Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Sub-Zero Freezer Drawer Ice Maker not working

beekeeperswife
9 years ago

Hi everybody,

It's been a long time it seems since I've been here. And just like a child who needs money, I'm back!

We have SZ built in freezer drawers with an ice maker. Love it. But now it has me stumped. It is 2 years and 2 weeks old (of course just out of warranty) and for some reason the ice maker is not making ice. (well, it might make it, but it's not falling down into the bucket)

I see it in the holding place before it drops it down into the bucket. It seems to be stuck in there. Should I take a wooden spoon and encourage it to come down? I don't want to break anything.

Maybe something is indicating to its brain that the ice bucket is full and it shouldn't drop it. I have looked but don't think that's the problem.

I have turned the "ice" button off, waited a bit, then turned it back on.

Any suggestions? The SZ Trouble Shooting section is not very helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Bee

Comments (9)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Gary.

It is not part of a fridge. It is the freezer drawers.

700BFI

Here's a picture of it (the double drawers to the left of the ovens)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

update...

Just took the drawer out. got a skinny wooden spoon and a pair of tongs prepped for surgery.

It seems as if the cubes in the maker were slightly melted and frozen together, therefore blocking the ability for the machine to dump them.

I have gently freed all lumps of ice. And am ready to see what happens.

I'll post back again.

Update:

Boy that was fast. I'm in another room and I just heard the music to my ears! Ice crashing down into the bucket! Even the dog barked when she heard it.

Thanks Gary for the encouragement to "get in there" and try to fix it!

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 15:57

• dodge59
    9 years ago

That's great news.

By the way good to see you in here again!

I will look up that icemaker, (for future reference), for you.

Gary

• dodge59
    9 years ago

For future reference, the part number of the icemaker appears to be 4200520, but I would confirm that with SZ first, (if you ever need one). That way you can compare online prices with SZ prices.

Gary

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I had a similar problem when one of my kids left my SZ bottom freezer drawer open long enough for temperature to go up to 25 (yikes). Ice fused together. Had to do the wooden spoon and hair dryer thing a couple of times and it now works. I threw a total sh*tfit. Guess who knows to be careful closing the drawer now.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Might it be the kid with the "Red Rear End"?

Unsigned

• Edith Lenz
    6 years ago

Thank you all! I had read somewhere else about the blow dryer which did help to loosen the frozen tight ice, then I also carefully chiseled it off and finally used a baster with warm water to clear up completely. I am now hearing the ice cubes drop!!

• lynndepynn
    6 years ago

We bought a Sub-Zero undercounter freezer last year as part of a remodel of our open-plan kitchen and dining area. Big expensive mistake. We spent the extra money because we were told it would be quiet, and it's right in the open where we spend a lot time and also entertain. We've owned two Sub-Zero fridges and loved them, so it made sense to get the quality brand. It works fine but it is so loud we can hear it all over the house, let alone in the dining area. I can even hear it upstairs in our bedroom. Do you have this problem with noise, too?

The service techs have come out and tried to adjust it a couple times, but with no improvement. We were hoping it was a defective compressor but Sub-Zero refused to swap it out to test that theory. So disappointed in Sub-Zero. Hope the icemaker holds out.