Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onekeysgirl_gw

help with wall ovens, refrige for new built-

onekeysgirl
9 years ago

As an avid reader of this forum as I try to make heads or tails of the appliance world, it's at a point that I must make decisions so I can order the cabinets. After thinking for the past year I was getting a 36 or 48 gas range (and choking on the price points to do so) I've recently had the realization that I want to go with 36" induction cooktop and wall ovens. I am very excited about this decision but am having trouble pinpointing which models exactly to go with. Thanking you all in advance for your advice and expertise.

I will note that I'd like to buy bricks and mortar and "local" (even if it's big box store) which means 1.5 hours in Miami as we have no place to purchase these items where I live in the Keys. With that, all service also comes from the mainland and is a big consideration so being reliable is an important feature. This seems to be the hardest to fulfill based on reviews!!

I like the 36" bosch 500 cooktop. Pretty sure this has the features I feel are most important: individual countdown timers, same size burners adjacent to "fake" a bridge, and great reviews here. Price point is acceptable ($1796) especially with the additional 10% rebate when you get 3 or more appliances. Dishwashers will likely be 2 800 series panel ready dishwashers.

My real troubles are the 30" double ovens... the builder's appliance store 1.5 hours away has a Bosch 30" double conv HBL8650UC display unit for $2283 while the new model is $2896. (both also on 10% rebate list) I'm not sold on having Bosch for this and would like to be at lower price point for this item. There's a Kenmore by Electrolux Model# 49533 that looks appealing for $1525 but is new as of April and there are no reviews yet. My must haves for the ovens is at least one being convection and a delay start function.

And the refrigerator. My space is 33", I'd like bottom freezer, don't care if it's single door or french door, without ice/water through the door. The Bosch FD that fits these parameters is $1817, again higher than I'd like, (also on rebate list). Plus I have yet to see one of their refrigerators that gets good reviews. The high end appliance store says they get no service calls on them but I find that hard to believe. They did say GE is the best choice for service in my area relating to getting a 2nd refrige for in the pantry.

I'm wondering if this info on GE is good advice to head for both refrigerators and the wall ovens??

I'm not sold on any one brand name, I don't mind have a "mutt" of a kitchen as long as the aesthetics don't totally clash and the performance is there. I also don't mind paying to get the features I want but do have budget constraints to stay within.

Again, any and all help and input on this is greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• Jean Popowitz
    9 years ago

I am in my newly-built home for four years. I have the GE Monogram suite of appliances except for my range which I brought with me. I do very much like the double wall ovens (with convection). I am not pleased with the refrigerator or dishwasher. I cannot comment on the brands you suggest; good luck!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I really don't think you could go wrong with either Bosch or GE. Before when GE was making their fridges in Mexico I would have said to stay away but I have one of their new french doors made in the USA and it is great. Look at model GNE26 if you don't want ice and water through the door. GE has always been good at cooking products. I would not hesitate to buy an oven from them.

Kenmore by Electrolux should also be a good oven, but I am not a fan of buying Kenmore because you are locked into Sears for warranty service and technical information is difficult for other service companies to access after the warranty has expired. I would rather buy Frigidaire or the Electrolux brand themselves. The reason you're having trouble finding reviews is that they are in the process of moving their factory from L'Assomption, Quebec, to Memphis, TN. The model numbers are changing so no reviews on the new ones yet.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 15:47

• onekeysgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your replies.

hvtech42- I appreciate your other detailed post on the double wall ovens for weespxx.

That's good information on the Kenmore. Their extended warranties are also more costly than others but I do know sears does send technicians to our area. I may contact Sears to see if the new model # correlates to an existing model from the CN plant.

I checked out that GE refrig, sadly it's made for a 36" spot and that's one thing I can't change. I did sorta like the slate color offered but they don't have a wall oven to match it either.

All of these options and choices are enough to make a sane person crazy!! I just ready to choose, not second guess it and move on!

• jmanos
    9 years ago

Onekeysgirl,

Would you update me on the choices you made and if you're happy with them?...what you may do differently, etc. I'm going through that whole crazy decision making process right now and am more confused than ever the more I read and talk to people. I was set on GE Monogram built in refrigerator and wall ovens. I then read reviews on here that said, "Don't buy GE." I talked to a friend who bought all Monogram appliances 2 years ago and has had her built in fridge serviced 3 times but loves the Avantium wall oven. Any advice or recommendations to pass on would be appreciated.