Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chefdujour13

Capital Stove - Poor Service

ChefDuJour
11 years ago

I was all excited to get my Capital 48" Range top. We've been planning the kitchen for months and dealing with construction and installation for the last 5 weeks. This is a complete gut and everthing including the insulation is brand new.

I researched here and other places to choose the appliances and ultimately decided on Capital. My contractor installed the massive cooktop into our custom cabinets and ran the gas and electric. However, when he plugged it in and fired it up the igniters would fire even after it was turned off.

I checked the wiring and noticed that the grounding plug was missing. When I called customer service they took the information and said that they would get back to me.

Today I get a call from Capital telling me that they have quality control checking the unit before it leaves so it can't be a manufacturing defect. Really? They offered to mail me a new wire to install myself.

Unbelievable! I spent $4,000 for an American made high end product and this is their idea of customer support. I've had better experience with $500 GE products made in Asia.

From what I've heard Blue Star and Wolf seem to provide better service. I guess I made a big mistake that will now cost me even more money to relove.

Thank you Capital Help-less Desk for providing sub par service and support.

Comments (11)

• philwojo
    11 years ago

While I understand your anger at what should be fixed for you by Capital I don't totally agree with this is going to "cost you even more money to resolve". It seems Capital has offered to send you the fix, or at least a potential fix for free.

You obviously had enough skills to know to look for a ground wire, which implies to me you can install it. So I am not sure where you are out of pocket any more money?

Do I think that Capital could go further and offer to send someone out to fix it, sure, and they should. But again I still don't see where you are out money here.

• weissman
    11 years ago

If in fact the wire they're sending you is the problem AND if you're capable of installing it yourself, then you are in fact better off doing so rather than having to wait around for a repairman to show up.

On the other hand, if you are incapable or don't feel comfortable installing the wire yourself, then you should demand that Capital send out a repairman - after all your product is under warranty. They're being a bit arrogant saying that their quality control catches ALL manufacturing defects!

• ChefDuJour
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finding a missing prong on a plug is one thing. Disassembling the 200 LB stove and hard wiring the plug is quite another.

I imagine if I try to do it myself and have a problem they would void the warranty. Therefore, I need to hire a authorized repair company to do the work. The cost to show up to your house starts at $150.

Sending me a wire and telling me to go install it is not a solution. Certainly not a cost free option.

• weissman
    11 years ago

You shouldn't need to hire someone to install the cord yourself - take a picture of the cord that came with the range, contact Capital again, and demand they send someone to fix it. The item is under warranty and they have a legal obligation here - don't settle for anything less.

• ChefDuJour
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By Contrast - I also purchased a 54" VAH exhaust. When the contractor went to install it, it was missing the exhaust transition that was supposed to be shipped with it.

I called today and they are overnighting the part as soon as possible so that we are minimally impacted. That is the difference between knowing the value of customer support and doing whatever it takes to solve the problem. Oh and by the way this was the regional distributor dealing with this issue not even the coroporate office. I guess they have the entire supply chain on board to make sure they support their products.

Very disappointed in Capital. I will try to reach out to them again.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    11 years ago

It would be interesting to see a picture of the existing plug, could you post one, the reason I ask this is Capital don't buy let alone use two prong plugs, could it have been damaged / snapped off in transit.

I would think you could just rewire a 3 prong plug onto the existing wire, this would not affect your warranty and would have you back on the right road.

If you do call Capital back (and I think you should) ask to speak to Joey.

• PRO
    11 years ago

It would be interesting to see a picture of the existing plug, could you post one, the reason I ask this is Capital don't buy let alone use two prong plugs, could it have been damaged / snapped off in transit.

I would think you could just rewire a 3 prong plug onto the existing wire, this would not affect your warranty and would have you back on the right road.

If you do call Capital back (and I think you should) ask to speak to Joey.

• ChefDuJour
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I most certainly can rewire the plug. That's not the problem. My concern is if I make any modifications to the product, would that void my warranty.

However, it seems the warranty is somewhat useless any way.

I originally spoke with Ever and he said his supervisor Bob told him how they wanted to handle the situation. Beyond that, he didn't seem to have much information or ability to do anything. He sounded somewhat younger and inexperienced.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I can assure you that your warranty would not be void or in anyway affected by simply swapping the plug (clearly wired correctly).

Maybe you should call your retailer and get them involved.

While whatever happened should not have happened it can be fixed in 20mins

• billy_g
    11 years ago

Chef,

A picture would be helpful. Can you see the ground prong snapped off? If so, it is possible one your contractor's workers stepped on the plug and broke the prong, although I have no way of knowing what happened, but it really may not have been Capital's fault. But perhaps it was -- we don't know -- but you should not automatically assume this was Capital's fault. Did you inspect the plug and see that the prong was missing when the unit arrived?

Billy

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

Feeling charitable today, my theory would be the power cord is "factory test equipment" that was left on by mistake and shipped. I would want to ensure the polarity of the wall receptacle is correct. I would want to ensure the power cord hookup within the range agreed with the wiring diagram. I would want to ensure the polarity of the ignitor module was correct.