Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparky72333

Would you convert to induction from gas?

sparky72333
13 years ago

Hi all, I've been researching induction cooktops for weeks now, and I've played with one in a store. We're doing a kitchen remodel, and I'm deciding between probably the GE Profile induction cooktop or the GE Monogram gas cooktop. I currently have gas. I'm considering induction because of the ease of clean up and the ability to have such a low simmer. I love to cook, granted it has not been as gourmet as it used to be - I have 2 boys, and a 3rd on the way, my oldest is 4 years old. So aside from basic boiling and simmering, I saute pretty frequently. But for special occasions I still go all out.

I've read lots of posts on this subject, but they're a few years old, so I wanted some input that was based on the newer appliances that are available now. Bottom line, would you convert to induction if you could have either?

Thanks so much for your input!!

Comments (40)

• emilynewhome
    13 years ago

I had induction for 13 years in our old home and really loved it. We'd had the electric coils, smooth glass and gas in various homes while in the military.
    While waiting for our current house to be built we rented for 18 months, the kitchen had a gas stove - I just hated it! I don't know how many wooden spoons I singed.

Clean ups are a breeze with induction, water comes to a boil just so quickly and can be instantly turned down to a simmer.

You might have to purchase suitable cookware if your current pans don't attract a magnet.

• melindy
    13 years ago

My bet is that few of the gas folks would give up gas.

Our house had an ancient electric Jenn Air (no gas here, and I didn't want to get a tank). 2 years ago we put in a GE induction and I LOVE it. It's beautiful, easy to use, easy to keep clean and it has a lock feature which might be nice since you have small children. We've had no problem at all. You know about cookware requirements. One thing that became apparent was that a few of my pans were warped, so they have hot spots. No big deal.

The old threads offered good advice about configuration. That helped me decide that I wanted the large ring on the near right hand side. I also wanted totally rimless for cleaning.

I grew up cooking on a gas stove, and do like them, but I love the ease of my induction even more.

• User
    13 years ago

If my only option was an electric range I would go with induction, but I don't think I would if there were also gas available. I had a gas line run to my house when I remodeled my kitchen so I could have a gas cooktop. I only had electric for 30+ years and hated it. I love cooking with gas. I might consider a cooktop or range that had both gas and induction, though. There are things I cook that don't need the finesse of gas.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

In a heart beat.

but I'd love to have both.

• plllog
    13 years ago

We've had a lot of these topics in the past. There are people who love to see the flame and feel the heat, but a huge number of folks have switched from gas and LOVE induction. A lot of restaurants are starting to use induction as well.

I have both Wolf gas (i.e., fantastic) and induction, and I only use the gas for very specific things (like singeing peppers) or if I need more burners.

If you've never used the dial position to mark your heat settings, whatever the fuel, there's a learning curve. That's something that some people who've always used gas have trouble getting used to. I've always known how high my flame was by the dial position, and how hot my pan was by the feel, so although I look at the flame now and then, I don't miss it. Others might.

So, yeah, I have both, but in reality I really did change from gas to induction. And so have a heck of a lot of others.

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

We swithced from gas to induction and have no regrets. I think it all depends on what type of cook you fancy yourself to be. We don't cook with a wok or singe peppers. Other than those two things I'm not sure what a gas cooktop can do that induction can't. Yes there are induction wok's but I suspect a gas wok would be better. There is a learning curve with induction. But the benefits are faster heating, less heat in the kitchen, easier clean up, handles stay cool, and induction is safer than gas.

I have one of those infrared non-contact thermometers. Recently while boiling a large pot of water I measured the temperature on the outside of the pot less than 1 inch from the base, it was 212 degrees. There was very little wasted energy there. Our gas usage has been cut in half, the only other gas appliance is our water heater. After I get ne more month of utility bills I'm going to see what the difference is between our gas and electric. The induction cleans up very easily and cools faster. No regrets on our part.

• fun2cook
    13 years ago

You have young sons, and another on the way; so I think you should consider the additional safety of an induction top. Curious fingers and hands won't get burned on a hot cooktop, no possibility of gas fires, etc.
    Personally I never cooked with gas until I moved to this house right when my first child was born. I always thought I'd install an electric smooth top when we finally remodeled. But now 12 years later, I've decided to continue with gas. My kids are older now, and I like the sensation of cooking with fire. But if I still had babies in the house, I would go with induction. Both have pros and cons, so you have to weigh your criteria.

• oskiebabu
    13 years ago

If I had to do it over again, I would go for a four burner induction unit and a single powerful gas hob for stir frying. However, if I had to pick just one, I would go for a Thermador 5 unit induction cooktop. The Thermador has the most powerful center burner of any induction cooktop (4600 watt) and has almost every possible add-on one could imagine, with the exception being a zoneless application.

Greg

• rcvt
    13 years ago

Made the switch from gas to induction about six months ago. Love love love it. Wonderful safety features. Excellent heat control. Easy clean up. Cooler operation.

Power outage? We cook outside on the grill.

hth,

rc

• dancingcook
    13 years ago

I switched from gas to induction last year, and have no regrets at all - except we can't toast marshmallows over the gas flame :) As everyone else has said, quick cooking, incredibly easy clean-up, and temperature controls which quickly allow fine-tuning of cooking temperatures.

I did burn food when I first used the induction (as I had when I first used gas after having used electricity). To me, all new cooktops/ranges take time to get accustomed to the settings, including in the oven. But, I haven't burned the potholders or wooden spoons the way I did when using gas.

I'd also underscore the comment above about the extra safety for little ones, although my daughter learnt to cook safely on gas starting from when she was 5 (she's 20 now!). But, to me, not having the open flame is one less worry, not just for little ones, but for me when I get older :)

• amcook
    13 years ago

In addition to the type of cooking you do, it also depends on how you cook. You mentioned you like to saute. Do you turn with a spoon/spatula or do you lift and flip. I tend to flip so I have problems with induction. I've used induction hot plates before at a catering gig and I had to change my cooking style quite a bit to accommodate.

Also, my kitchen tends to be where old cookware comes to die so I'd have to close my pots and pans orphanage if I went induction. I've got an old, really thin, SS pasta pot that I rescued after it'd been burnt dry in an ill fated attempt by a guest to steam something. I'd have a hard time giving that old guy up. :) I've also got a bit of high quality anodized aluminum and copper cookware that would be just too expensive to give up.

I personally have not had any problems with kids getting burned. Both of my kids have only lived with gas and neither have ever been burned on the range. When they were younger, we kept them out of the kitchen using a gate or just watching them and making sure they didn't wander. At around 2-3years, they can be taught to respect the kitchen as a place of possible dangers.

It all depends on your situation and preferences. Frankly, not all gas ranges are created equal. For instance, I'd go induction before I went sealed burner gas.

Good luck.

• eleena
    13 years ago

Those of you who switched and love your induction: what is the diameter of your largest zone?

On many 30" units (e.g., Fagor or Wolf), the largest zone is 8.5 " or 8.75" but the bottoms of all my pans are at least 9".

I would like to switch but I am concerned that this may be a problem as it'd burn food in the middle and not cook on the outer edges.

Thank you!

• billp1
    13 years ago

Everyone that we looked at had at least one 11inch fob. Check GE , MIele, Electrolux and many more.

• plllog
    13 years ago

If you check on The Induction Site you can see quite a number of assymetric units that have the 11" element.

Mine is a self-imported 24" Gaggenau (2/3 of the 36" one they sell here). I have the 11" dual element (7" interior) and two shared power smaller ones at 6" and 8.5". The 8.5" one is actually big enough for almost all of my pots. I have a 5 qt. oval dutch oven, larger braiser, stock pot and small roaster which need the large element. The rest can go on the others.

Generally, you can go an inch bigger or smaller than the ring without any problem (that's 2" different on the diameter).

My Gaggenau has no trouble with lift and shake. It's a shame, really, because I've always used cast iron, so I'm not a big lift and shaker, but it allows it, which does come in handy occasionally. The Gaggenau also doesn't mind an uneven bottom on a pot. And has the cool, air hockey controller knob. But they only sell the 36" one here.

I don't know how the new Thermador compares to the Gaggenau. They're sister units, and might have very similar operation.

• amcook
    13 years ago

plllog, I'm glad it's not a problem with newer residential units. My experience was many years ago with equipment provided by a third party. They required the use of their own equipment at the site saying it was required by their fire insurance. It would shut off frequently when would lift. One unit would go into standby and come back on at the same level automatically but it took a couple of seconds to come back on and another unit would actually reset and turn off so I had to hit a button to get it back on. These were both portable (hot-plate) units so may very well have been a limitation of the specific design at the time. Been thinking about getting a portable induction hob when my kitchen gets demo'd. Hopefully the newer portable units don't have the same problem I had before.

• sparky72333
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I looked at the Thermador...wow! That's nice! The anti-spillover sounds awesome. Definitely some good information...it sounds really great. Regarding my saute style, I do lift up the pan and flip. I've heard that's a problem, but I don't understand why. Can someone explain that?

My pots are all new, of course, and won't work on induction. I love my pots, but hey, pots are pots. Can I get non-stick pots that are magnetic? I've been assuming I can...

And if there's a power outage, that's a great excuse to get out of cooking, lol!!!

Thanks for all the posts!!!

• dodge59
    13 years ago

All induction units have pan sensors (they look for material that can be magnatized) typically steel or iron, so they won't turn on unless you have a pot /pan with steel or iron in it. Some units, if you remove or "Lift that pot or pan" the unit will shut off. Some, like Electrolux, you have 3 minutes to replace the pot or pan and the unit, temporairly shows an "F" along with the temp setting, but as soon as you put the pot/pan back on, it goes on heating at whatever it was set at before.
    I suspects most of the new ones are that way, but I would check to be sure---it would be a pain to hafta turn the thing back on and reset the temp---everytime you lifted a pan???

Gary

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Induction is a no-go for me because I use copper cookware, round-bottom woks, and I also have some aluminium pieces that I really like - or, wouldn't want to pay up for the thick steel version. I like cookware, and wouldn't want my cooktop to limit what types I could use.

Other than that, I think I could get used to induction. When it is hot, it would be nice to have less heat in the kitchen.

The ''roast a pepper'' scenario doesn't matter to me. I'd turn a torch on it, or shove it under the broiler.

• plllog
    13 years ago

The hot plates are generally much more pot sensitive than the built-in units. They can be a lot pickier about what cookware they will accept, and about shutting off when they're lifted, etc.

The whole lift and toss thing has been one of big knocks against the acceptance of induction in the U.S. (whereas it has been very popular in Europe and Asia for a long time, and there's a lot of lifting and tossing in Euro and Asian cuisines). I'm sure Gary must have the right of it that the new units have a much longer put the pot back time. Since that control is in the electronics rather than the works, it seems to have been fixed relatively quickly and with little fanfare. I wonder if the manuals have caught up with it? I was surprised at how long I had to replace a pot on my built-in.

Anyway, just check out what you're getting carefully, and you should find something you like.

(I didn't have to make the cookware compromise--I've been a Le Creuset junkie for decades.)

• earthpal
    13 years ago

We switched and are most happy for all of the reasons mentioned above and in previous threads on this topic. I occasionally will lift and flip the pan. But as long as you put it back, the burner is happy.

There are several lines of non-stick pans that are induction friendly. Tho that brings up the issue of non-stick which you can search for on previous threads...

Oh, dear, the power went out. Oh well, I guess we will go out too! ;)

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

Earth,
    Can you share which cooktop you went with?? I *HAVE* to make a decision this week. My cabinet maker is leaning on me really hard to make a decision.
    If you don't mind sharing which one and why you chose that particular one, I'd appreciate it...

I am toying with the Thermador induction and the GE Monogram metallic.
    I can get a better deal on the GE, I think...

TIA,
    Robin

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

bump....

• plllog
    13 years ago

Robin,

Read through the instructions online and compare the controls. I looked at both of your choices last year and I think I remember that I liked the controls on the Thermador better. The electronics and "features" are the big difference between most units.

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

I thought that, too. But, I'm worried the mirror finish is too "silver" for my kitchen and the GE is more gold which would match better. Why does every decision have to be hard??? I have yet to have an easy decision to make!

Now I have move to deciding on an oven...I have a feeling that will be worse that settling on induction.
    Thx
    Robin

• sparky72333
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thermador makes a black finish, too, in both 30 and 36". http://www.us-appliance.com/cith36alcowi.html

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, Robin, been there, worried about that. I didn't want a big black slab in the middle of my counter. In the end I got a 15" gas (stainless with black grate) and 24" black induction with stainless rim and knob, which look a lot less like a big void.

I had originally wanted white, but most companies discontinued them. I looked at the silvery one and the goldish one (before I decided I had to have gas too), and I didn't actually like them. You can kind of see the guts, I think with both, certainly with one. They're interesting, but I didn't want that either. I'd be distracted. This year's versions might be better though.

Have you seen these in person? It might be worth a trip if there's a showroom within a couple of hours of you. Unless the colored one really enhances the design of your kitchen, black might be a lot more neutral.

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

Thx plllog, I know. I didn't notice the "guts" thing. Maybe I need to take another look. I was so surprised by watching the induction demo that I didn't notice the inside or the hobs. I saw the black Therm and they only had a small (6' square) sample of the mirrored finish. I've seen the GE one...it's more gold and "warmer" than the Therm. I like the 6 timers and the kickin big/multiple size hob on the Therm.
    I wondered if Black showed finger prints or scratches more though....this appliance process has been keeping me awake at night. I'm starting to hate it. I don't think I have ever been so anxious and confused abt decisions! I'm driving myself nuts over this and the oven thing!

(Thanks for the mini vent..I needed it this morning!)
    Robin

• earthpal
    13 years ago

Oh yes been there too! I was interested in the Thermador as well last spring but wasn't thrilled with the silver look and Therm was getting lousy reviews on their products at the time which scared both of us off.

We bought a 36" Bosch 500 series cooktop. I normally don't care for black either but it doesn't look too bad in our white/turquoise countertops. I believe that is because it is flat and the silver strands run parallel to the countertop and thus don't visually stand out too much. It shows some fingerprints but it is easy to clean up. I believe they changed this year's model on the up and down aspects but I could be mistaken about that.

To jump ahead, we purchased the 500 series Bosch convection oven and the MW which isn't convection with trim kit. We have them stacked even tho they are separate units. We were very interested in the two ovens in one that I believe GE does since most of our oven use is single shelf type.

Good Luck!

• eleena
    13 years ago

Plllog,

Which 15" gas (stainless with black grate) and 24" black induction with stainless rim and knob did you get?

I have found only Diva 24" induction so far and it does not have the rim - unoftunately because the rim is important to me as I am thinking of pairing with a gas unit.

Thanks!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Just a brief PSI: Do not leave an unsupervised empty ferrous pan on your induction cooktop if it has touchpad controls and you have a cat.

• earthpal
    13 years ago

Kitchendetective,

Oh dear, I hope your kitty didn't singe any fur or paws. The two we have now alas won't be doing this. Tho we have pictures of our 20 year old kitty inspecting the cabinets without cooktop a few months back.

Yup, you can tell I am a Cat Mom. My first thought was regarding your kitty and not your pan or your kitchen! ;)

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Stat point of clarification: My cat didn't do this (at least, not yet...). However, someone on GW had this happen a couple of years ago. She was home from work, ill and in bed, and smelled something funny, IRRC, and went into the kitchen to find out what was going on. Her kittens had turned on the cooktop and boiled a pot dry. There were little kitty paw prints all over the cooktop. Not exactly master criminals. Could have been bad had she been at work, though.

• plllog
    13 years ago

A lot of induction cooktops have "child locks" which make it nigh on impossible for kitties to turn them on.

Robin, the nightmare is trying to get it "right" because it's a decision that affects so much of your life, and has so many financial ramifications, and it's a pretty permanent decision. In the end, though, most of these things look okay and operate fine, and there will be a new model with a new feature next year to tantalize you with what you don't have, but you'll learn to ignore it because your new kitchen and appliances will be so nice, whatever you choose.

More reasons to love induction? Deciding at the last minute that a little cheese will enhance a dish, and, of course, dribbling on the cooktop? No melted and burnt on goo!!! Oh, and feeling fussy because of the heat? Yes, you can make pasta at midday and not suffer for the decision. But it does make me lazy. It's so easy to clean up that I tend to make a bigger mess -- though, actually, I think it's that it's so easy to use and clean up that I'm more likely to cook something than just pull out the yoghurt.

Eleena, I mentioned my models up topic. It's 15" Wolf gas and 24" self-imported Gaggenau induction. I was in love with the controller. :) The Induction Site has a Kuppersbusch 24" with stainless rim and four elements. My kind of one big and two smaller 24" unit was available from quite a few makers last year. There seems to be low demand in the United States, however. I think Ikea may have one here. For Miele, Gaggenau, and other brands, you might have to bring in your own.

I was warned that insurance might not like a non-UL certified appliance (the makers have to pay for a certificate for every model so limit the ones they bother bringing in). Since the European standards are every bit as good, my insurance company didn't care as long as it was installed by a professional, and gave me a letter for my file that says so. I also talked to the local Gaggenau repair guy, who thought it would work fine, though the timers wouldn't be accurate because of the difference in the electric cycles. He said to make a conversion table. Turns out the unit was made for 50 or 60. I haven't done rigorous tests yet, but it seems okay. Close enough anyway. The Gaggenau repair guy had gone over the wiring with my electrician, but it turns out that he was talking German wiring, and I had to buy the unit from England, which has different wiring. The members of the Electrical Forum were wonderfully helpful with that and were able to provide sufficient information to get it installed correctly.

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

I have decided to bite the bullet and go induction...Therm or Meile are at the top of the list. I had decided Therm but the appliance person had said consider the Meile so I am researching it.
    I think I am doing Meile ovens. I've blown my appliance budget but I am afriad I will regret not doing it if I don't. I plan to post asking Meile people what they think. I love the look of the Gagg but just *cannot* allow myself to go there!
    Thx for your help...it is most appreicated!!

• plllog
    13 years ago

I almost got Miele. It's very quiet. The controls are very sensitive (some people say too sensitive). The power is great. You can (could?) choose between the 9 basic power levels, or a "program" that gives you half steps between (i.e., 17 levels like the others). It's very black.

I also looked at Thermador but they didn't have a size I wanted. They seemed very good too.

BTW, Eleena, I forgot to mention above that the self-import including shipping and working with a kitchen designer rather than a store, didn't cost any more, probably less, than a similar unit would have cost here, if it could have been had. I wouldn't do it to save money, but it was worth it to get what I wanted.

• madbrain
    13 years ago

I have had induction in my townhouse for 5 years. Kenmore 30" model 42800 . I love it.

I just purchased a new larger home. It has a gas cooktop. I'm spending a chunk of change for an electrician to run a new 50 amp 220V circuit to replace it with induction. I'm most likely going with the Kenmore 42900 36", unless I can find another 36" induction cooktop for less.

• docno
    13 years ago

I need a hood first (stupid downdraft cooktop) but I think sometime within the next five years I'll replace my gas with induction. It's more responsive, easier to keep clean and you don't get that residue from natural gas combustion. Then again it could be more a function of my crappy downdraft cooktop :p

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

I like to cook with old fashioned fire. Have cooked on induction and it's fine. But I feel more... Natural? Real?... Cooking with fire.

• djg1
    13 years ago

"I've read lots of posts on this subject, but they're a few years old, so I wanted some input that was based on the newer appliances that are available now. Bottom line, would you convert to induction if you could have either?"

Nope. I like the feel of cooking with a flame and I like being able to shove things around on nice solid grates -- how I handle pots and pans and the food in them has all been trained up on gas. It's as simple as that.

Induction seems to be a very interesting option and I've got nothing negative to say about it. But I'm in the process of replacing my gas range, and I could get anything I want, within reason (I could pay for a 60" range, but there might be diplomatic problems, not least because of the extra hassles of the extra remodeling that would have to be done.) I reckon that nearly everyone looking at a new gas range or range-top could have either, but chooses gas for one reason or another. As for ease of cleanup, etc. -- I was stuck with a glass top in an apartment for a year and I did not like it. This seemed like a non-issue to me and no reason to switch (and yeah, I know it was a different system at a functional/heating-the-pan level).

BTW, the switching pots thing was not really a factor in my choice. It's true, I have some alloy pans that would not work with induction. OTOH, I already had several stainless pieces and a couple of enameled cast iron pieces. The idea of replacing a few pans was not attractive but it really wasn't a big deal either -- a very small portion of the total cost (and frankly, the new gas range costs more than a decent induction range plus pans).