Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
range dilemma--induction,hybrid, or downdraft?

Posted by bkmena (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 14:36

Oops I posted this a reply rather than a new post....

I am in need of a new range. I am considering 3 options--regular electric downdraft, an induction slide in with a downdraft system we will fabricate thru the wall, or a induction hybrid with the fabricated downdraft. The range is in front of a window so downdraft ventilation is a must. Gas is not available here. The reason I even considered the hybrid was cost-about $700 less than all induction. Because this is an unplanned expense cost is a real factor. Does anyone have a hybrid induction that they like? thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: range dilemma--induction,hybrid, or downdraft?

I'd rule out the hybrid option, if you can. Induction is far better; you will be annoyed at having two hobs you like and use, and two hobs that are slower and mostly unused. In the years ahead, you'll be happier with induction vs. an electric range option, if you can afford it.

Downdraft may be a problem with some slide-in induction ranges, like the E'lux (which pushes the downdraft vent so far to the rear that it may be ineffective). Perhaps GE's induction range is a better option for you; I'm not sure.

o

I agree with chac mool. My new induction cooktop is one of my favorite things in the kitchen. If there's any way to do it, get all induction.

o

Do the induction, but skip the downdraft. It will be useless. Do a proper overhead vent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here