Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarav_gw

Fisher and Paykel refrigerators

Barbarav
9 years ago

Does anyone on this forum own a Fisher and Paykel refrigerator with the active smart compressor? I'm looking at the FD models with water and ice on the door. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

We have a new Fisher & Paykel fridge, but it's a different model than the one you're looking at. Ours is a single-door bottom freezer one with no icemaker (the saleslady thought I was nuts). It's only been a couple of months, but so far so good. The interior design is really nice -- it seems less "plasticky" than some others -- and the finish does indeed resist fingerprints. We have young children, so we have tested that part out pretty well. It would be nice if they offered the option of an internal icemaker without any door dispenser, but oh well. (We did not want a door dispenser.) Double check the door dispenser of the one you're looking at. I was under the impression that none of the F&P's had ice through the door, only water. It might not matter to you, but it's just as well to know before you take the leap. I will say that the ice cube trays that came with ours are about 10 times easier to get the ice out of than any other ice cube trays I've ever used.

Good luck with your decision. Ours was easier because a single-door fridge (not FD) works best with our kitchen layout, and I definitely wanted the freezer on the bottom, and I also very much wanted counter-depth so I could reach the cabinet above the fridge. And there is exactly one manufacturer of single-door bottom-freezer counter-depth fridges under 72" tall available in the US. So all we had to decide was whether or not to get the water dispenser/icemaker and whether to get the one with the freezer drawer or the one with the freezer door. (We got the one with the door and it's very cool. So to speak.)

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

I'm looking for the same setup (single-door, bottom-freezer, no water/ice dispenser) and, indeed F&P (oops, I meant Heier) is on the very, very short list.

Did you have a chance to check its noise patterns and level and whether it keeps the temperature constant (there were some reports on GW regarding bad temp regulation)?

Thanks,

• dennisgli
    9 years ago

I've had a F&P E522B far about a year - no ice.

I haven't had any temperature problems at all. The compressor is DC and it sounds a little different - it runs almost all the time at low speed but is very quiet. Even at high speed (or when defrosting?) I think it is quieter than my old Whirlpool.

I love the design.

• Barbarav
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Northcarolina, you're right about there not being ice in the door-only water. The only reason I want the water is because our water is awful and I use the filtered water of our present fridge a lot. I like the single door fridge as well as the French door and may go that route. Am I right in thinking that yours does not have an ice maker? Anyway, I think that these are the best "looking" fridges on the market (IMHO ), but I don't want to sacrifice reliability and function for good looks.
    Dennis, does your model have the active smart compressor?
    Thank again for your replies.

• dennisgli
    9 years ago

Dennis, does your model have the active smart compressor?

I don't think ActiveSmart relates to the compressor - I think it just means that it has a computer control system - not mechanical.

But yes, mine is ActiveSmart.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Milk keeps better on an interior shelf. Door shelves run a little less-cool in both the fresh food and freezer sections.