Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmfthea

Thermador Refrigeration

kmfthea
10 years ago

Does anyone have comments on the column style thermador refrigerator and freezer models? The sub zeros are bigger than I need. And I dont like having a freezer drawer so the column seems the best way to go. In the process of remodeling my kitchen and need advice.

Comments (10)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The Thermador Freedom Collection is made by Bosch Siemens Home Appliance Group(BSH) in their own factory in Turkey. That really bothers some people. That they are made in Turkey not Germany or the USA.

They are sold under different brands, from cheapest to most expensive, Bosch, Thermador, and Gaggenau. Each with their own bins and Gaggenau additionally with SS interiors. All of these are BSH owned brands and are fine refrigerators and freezers, in the same class as Sub-Zero.

They also make the columns for Miele with some unique Miele electronics as well as interiors.

I have a Gaggenau 24" Freezer with ice dispenser and like it just fine. I bought mine from liquidator for cheap and I thought the SS interior was really cool. A year later the SS is whatever and I would not pay a premium for it but rather have it than not.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Are the 36" Thermadors interchangeable with SubZeros?

• kmfthea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure if the 36" Thermadors are interchangeable with the SZ.

• soibean
    10 years ago

I have a 30" fully integrated refrigerator column and an 18" fully integrated freezer column, and I love them both. I would prefer a 24" freezer column but I didn't have the space. Either way, I highly recommend them. I got mine on clearance (older model) to save some money. They are virtually identical to the newer models, just without the LED lighting. It's also nice that you can install them in different places if you want to.

One thing to be aware of is that the installation for the integrated (paneled) models is extremely complicated. It took my GC 3 days to get them installed. And if your ice machine ever breaks, it will cost a lot to have someone pull the freezer out for service (if they have to access the back behind the freezer), and that cost is not covered by warranty. I assume this is true for all integrated units, not just Thermador.

Here is how ours look installed (all the way on the left in the photo):

• joc6820
    10 years ago

I have the 36" bottom freezer model. Love it. The 36" models and the separate columns are fully Thermador made (BSH). The have the LED lighting, dual compressors, etc. The side by side Thermador models are sourced elsewhere, Kithchenaid I think. I liked the quality, features, ergonomics of the Thermador better than the SZ when I was shopping, and it was less costly (with a promo). So far, 1 year later, I'm still impressed.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

No, the 30 inch and 24 inch towers all made in Turkey along side the gaggeneu and miele boxes (at least to start). I saw all, they all share the same basic guts and hinges, but with different electronics and decorations.
    The 36inch units are a little different looking to me, but could be made in Turkey too, not sure.
    The install of my 24 inch wine cabinet and 30 inch towers took a day. The panels took another day. There are no service accessible points on the back of these, so I can't imagine why it would have to come out of the cabinet box once bolted in.
    The installation allows you to take the panel to the floor, and makes for one of the cleanest, most hidden looks available.
    Good luck.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

That's impressive, Will, as I said before.

Check the tags on it, should show the "Country of origin".

Otherwise You will have to wait until November, and then start listening for "Gobbling Sounds".

Gary

• will2kz
    10 years ago

Gary,
    Made in Turkey.
    Stuffing anyone?

I don't know, because I don't have, the 36 inch models. Miele offers a 36 inch tower that looks to be a wider version of the 30 inch, so maybe the Turkey plant has a 36 inch frame too....
    Regardless, I think these are all high quality units. I really don't hear them running at all. Food is staying fresher than in my Samsung, which was better than the Whirlpool before it. Unlike some of Thermador's other stuff, I think they subcontracted well with their refrigeration and I have no reservations.

PS dodge59, my Miele ovens, all three of them, work great.... at target temp too. :)

• soibean
    10 years ago

will2kz - the icemaker in the freezer has a part that is only accessible from the back. Our icemaker was broken when we got it, and was fixed under warranty. The service technician replaced all the parts in the front without success. On his fourth visit, he had to access the back. It cost several hundred dollars to have someone pull the freezer out and put it back. This part was NOT covered under warranty.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

Then I stand corrected, or there has been a change in the model between ours. I don't use my ice maker as I have an ice machine. It must've been a weird piece to break as I could take out the entire ice unit in 10 minutes from the front if I needed to.
    But thanks for the clarification. Knowledge is good.