Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mominthedubc

Waste King or Insinkerator?

mominthedubc
15 years ago

Looking for a Continiuous Feed Garbage Disposal that works well and is NOT loud. I am considering Wasteking 9980 ($99.00 at Costco)or ISE Evolution Excel because of what people have said on the Appliance Forum. I have heard from friends that they feel their WK is too loud. If you have experience with any one of these or another one I should look at, please let me know your opinion. Thank you.

Comments (18)

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

There is a long-running thread around here somewhere that reports that Viking disposals use the old Hobart technology that Viking bought from Hobart, and are substantially better than the WK and ISE products. (Yah, I know--It's hard to believe that Viking for once has the leading-edge product. But that's apparently the case for disposals.)

Unfortunately, they're a bit more than $99--like ~$300 for the 3/4 horse, and $450 for the 1 horse.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

A $99 disposal, regardless of brand, won't be giving you much.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jerrod, what do you mean it "won't be giving you much"? It's 1hp and apparently people have bought the same one for significantly more. Are you saying that because of the price, I might get what I pay for? I just want an efficient and quiet GD, as far as GD's go.

Thanks.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Jerrod - thats a ridiculous statement.

That $99 disposal is a 1 HP, Waste King with full in home lifetime warranty. Its the same unit I paid $179 for (which was the cheapest price anywhere a few months ago). Just because Costco somehow made a special deal on it to sell it at $99 doesn't make it a bad disposal. On the contrary, it is a very high quality disposal.

Quiet is all relative. Mominthedubc - To me the disposal is quieter than our old KA disposal (made by ISE) so I would say its quiet while others may not. But given I typically run it 15 seconds or so at a time, and at best once or twice a day, to me noise is not something that was an important consideration. Given the short usage period of a disposal, to me noise is an overrated consideration

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I have the Waste King 3/4 hp batch feed. I am constantly amazed at how it will grind anything, in seconds, without a problem, including bones, corn husks, rinds of all kinds. The 10-year in-home warranty is fantastic, but I don't ever expect to need it. However, I do think the Waste King is loud. But it's only on for a few seconds, so I don't care. While I cannot attest personally to the noise level of the Insinkerators, they do say they've added insulation to their ISE disposals to dampen the noise, so perhaps they are a bit quieter than the Waste Kings.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Berry and Akchicago, thanks for your input. AKchicago, yours was the thread I read where you paid more for this GD at Costco, thanks. I never would have ever thought about the noise level, because, well...I figure they are kind of loud because of what they have to do. But a friend mentioned to me her new WK makes this loud clicking when it starts up and sounds loud to her when running. She has a 3/4 hp, does the hp make a difference with the noise?

Thanks.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I think it was Berryberry who had the thread about the Waste Kings at Costco. As to a clicking noise, I have never had that at all. I have also never read of such a thing on this forum over several years. There must be something caught in your friend's disposal, or it was installed improperly. My contractor did insist on the "3-bolt mount" model rather than the "EZ Mount" version, so maybe that helps, I don't know. On mine, I just hear the 3/4 hp motor, which as you say, you expect to hear. There recently was a "This Old House" episode where they toured the Insinkerator factory in Wisconsin. The Insinkerator guy showed their disposal running without their added insulation, and then with it. Even over the TV, you could hear the difference. Nevertheless, I still like my Waste King batch feed disposal, and for the 30 seconds or so that it's on, I don't mind the noise.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Yes - I have the 3 bolt mount also (yje 1 HP model on sale at costco - alas I paid $179 a few months ago which was the cheapeast price on it I could find).

I also have no clicking noise at all.

• dougmh
    15 years ago

I guess even appliance forums have trolls now huh. :)
    How pathetic and lame.
    I've been a lurking member now a week or so and it's
    apparent that a couple people here have fixations.
    BTW, I ordered the 1HP 9980 Waste King disposal from Costco for my upcoming kitchen blow-out.
    I guess I will continue to be disappointed by my Costco buying experience, you'd think after 16 years I'd learn my lesson no?

• homepro01
    15 years ago

To come to Jerrods' defense, he is a long time member of this forum and provides very valuable information. The price for the Waste King is really low and half the regular price anywhere else from Costo. That is a really good deal. I recently purchased a Franke GD which is made by Waste King also. I have not installed it and therefore cannot tell you how it works. I was recently at a friends who had the top of the line Evolution series installed and it was really quiet. I may return the Franke and get the InSinkerator although it is more expensive.

For $99 from Costo, I don't knmow if you can really go wrong with the Waste King. If you get it and don't like it then you can always return it to Costco.

Good luck!

• suzieca
    15 years ago

are these still on sale at Costco? The $99 WasteKing?
    We had a Titan and it's only been in since mid-May and it's leaking from the bottom so has to be replaced...aaarrrggghh.

Thanks

• suzieca
    15 years ago

Never mind my question above...I just ordered it on-line.

• wolf2020
    15 years ago

After reseaching Titan and Waste King I found that titan is made in China. And the company went to great pain to make it look like the Waste King Anaheim Manufacturing Company. Titan Joneca Corporation is Anaheim Marketing International.

And some of waste king carry MADE USA that means 55% USA

• susan3733
    15 years ago

FYI - I just noticed that the Waste King 8000 series 1hp model is on sale at Costco.com for $79, including shipping and handling. Costco's normal low price for this is $99, when they periodically have it in stock, but they're offering an extra $20 off until Jan 4th. $79 is truly an amazing price.

I had a similar Waste King in my last house, and it was the greatest - never had any problems and it ground up anything I could throw in there. Yes, it was loud, but I thought that was normal. My old one was a batch feed model, which I loved, and the one at Costco is not. Still, we're about to embark on (yet another!) remodel and I'll probably get the Costco one just because you can't beat that price!

• dougmh
    15 years ago

I bought the 9980 at Costco for $99 last summer and just installed it a few weeks ago.
    I also went with the WasteKing fiber optic remote switch which cost as much as the disposal.
    To the point:
    The WasteKing is solid, quiet and chows what I feed it without complaint.
    Excellent value.

• reichert_periodpiece_net
    15 years ago

Go with the Waste King. Make sure it is the 1 hp 9980 with the three bolt mounting system. I have installed several of these in my high end kitchen remodels. I also have one in my house and I have never had a problem. It is also a work horse.

The noise thing is personal preference. When I first purchased my home I put in a top of the line ISE for about 300. Sure it was quiet but then it QUIT. And with them you have no recourse, no real warranty. My experience tells me that they are designed to go out just after or slightly before there is any meaningful time left on the warranty.

• amg_roadster
    15 years ago

I just noticed that Costco has the Wasteking 1hp disposals on sale for $79 through the end of Feb.

I need to disposals for the new Kitchen and think I am going to have to order these.

I have never had a bad expierence with Costco. I have purchased one or two products that did not live up to expectations but Costco's return policy makes this a non-issue.

• Jan Roos
    8 years ago

If you want quiet then go for the Insinkerator Excel with it's whisper quite technology. The Waste King L-8000 is probably the best value for money Garbage Disposal that you can buy.

It has a very strong motor and it is relatively quiet as well. Thousands of 5 star reviews has to mean something as well.

Insinkerator is good as well. Here is a good Waste King vs Insinkerator write up.

Cheers.