Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf Combi-Steam Oven Initial Review/Experience

Posted by pspand (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:27

I'm a big believer in paying back on good things. This message board really helped me make my appliance selections for my new kitchen. Thank you. Rather than join the conversations on products that get a lot of coverage, I thought I would pay back the community through some coverage of a product that it doesn't appear many people have used - the Wolf Combi-steam. Here goes and thanks to all for your help in my research.

WHy I wanted it.

- I love to bake bread. REally good bread is tough in a home oven. I've gotten good baking in a dutch oven but I wanted to make baggettes, rolls, and other breads that just aren't conducive to a dutch oven.
- I purchased a 36" range (bluestar) and while awesome it takes a long time to preheat and is often overkill for weeknight oven cooking
- I work long days so keeping food warm and/or reheating was attractive (I don't have nor want a microwave oven)
- Steamed dumplings in large quantities. Enough said there.

My experience after 1 week of lots of use

- First, bread. Amazing! I am handing out loaves to my neighbors right now as my wife says no more! It all just works. the steam mode for about 20 minutes and then convection for the remainder just works. Dead simple, really crusty, and I'm able to do 6 medium bagettes all at once.
- Second, as secondary oven. Preheat is amazing. Somewhere between 5-10 min to get to 450. So fast and easy to use.
- Third, chicken. Just tried this for fun (I usually do chicken on spit on my grill) and it was incredible. You have the ability to turn on/off the steam and it made a really nice juicy meat with the kind of crust you typically only get on the spit.
- Dumplings. I made 48 steamed dumplings for some friends (shrimp, pork/veg, and cabbage/mushroom) and they were better than any dim sum place I have ever been. I love dumplings and this was great. I could bang out a lot of prep, put in fridge and then quickly get a bunch ready at one time.
- Pastry. Surprisingly great. I used the humid setting which keeps a seal but injects no steam. Super great results but I can do same with a larger gas oven I think. a tie but no knock out here.
- Thai fish. My wife immediately said "you need to make this again!" after one bite of my thai red snapper.

Cons

- we purchased "semi-custom" cabinets from kraftmaid and there was no easy way for us to fit the steam oven into the cabinet. My GC was amazing but it wouldn't have worked well if he weren't a skilled carpenter.
- it is a lot of money. I purchased this instead of a second 30 inch oven but it was a tough sell to my wife. Felt I should state the obvious.
- for me, they have way too many programs. Navigating all of the options is overkill. It is steam! I can figure it out Wolf! I love the options of controlling the seal, steam, and convection oven but feel like a "Flan" program is a bit much. Easy to ignore but it kind of turned me off. I am a pretty serious home cook and this feels a bit like a beginner device and it really isn't.

Finally, I have no idea if this is better/worse than Gag/Miele/Thermador, etc. Gag was too much money and the plumbed line is nice but I feel like I can easily change the water tray every six cooking hours. The Gag does allow you to set humidity levels and I was concerned this would be an issue and so far it hasn't been at all and I feel i can approximate this through the on/off steam feature. I love the size of the oven and feel that this gives it an edge over miele/thermador but if I'm truthful I must say it isn't a significant edge.

Can I do most everything in some other way? Yes. Does the steam oven make it easier and quicker so I will do it more often? Yes. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. Should everyone buy one? I recommend it to anyone who uses the oven a lot for small jobs, likes to slow cook, and experiments with various cuisines - especially asian. And if you are a baker especially of bread it is a knockout device.

Hope that helps people and thanks again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf Combi-Steam Oven Initial Review/Experience

Thank you so VERY VERY much, pspand. I've been researching the Wolf and you're right, there is NO real world experience yet. I'm so happy you posted!

I'm still building and I can't wait to get my Wolf Combi.

o

Thanks for an in-depth review.

Just to be certain I understand, you add water to a port in the oven (water-tray) so do not need a plumbing line to the oven, right?

Also, how much bigger was this than the typical 30" oven cabinet? More like 31" width, but depth still 24"?'

I use to bake a lot, and this sounds like a real gem. thanks.

o

@SparklingWater -

Width is 24 inches and it just fits a 24" cabinet. Issue is the height is greater than a Microwave cabinet. THey also have a 30"trim kit. Again the height makes it difficult. Doable but not easy.

o

Please post pics when you get a chance. Would love to see some of your food as well if you don't mind.

Great review.

o

pspand,

I'm so happy to read your reveiw! I have ordered my combi-steam oven and will not be able to use it until ~January as we're not breaking ground until September for our addition.
I am also a baker and can't wait to bake my 1st loaf!

Thanks again.

o

Thanks for your feedback about the wolf combi steam oven. It was really useful. We also have a Bluestar range and will add a steam oven, primarily for bread baking and steaming. My husband cannot have gluten, so I have been looking for a way to get better homemade gluten free bread. I agree that the steam injection creates a beautiful rise and crust.

We are going to be ordering our oven this week We had a similar experience with our cabinetry. We have a 24inch microwave base and the opening is 1/4 of a inch too short. Our installer says he can redo the bottom shelf to make it work But, the kitchen designer and I both missed this when we were ordering cabinets.

I have been researching steam combi ovens for about six months Decided not to go with the Gaggenau because the plumbing makes an undercounter installation impossible and the cost was a little high for us. The Thermador is nice but has less flexibility than the Gaggenau or the Wolf. The Wolf seemed like a good compromise. I went to the Wolf showroom for a demo and learned a few other things that helped convince me to get a wolf over a Thermador.
1..larger cavity. This is significant because it means you can use standard 1/2 cookie sheets and you aren't stuck buying the manufacturer's pans.
2.. You can fill the water without opening the door. Both Miele and Thermador have the water containers that require you to open the door to fill.
3. The door comes completely off to help you reach in and clean. This is a huge plus for me because I have short arms and it enables me to more easily reach in and clean the back.
4. Great customer service. Our showroom has use and care workshops for after you purchase an appliance that is really helpful. And, they feed you well.
5. Beef tenderloin roast for us, and it was the most beautifully cooked piece of meat I have seen. It was a consistent pink, tender, moist. When we cut the meat, all the juice stayed in. Am looking forward to easy tenderloin roasts.

o

Thanks for your feedback about the wolf combi steam oven. It was really useful. We also have a Bluestar range and will add a steam oven, primarily for bread baking and steaming. My husband cannot have gluten, so I have been looking for a way to get better homemade gluten free bread. I agree that the steam injection creates a beautiful rise and crust.

We are going to be ordering our oven this week We had a similar experience with our cabinetry. We have a 24inch microwave base and the opening is 1/4 of a inch too short. Our installer says he can redo the bottom shelf to make it work But, the kitchen designer and I both missed this when we were ordering cabinets.

I have been researching steam combi ovens for about six months Decided not to go with the Gaggenau because the plumbing makes an undercounter installation impossible and the cost was a little high for us. The Thermador is nice but has less flexibility than the Gaggenau or the Wolf. The Wolf seemed like a good compromise. I went to the Wolf showroom for a demo and learned a few other things that helped convince me to get a wolf over a Thermador.
1..larger cavity. This is significant because it means you can use standard 1/2 cookie sheets and you aren't stuck buying the manufacturer's pans.
2.. You can fill the water without opening the door. Both Miele and Thermador have the water containers that require you to open the door to fill.
3. The door comes completely off to help you reach in and clean. This is a huge plus for me because I have short arms and it enables me to more easily reach in and clean the back.
4. Great customer service. Our showroom has use and care workshops for after you purchase an appliance that is really helpful. And, they feed you well.
5. Beef tenderloin roast for us, and it was the most beautifully cooked piece of meat I have seen. It was a consistent pink, tender, moist. When we cut the meat, all the juice stayed in. Am looking forward to easy tenderloin roasts.

o

Just got the Thermador steam unit. No real experience yet. Any good resources for recipes tailored to steam ovens?

o

Here are some steam oven recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: First part of Gaggenau cook book

o

Question..
I just had my wolf convection steam oven installed. After reading the manual, i am not sure if after am finished using the oven do i have to leave the door open to the at rest position? Do you do that?
If i am hosting a party, i really don't want my oven door to be open. Also, have you used other pans besides the ones it came with?
Thanks for your post!!
i am excited to start using the oven.

o

bump

o

Dear sue2012,

Congratulations on your new Wolf Convection Steam Oven! Please refer to page 11 of the CSO Use & Care Manual linked below. We do recommend that you leave the door open in the 'at-rest' position after turning the product off. This just allows the interior to cool faster, reducing the time one has to wait before wiping it out. You could leave it closed for your party and wipe it out later, once it cools.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this or any other issue, feel free to contact us directly. You can contact us via phone Mon-Fri. 8:00-5:00 CST at 800-222-7820. We can also be reached via email at CustomerService@SubZero.com.

Thank you,

Customer Care Team
Sub-Zero/Wolf Appliances

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf Convection Steam Oven Use & Care Guide

o

Thanks for the response Customer Care Team!!
I am loving the steam oven.

o

Sue2012,
Please tell us what you are loving about your steam oven. I can't wait to hear about it!

o

If I purchase a wolf combi-steam oven and a meile speed oven, do I really need a 30" wolf regular convection oven? Or will the first two be able to handle almost anything? I am just concerned mainly about turkey dinners for one or two holidays a year? Is the steam oven large enough to fit a good sized turkey?

o

nat13 --

Do you have a Weber grill or something similar? My friend always cooks the turkey on that (we are in a milder climate), and it comes out great.

I guess whether the steam oven fits a "good sized turkey" depends on your definition of that size. ktmast says that they have cooked a 12 pound turkey in their Gaggenau combi oven, and IIRC the Wolf is a bit larger inside. How many total people are you cooking for on those occasions?

o

attofarad - when my whole family is with us their are 17 to 21 people total - so at least a 20 lb turkey and possibly a ham as well.

We are building a new house right now so are in the market for all appliances - hence the massive research!

DH is going to have his "outdoor kitchen" which will have a relatively good sized built in grill (still researching on that one!). He had thought that we wouldn't need the speed, steam and regular oven - but I've never cooked with either the speed or steam so I am a bit hesitant to go without a "regular" oven and the other two sound fantastic - so I was hoping some of the people on here who may have experience with these units might have some good advice for me!

o
Wolf Combi-Steam Oven - OK to place in kitchen island?

I really want to order the Wolf Combi-Steam Oven. Has anyone placed their steam oven in a kitchen island? I know it would be more ideal to place the steam oven around eye level. However, I do a lot of baking and don't want to give up my double wall oven and the only remaining spot is in my kitchen island. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

o
Follow up to initial review on wolf combi-steam oven

Hi all--
I posted a while ago and wanted to post a follow up. We have had the steam oven for two months. I use it daily. We located our oven under the counter. I like this location. I am 5'2", so this is a better location for me than the wall. It makes it easier to reach in and easier to clean. One of the reasons that we did get this oven is that it can be used in an undercounter installation.

We used a standard microwave cabinet and modified it to accommodate the oven. Width was ok, but the height was 1/2 inch too short. It was an easy modification. We lowered the microwave shelf by 1/2 inch and lowered our drawer front.

With two months under our belt, I do have some additional comments.
1. Cleaning. The oven produces a lot of condensation on the steam cycle. But it is easy to wipe out and the added plus is that it is fairly easy to clean up any residue from other cooking. It does make a bit of a mess when cooking a roast with the steam convect or the gourmet slow roast setting.

2. Ease of use and lots of settings. I agree that for my tastes i initially was turned off by all the settings and felt there were a lot of settings. But, I have since come to appreciate the different preset options--not for me but for my husband and son. They are comfortable pressing buttons and it has made it easier for them to do things like reheat food and even make puff pastry shells. Pizza is so much better reheated in the combi oven than in the microwave. It is also very good at reconstituting days-old rice

3. We have a blue star gas range along with the wolf combi oven. I prefer the combi oven for my baking now. It makes incredible bread, cookies come out with a crispy exterior and a chewy micddle. I used the humid convect for a cheesecake and it was beautifully browned but moist and dense. One thing I have noticed is that I need to set the oven about 5 degrees lower than the recipe calls for when I bake so that the top does not brown too quickly before everything is cooked through.

4. Gluten free baking. One of the main reasons we got this was because I was trying to find ways to bake cake and cookies without wheat or gluten. My conclusion thus far is that the addition of steam in the autobake and the convect humid really help my gluten free baking achieve a texture closer to what we would expect with wheat cooking. The crumb in cakes is fine but moist without and being dense, bread has air pockets and most importantly does not fall apart. I also used it to make a lasagne with gluten free rice nooddles. I was able to eliminate the boiling tep for the noodles and get a beautifully cooked and browned lasagne using the humid convect setting. It has also been useful in reheating day-old gluten free pasta. The gluten free pastas tend to dry out the next day and don't work as well as leftovers. But, with the steam in the reheating process, the texture is almost as good as the day it was made.

I am including a photo of the install. It is not I n an island but is an undercounter installation. Good luck with the kitchen remodel or build. Hope this helps. We love our oven.

o

Thanks for the review nvest. We're still a few months from the start of our build, but my wife and I have been eyeing this oven for a while now. You've probably just sold us with this review, but especially so with your #4 point.

o

Thanks so much, nvest1! I really appreciate your photo and detailed response! Can't wait to make this happen.

o

I just installed the oven. What's the actual difference between the Convection Humid and Convection Steam modes? Thanks.

o

We put the Wolf Steam Convection Oven in recently as we re-did our appliances and kitchen and I wanted the latest appliances. I really like the oven but am overwhelmed at how to use it. The instructions and recipes are lacking and I am not wanting to ruin meals because I am not sure how to use the settings. I wish they had better instructions! I suppose I will call Wolf and ask them how to do some things and see how their customer service is. The oven cleans perfectly, works very well and for what I have done so far, I have been very pleased. For spending what I did though for the oven, I would think the instructions and recipes would be much better. Basically, there is not an easy break down of how to use it with your own settings and how or why to use each setting. The oven is very well built and works great for vegetable, heating up left overs but that is as far as I have gotten.

I cooked a roast on auto slow cook and it took 3.5 hours, cooked at 90 degrees, then up to 110 degrees F. and still looked raw when it was to be done. I didn't know what I was doing or what it was doing........I feel like an idiot not understanding the menu system on it or the settings and would like instructions that explain each kind of cooking, settings and why to use those settings for each kind of dish. They give you some recipes to get you started but they don't even help that much since those recipes are ones that my family will not eat. The steam function is great and doing left overs is great but I want to know how to mix steam with convection for cooking pastry's, meat etc.

I know that this oven has much more to it than what I have used so far, if only I can figure it out.....:>)

o

k4now: I have the gag combi, so am not of much help with "recipes" using your buttons. Ours came with a small recipe book and a wheel card for cooking a variety of foods. For example: baked potatoes, bread, rolls, cookies, fish, roasted veggies, steamed veggies.

What I can definitely comment about is that cooking something at 110 f. will never allow the item to get warmer than 110. Since rare would be at about 125, you need to up your temperature. For a roast like a slow cook pot roast, I would cook it at about 275 f. for 100% steam.

You will need to be adventurous with trying things, given that you have new technology.

You can try gagg recipes and figure out the moisture cionversions. I know you will love it!

o

Hi--
First, congrats on the new oven. Once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are limitless. I have some suggestions for specific things but cannot give advice on the recipes, not having tried any from Wolf yet.

Meat--I use the convect humor setting at 250 to 300 depending on time with the temperature probe. The temperature probe is really useful and will make sure that you get your roasts perfect. It is also good for chicken and for ribs, but the temperature needs to be at least 250.

The autobake setting is good for bread. I typically lower the heat once it switches from the steam to the heat and air only. I find that I need to lower it about 5 degrees.
The wolf gourmet settings--I have used the baked potato setting and that works well.
Hope that this helps you get started and that you can enjoy your new oven.

o

Should "F" have been "C" above? Doing the conversion, the slow cook would have started at about 194F and gone up to 230F.

o

K4now, there are a number of us looking for recipes. Gagg has several recipe books available on the net, and Miele has a good steam recipe book ( though just steam not combi) As combis are just starting to hit the market, it will probably be a while before there are some good cookbooks to help you use your combi best. One thing to keep in mind is that in general, the various settings deal with how much steam ( 0 to 100 % ) and how much heat from a heating element ( 0 to whatever your top temp is ) so you need to select the combination of steam and heat that works best for your item. I downloaded the user guides for the Viking, Thermador, and Wolf to get some ideas of when you want steam and when you just want heat and when you want a combination.

o

Does the steam oven work as a microwave too or do we need a separate microwave for quick reheating, popcorn, etc? Thanks.

o

Unfortunately, the steam combi does not include a microwave - though I think the Sharp offers a combi with both. A small countertop micro will come in handy for things a steam combi doesn't do as well as a microwave

o

Hello Guys,
I need some advice. Ordering appliances on Monday and considering a Wolf double oven and the Wolf Steam Oven. Any recommendations on eliminating one of the wall ovens? Cabinet space is limited, but I love to cook and don't want to eliminate necessary products.

Thank you for your help.

o

Donnaty, personally I don't like the idea of double oven's, I would consider two single oven's if you really need that many ovens.

I have the Wolf Steam oven and one of their single wall ovens and it works for us. I would do more research on double oven's vs two single oven's before you decide on that also.

The Steam oven is plenty big on the inside for most things. I am still learning to use mine as I have been on the road a lot this year, but so far love it as does my wife who didn't even want it.

We just did our first set of steamed veggies in it yesterday and she really liked them, she has always had them boiled, so this was something different.

Unless you are cooking huge meals everyday my personal opinion would be save the money and the space and go to a single wall oven and the steam oven, I don't think you will need all 3.

We actually have a 3rd oven in the Wolf convection/microwave that we also have, and have used it as an oven. It works decently, and in a pinch for heating up something small when the other ovens are both being used it works great. It was $100 more than the standard microwave from them so to me it was a no-brainier.

Phil

o

Thank you Phil
The combo microwave - convection solves my problem. Thank you for your reply.
Donna

o

I'm seriously considering one of these ovens instead of Electrolux double wall ovens. Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive single wall oven to complement the Wolf? This is a real extravagance for me and I'm afraid I couldn't afford any of the Wolf wall ovens - something basic, reliable, with glide rails and large viewing window, that will look good next to the steam oven? I'm ordering a Bluestar Range Top - but wonder if I should just get the BS 36" Range and not worry about a wall oven. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

o

We were considering the Electrolux line, and I have read and heard good things about them, maybe look in to those.

If you don't cook a ton of "large" meals in the oven the Wolf steam oven is fairly large. It says it can do a turkey and the web site (Wolf) has video or at least pictures of that I think.

My personal experience says that while it is very large inside, I don't know that I could do a meal for a huge family.

For us it is just my wife and I, and we may entertain friends/family, but with no kids, so it is usually more than good enough for us.

We do have a full size 30" Wolf single oven as well, but we did that just to have a standard oven in terms of resale and to have a 2nd oven as well. We could afford both and don't regret our choice.

Phil

o

Replacing my elder double wall oven i opted to get a higher end steam and a standard single. I wanted the two ovens though rarely ever used together, but sometimes. Earlier i considered a bluestar single left hinge. hemmed and hawed and chose a steam and a standard. Just to hard to go from a double to a single. Now i have both with different options. (yet to be installed)

o

If you like using a gas oven, the 36" BS range is certainly an attractive option. I'm getting a 36" Wolf all gas range and the Wolf combi-steam oven later this month, and I'm looking forward to having both of them. I've had several gas ovens over the years, and they were just fine, but I know some people don't care for them. To me it seems that having both will be ideal.

o

Hello. I'm setting up a kitchen for my mom. Is this steam oven going to replace the regular wolf electric convection oven? We don't use microwave oven so we'll probably use this to reheat items up plus steaming fish. Will this also do roast chicken or pot roast?

Thanks in advance.

o

Absolutely, it will do all of that and more.
I've only been using mine for a week but it's definitely the go-to oven. I also have a Wolf 30" electric and a 36" BS range, I've used all the ovens but the conv/steam is pretty cool. I've done roasted chicken, steamed veggies, roasted potatoes, tomatoes and pickled garlic in a big cast iron pan, corn muffins, and German pancake (again in cast iron) so far. I think people get too caught up in the menus and trying to figure things out. If you read what it'll do and what each cooking mode does just extrapolate a bit to figure out what to try with your own recipes. It will take some experimentation to know what to try but so far everything has come out great. I've only had to fill the water res. once so far. One of the things I like best is no pre-heating and food still gets done quicker than a conventional oven. It sounds like it would be prefect for your mother.

o

How often do we need to rescale this unit? I hear the solution is very caustic and it's not allowed to be mailed.... Say if you purchase them online. True?

o

I love this group. This thread has saved a lot of time and energy. My DH is trying to convince me that a "cook sink" is an even better / more versatile appliance (because his friend just got one). Never going to happen! Can't wait to get my steam oven.

o

Hi everyone. We're in the midst of planning to remodel our kitchen and would love some input from this group.

At the moment, we are planning to install Wolf's 30" double-wall ovens and Wolf's convection steam oven. After reading so many glowing reviews on the combi oven, I'm really excited that we will be purchasing one too, but questioning our original decision to purchase just one. From what I’ve read, I’m guessing that we will be using the combi for most of our cooking. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen as my family has a gluten-free diet, and we cook most of our food from scratch. I’m wondering if we might want to consider installing two combi steam ovens and maybe just one wall oven. We originally decided to forgo a warming drawer(s) so the additional wall oven could be used for that when necessary. I’d prefer to not try to fit a fifth oven into our kitchen, as we’ve already planned a new location in the kitchen for the existing microwave/convection oven which I could do without in a heartbeat -- but not the rest my family.

As the kids are moving out, we’re down to three on a daily basis. We enjoy entertaining, and my family is large and holidays can bring 20-30+ relatives.

Thank you for any input you can give.

o

I have 27 in wall ovens that need to be replaced and have been trying to figure out what to put in their place. After reading this thread, I think we are going with just the wolf combi steam oven for now and deciding what to do with the second space later. We also are gluten free (along with grain free, dairy free, egg free, and lots of other things free) and my 36" wolf gas oven (we have the all gas 36" range) makes phonemail gluten free baked goods. After reading this thread and other's experience with it for both gluten and gluten free baking, I am sold on this oven. Thank you for posting your review. I was originally thinking about the thermador, because the sales reps pushed it over all the other brands and I liked features it had over the meile (they did not even mention the wolf). So I'm going back to the show room tomorrow to take a closer look at the wolf and hear about the features. Had I not stumbled across this thread, I might not have seriously considered it because there's not a lot of info out there on this oven. Thank you again!

o

Curious why Wolf over Miele Combi-Steam?

o

Hello there,

We are looking at this oven for our new build coming up. Does the oven have a continuous fan that stays on to cool it off after you are done cooking? How long does it stay on and is it loud? Thank you! Noise sensitive Kathy

o

I love my new combi-steam oven and am using it with an e-series wall oven. What resources are there for cooking information? I can't find books, and would love to reduce my learning curve if I can. We've made bread, steamed fish and veggies, and baked apples and pears.

To Kathy, I appreciate hearing the fan. I know something's going on. The sound is fine to me, not loud.

Thanks for your resource recommendations!

o

I have not seen any cookbooks yet. I put together a bare bones page listing guides that the various manufacturers have put out. https://sites.google.com/site/combisteamconvectionsteamoven/

You can usually use a recipe from a different manufacturer, though it can be confusing because they sometimes use a different term to describe different steam settings, but I have a link to the manuals, so you can work that out if there is some confusion. If you find any other sources, let me know and I will update that page.

Here is a link that might be useful: comby steam cooking guides.

o

My Wolf combo steam should arrive next week. Any new experiences /recepies/ thoughts out there?
thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here