Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

How do you set a price for a used appliance?

brightm
9 years ago

We're renovating our kitchen and getting all new appliances. We gave our old appliances to my inlaws. We don't really expect anything for them but she wants to give us something. It's not that they're destitute and need our old appliances. They downsized about 8 months ago and aren't ready to dive into a full kitchen reno yet. They'll probably do it in a year or so. They had a horrible, loud, old apt sized fridge, non-functioning DW that were in the new place and her old top load W/D that came with them to the new place.

So obviously, I'm not looking for top dollar, but I don't want to tell her $50 each or something. The appliances were:

Samsung Refrigerator RSG257AARS (about 4 years old)
Samsung Dishwasher DMT800RHS (about 2 years old)
No problems for either. Teeny ding in the door of the freezer.

LG front loading W/D (about 8 years old...total guess) Functioning fine. A little weirdness with the detergent drawer.

Is there a KBB for appliances? Do I just make up a number? WWYD?

Comments (7)

• allen456
    9 years ago

You browse the appliance section of your local Craigslist.

• wekick
    9 years ago

To me you have two different considerations. What are the appliances worth? Appliances now days are supposed to last about 7 years, so you are there with the washer and dryer. The refrigerator and the DW, just depends on what people are willing to give you. I think you can get maybe 10- 20% of what you paid originally,on the open market. There is no warranty. Craig's list prices are what people want, not what things sell for. At Auction, I have seen almost new refrigerators go for $35 on up, but we were at a sale last week and a brand new Jennair frig went for $800.

What to charge your inlaws? I think your first thought is right and not to expect anything. If something happens to the appliances(especially when they are moved) then there could be hard feelings, but mostly I would never have passed up an opportunity to do something for my MIL. If they insist, then let them give you what they want to. I would not set the price.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'd probably tell them to take us out to dinner and call it a day.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

I agree with sjhockeyfan. You really can't put a price on it without the risk of family thinking "they should have insisted I not pay for it" even if that is unfair.

BTW- One of my inlaws picked out a very nice table and chair set that we were putting up for sale at a yard sale. She wanted to give us "something" for it and would not let it rest. She asked if $130" was fair and finally after saying "no, don't give us anything" we said "sure."

6 weeks later -no money, and she hasn't picked up the set. Doesn't set well with me at all.

• wekick
    9 years ago

"Posted by sjhockeyfan
    I'd probably tell them to take us out to dinner and call it a day."

That is the best idea.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I've tried telling her that she's actually helping us because to me there would be nothing worse than trying to sell them. She paid to have them moved and installed. That happened this morning and she's excited and happy with them. But she insists on something. (We're in a flurry of birthday's and anniversaries that they're already taking us out for, so that won't work this time of year.)

She'll appreciate not coming up with the number herself, I think. I'll come up with something. I'll tie it to something new we're getting. That's the kind of thing she'll like.

• yebo
    9 years ago

In similar situations I've asked for a donation to my favorite charity. You have to know how this would strike the person.