's dry, it will only last for 'X' period of time before needing repair.

you can unscrew it and let more water out of it.

o

WOW, all I can think of is they are lucky they didn't get electrocuted!!!!!!!! GAH!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here