Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pspand

Wolf Combi-Steam Oven Initial Review/Experience

pspand
11 years ago

I'm a big believer in paying back on good things. This message board really helped me make my appliance selections for my new kitchen. Thank you. Rather than join the conversations on products that get a lot of coverage, I thought I would pay back the community through some coverage of a product that it doesn't appear many people have used - the Wolf Combi-steam. Here goes and thanks to all for your help in my research.

WHy I wanted it.

- I love to bake bread. REally good bread is tough in a home oven. I've gotten good baking in a dutch oven but I wanted to make baggettes, rolls, and other breads that just aren't conducive to a dutch oven.

- I purchased a 36" range (bluestar) and while awesome it takes a long time to preheat and is often overkill for weeknight oven cooking

- I work long days so keeping food warm and/or reheating was attractive (I don't have nor want a microwave oven)

- Steamed dumplings in large quantities. Enough said there.

My experience after 1 week of lots of use

- First, bread. Amazing! I am handing out loaves to my neighbors right now as my wife says no more! It all just works. the steam mode for about 20 minutes and then convection for the remainder just works. Dead simple, really crusty, and I'm able to do 6 medium bagettes all at once.

- Second, as secondary oven. Preheat is amazing. Somewhere between 5-10 min to get to 450. So fast and easy to use.

- Third, chicken. Just tried this for fun (I usually do chicken on spit on my grill) and it was incredible. You have the ability to turn on/off the steam and it made a really nice juicy meat with the kind of crust you typically only get on the spit.

- Dumplings. I made 48 steamed dumplings for some friends (shrimp, pork/veg, and cabbage/mushroom) and they were better than any dim sum place I have ever been. I love dumplings and this was great. I could bang out a lot of prep, put in fridge and then quickly get a bunch ready at one time.

- Pastry. Surprisingly great. I used the humid setting which keeps a seal but injects no steam. Super great results but I can do same with a larger gas oven I think. a tie but no knock out here.

- Thai fish. My wife immediately said "you need to make this again!" after one bite of my thai red snapper.

Cons

- we purchased "semi-custom" cabinets from kraftmaid and there was no easy way for us to fit the steam oven into the cabinet. My GC was amazing but it wouldn't have worked well if he weren't a skilled carpenter.

- it is a lot of money. I purchased this instead of a second 30 inch oven but it was a tough sell to my wife. Felt I should state the obvious.

- for me, they have way too many programs. Navigating all of the options is overkill. It is steam! I can figure it out Wolf! I love the options of controlling the seal, steam, and convection oven but feel like a "Flan" program is a bit much. Easy to ignore but it kind of turned me off. I am a pretty serious home cook and this feels a bit like a beginner device and it really isn't.

Finally, I have no idea if this is better/worse than Gag/Miele/Thermador, etc. Gag was too much money and the plumbed line is nice but I feel like I can easily change the water tray every six cooking hours. The Gag does allow you to set humidity levels and I was concerned this would be an issue and so far it hasn't been at all and I feel i can approximate this through the on/off steam feature. I love the size of the oven and feel that this gives it an edge over miele/thermador but if I'm truthful I must say it isn't a significant edge.

Can I do most everything in some other way? Yes. Does the steam oven make it easier and quicker so I will do it more often? Yes. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. Should everyone buy one? I recommend it to anyone who uses the oven a lot for small jobs, likes to slow cook, and experiments with various cuisines - especially asian. And if you are a baker especially of bread it is a knockout device.

Hope that helps people and thanks again

Comments (76)

• barryv_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

K4now, there are a number of us looking for recipes. Gagg has several recipe books available on the net, and Miele has a good steam recipe book ( though just steam not combi) As combis are just starting to hit the market, it will probably be a while before there are some good cookbooks to help you use your combi best. One thing to keep in mind is that in general, the various settings deal with how much steam ( 0 to 100 % ) and how much heat from a heating element ( 0 to whatever your top temp is ) so you need to select the combination of steam and heat that works best for your item. I downloaded the user guides for the Viking, Thermador, and Wolf to get some ideas of when you want steam and when you just want heat and when you want a combination.

• Steph Morris
    11 years ago

Does the steam oven work as a microwave too or do we need a separate microwave for quick reheating, popcorn, etc? Thanks.

• barryv_gw
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, the steam combi does not include a microwave - though I think the Sharp offers a combi with both. A small countertop micro will come in handy for things a steam combi doesn't do as well as a microwave

• Donnaty
    10 years ago

Hello Guys,
    I need some advice. Ordering appliances on Monday and considering a Wolf double oven and the Wolf Steam Oven. Any recommendations on eliminating one of the wall ovens? Cabinet space is limited, but I love to cook and don't want to eliminate necessary products.

Thank you for your help.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

Donnaty, personally I don't like the idea of double oven's, I would consider two single oven's if you really need that many ovens.

I have the Wolf Steam oven and one of their single wall ovens and it works for us. I would do more research on double oven's vs two single oven's before you decide on that also.

The Steam oven is plenty big on the inside for most things. I am still learning to use mine as I have been on the road a lot this year, but so far love it as does my wife who didn't even want it.

We just did our first set of steamed veggies in it yesterday and she really liked them, she has always had them boiled, so this was something different.

Unless you are cooking huge meals everyday my personal opinion would be save the money and the space and go to a single wall oven and the steam oven, I don't think you will need all 3.

We actually have a 3rd oven in the Wolf convection/microwave that we also have, and have used it as an oven. It works decently, and in a pinch for heating up something small when the other ovens are both being used it works great. It was $100 more than the standard microwave from them so to me it was a no-brainier.

Phil

• Donnaty
    10 years ago

Thank you Phil
    The combo microwave - convection solves my problem. Thank you for your reply.
    Donna

• jah1795
    10 years ago

I'm seriously considering one of these ovens instead of Electrolux double wall ovens. Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive single wall oven to complement the Wolf? This is a real extravagance for me and I'm afraid I couldn't afford any of the Wolf wall ovens - something basic, reliable, with glide rails and large viewing window, that will look good next to the steam oven? I'm ordering a Bluestar Range Top - but wonder if I should just get the BS 36" Range and not worry about a wall oven. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

We were considering the Electrolux line, and I have read and heard good things about them, maybe look in to those.

If you don't cook a ton of "large" meals in the oven the Wolf steam oven is fairly large. It says it can do a turkey and the web site (Wolf) has video or at least pictures of that I think.

My personal experience says that while it is very large inside, I don't know that I could do a meal for a huge family.

For us it is just my wife and I, and we may entertain friends/family, but with no kids, so it is usually more than good enough for us.

We do have a full size 30" Wolf single oven as well, but we did that just to have a standard oven in terms of resale and to have a 2nd oven as well. We could afford both and don't regret our choice.

Phil

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Replacing my elder double wall oven i opted to get a higher end steam and a standard single. I wanted the two ovens though rarely ever used together, but sometimes. Earlier i considered a bluestar single left hinge. hemmed and hawed and chose a steam and a standard. Just to hard to go from a double to a single. Now i have both with different options. (yet to be installed)

• jannbell
    10 years ago

If you like using a gas oven, the 36" BS range is certainly an attractive option. I'm getting a 36" Wolf all gas range and the Wolf combi-steam oven later this month, and I'm looking forward to having both of them. I've had several gas ovens over the years, and they were just fine, but I know some people don't care for them. To me it seems that having both will be ideal.

• tickleme
    10 years ago

Hello. I'm setting up a kitchen for my mom. Is this steam oven going to replace the regular wolf electric convection oven? We don't use microwave oven so we'll probably use this to reheat items up plus steaming fish. Will this also do roast chicken or pot roast?

Thanks in advance.

• Mistman
    10 years ago

Absolutely, it will do all of that and more.
    I've only been using mine for a week but it's definitely the go-to oven. I also have a Wolf 30" electric and a 36" BS range, I've used all the ovens but the conv/steam is pretty cool. I've done roasted chicken, steamed veggies, roasted potatoes, tomatoes and pickled garlic in a big cast iron pan, corn muffins, and German pancake (again in cast iron) so far. I think people get too caught up in the menus and trying to figure things out. If you read what it'll do and what each cooking mode does just extrapolate a bit to figure out what to try with your own recipes. It will take some experimentation to know what to try but so far everything has come out great. I've only had to fill the water res. once so far. One of the things I like best is no pre-heating and food still gets done quicker than a conventional oven. It sounds like it would be prefect for your mother.

• tickleme
    10 years ago

How often do we need to rescale this unit? I hear the solution is very caustic and it's not allowed to be mailed.... Say if you purchase them online. True?

• cjosull
    10 years ago

I love this group. This thread has saved a lot of time and energy. My DH is trying to convince me that a "cook sink" is an even better / more versatile appliance (because his friend just got one). Never going to happen! Can't wait to get my steam oven.

• Beachcomber000
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. We're in the midst of planning to remodel our kitchen and would love some input from this group.

At the moment, we are planning to install Wolf's 30" double-wall ovens and Wolf's convection steam oven. After reading so many glowing reviews on the combi oven, I'm really excited that we will be purchasing one too, but questioning our original decision to purchase just one. From what I’ve read, I’m guessing that we will be using the combi for most of our cooking. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen as my family has a gluten-free diet, and we cook most of our food from scratch. I’m wondering if we might want to consider installing two combi steam ovens and maybe just one wall oven. We originally decided to forgo a warming drawer(s) so the additional wall oven could be used for that when necessary. I’d prefer to not try to fit a fifth oven into our kitchen, as we’ve already planned a new location in the kitchen for the existing microwave/convection oven which I could do without in a heartbeat -- but not the rest my family.

As the kids are moving out, we’re down to three on a daily basis. We enjoy entertaining, and my family is large and holidays can bring 20-30+ relatives.

Thank you for any input you can give.

• KiraMonster0423
    10 years ago

I have 27 in wall ovens that need to be replaced and have been trying to figure out what to put in their place. After reading this thread, I think we are going with just the wolf combi steam oven for now and deciding what to do with the second space later. We also are gluten free (along with grain free, dairy free, egg free, and lots of other things free) and my 36" wolf gas oven (we have the all gas 36" range) makes phonemail gluten free baked goods. After reading this thread and other's experience with it for both gluten and gluten free baking, I am sold on this oven. Thank you for posting your review. I was originally thinking about the thermador, because the sales reps pushed it over all the other brands and I liked features it had over the meile (they did not even mention the wolf). So I'm going back to the show room tomorrow to take a closer look at the wolf and hear about the features. Had I not stumbled across this thread, I might not have seriously considered it because there's not a lot of info out there on this oven. Thank you again!

• rjremodel
    10 years ago

Curious why Wolf over Miele Combi-Steam?

• Steph Morris
    10 years ago

Hello there,

We are looking at this oven for our new build coming up. Does the oven have a continuous fan that stays on to cool it off after you are done cooking? How long does it stay on and is it loud? Thank you! Noise sensitive Kathy

• westendave
    10 years ago

I love my new combi-steam oven and am using it with an e-series wall oven. What resources are there for cooking information? I can't find books, and would love to reduce my learning curve if I can. We've made bread, steamed fish and veggies, and baked apples and pears.

To Kathy, I appreciate hearing the fan. I know something's going on. The sound is fine to me, not loud.

Thanks for your resource recommendations!

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

I have not seen any cookbooks yet. I put together a bare bones page listing guides that the various manufacturers have put out. https://sites.google.com/site/combisteamconvectionsteamoven/

You can usually use a recipe from a different manufacturer, though it can be confusing because they sometimes use a different term to describe different steam settings, but I have a link to the manuals, so you can work that out if there is some confusion. If you find any other sources, let me know and I will update that page.

Here is a link that might be useful: comby steam cooking guides.

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

My Wolf combo steam should arrive next week. Any new experiences /recepies/ thoughts out there?
    thanks!

• Kelli Culpepper
    9 years ago

Great thread. Thanks for all the excellent info. Can't wait to get our 109 year old kitchen gutted and remodeled. SOON! Keep the info coming AND advise on recipes.

• charon70
    9 years ago

This is a great thread. I am going to purchase the new WOLF M series combi steam oven. For those who have had one for awhile, do you have any additional thoughts about it? Is it overkill to have an all gas range, an electric wall oven, and a combi steam oven?

• Beachcomber000
    9 years ago

Charon, your set up sounds wonderful. We have two Wolf combi ovens, but it wasn't originally planned that way. In fact, I sent a question to this thread (above) but got no replies. We waited for almost two years for Wolf's M series double wall oven to come out, and it still isn't out yet. Our old wall oven had been put back temporarily and was no longer useable; so we ended up getting the M series 30" single convection oven - huge inside -- and the M series combi. I really enjoy having two combi ovens, and do use both at the same time. My husband loves our new M series convection oven - so do I.

Our new combi is the 30" model, which is the same size inside as our original one -- the 24" E Series Transitional one. Apparently, no changes were made to the interior of the oven. I find the smaller oven (outside only) much easier to deal with as far as cleaning, removing the door, etc. The new larger one is heavier, more cumbersome and harder to reach inside. If you don't need a 30" combi, I would recommend going with the 24." Also, I was able to have the handle on the 24" replaced to match the other two ovens.

When we designed our remodel, I wanted to have clean counters with no appliances in view. We still have one -- the Breville Smart Oven that we use so often that we've decided to leave it in the kitchen. We use it every day. The two ovens that we use the most -- quick weekday meals -- are the combi and the toaster oven.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^Could you write a more detailed review of your M series convection oven (maybe in a new thread)? A lot of people here are curious about it.

• alice_lk_lo
    8 years ago

I plan to buy a Wolf 24" E series transitional convection steam oven but the specification said "performance may be compromised if the electrical supply is less than 240 volts". I live in a condo in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I was told that electricity supply in my condo can only be 208 volts. Under this circumstance, can anybody tell me how or in what way this Wolf combination oven's performance may be compromised?

• barryv_gw
    8 years ago

In general, the oven will not heat up as quickly as if it was getting 240 volts. This is true for most ovens with electric heating elements designed for 240, whether is is a regular wall oven, or a combi. In practice, you probably won't notice a problem.

• J K
    8 years ago

While I realize this initial post was several years ago, this feedback is helpful and very relevant today. I'm deciding between a 30" single convection with a steam oven (M or E Series, probably M since it is the newest technology), or a double 30" convection. I'm a bit concerned about the height of the drop down door of either upper oven as I'm only 5'1". Was going to put a microwave in the island and go with the double oven set-up, but now I'm wondering two things:

1. Is the 24" steam oven worth it over a second 30" convection oven? It still seems it is difficult to learn how to cook in it.

2. Would under counter installation in an island be a better location than above the 30" single oven?

Thanks!

• philwojo99
    8 years ago

We have had our Wolf CSO for about 3 years now and love it more now than when we first put it in. We have it in a stack with a microwave above it, so it is the lower part. We also have a 30" Wolf L-Series wall oven in our island (away from the stack). We use the CSO way more than either the full oven or the microwave. We only ever really use the microwave to melt butter and things like that. We only use the big oven when we need more than one oven going.

The CSO is easy to learn and can be used totally as a standard convection oven, though you would just be throwing money away to only use it like that. Don't be scared of it though, it is a great appliance and bigger than you think. It is great to be able to cook multiple items in it at the same time and have it all heat up quickly and evenly. We love it for reheating leftovers more than the microwave. Is it as fast as the micro, nope, but it is a million times better to eat the leftovers from the CSO than the microwave in most cases!

So, to answer you questions I would say for #1 that I would go with the CSO over the 2nd 30" wall oven if you don't cook for large crowds on a consistent basis. If you are cooking for large crowds often, like once a week, than the 2nd 30" oven might be a better choice.

For #2, that is personal preference, but keep in mind that at least for the version of the Wolf CSO I have that the door opens down, like a standard wall oven does, though it is smaller. We have it about 3 feet up off the ground in our stack, below the micro, and we never have any issues with getting food in or out of the CSO at that height. To me having it in an island though might be to low, at least for me at 6'1".

Phil

• J K
    8 years ago

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I really like the idea of the steam oven--healthier cooking, quick pre-heating, good browning while retaining moisture. I could see it either becoming my "go-to" oven or never figuring out how to use it and feeling like I should have gotten two regular ovens instead. It is good to hear that for many, including you, it has become your go-to oven.

We don't cook for a large family and we don't entertain often, but hope to entertain more when we get into our new home--we have only two children so probably no need for two 30" ovens. One steam and one 30", plus a counter top toaster convection oven should be plenty. It is bigger than it looks. Do you find it messy? I just read that one must leave it open to cool down after using it and it must be wiped out? Then there is descaling?

I've never been a fan of sensor cooking (offered on most microwaves) or microwave cooking for that matter, except melting, defrosting already cooked items, or quick reheating. But after looking at the controls on the M-Series convection ovens (which I understand will eventually replace the L-Series), I was rather impressed with the Gourmet settings for different foods. I imagine the steam oven may work similarly and I'll have to get used to trusting that my oven is going to be "smart" enough cook my food for me! Seems Wolf has put quite a bit of thought and testing into this development. Seems like the next best thing to Rosie on the Jetsons!

We are planning a 30" oven stack next to a 36" freezer and 36" refrigerator. I could consider placing the single oven in the island and opt for a 24" vs. 30" wide stack next to the refrigeration, which will give me a wider entry to my adjacent pantry, which we had to reduce from 2-8 to 2-6 to accommodate a 30" cooking stack plus the refrigeration. Wolf will be coming out with a 24" drop-down convection microwave soon which would fit seamlessly above or below the CSO. Hmmmmm.......

My hubby works very late hours and often re-heats dinner so the steam oven is a nice option since I'm not sure how good dinner will be after 5 hours in a warming drawer--another wish list item. But I'm not sure he will be patient enough to wait for it to reheat in the steam oven, let alone a microwave. I'm 5'1", but he is 6'2"....I'd probably prefer the warming drawer at a higher height than even the CSO or microwave. I'm not a fan of warming drawers near the floor, but it might be my only option. Then I'd only use the warming drawer for entertaining. Wolf only has a 30", so I'd have to go with a different brand under a 24" stack, or a 30" in a different location.

Most likely, though, I'll go with a 30" stack with the 30" M-Series CSO, single convection below, and a warming drawer at the bottom. Then a microwave in the island since my kitchen is a double galley set-up so a shorter drop down microwave door or drawer may be better in that location.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I think I'll give the CSO a try. If anything, it will give me one more way to cook and experiment in the kitchen. Maybe I'll even take up bread baking!

• philwojo99
    8 years ago

You asked if I find it messy, not any more than any other oven. Splatters can and do happen, but they seem to wipe up pretty easy in the CSO.

You also asked about cool down time and leaving the door open. Yes, you have to do those things, but it really isn't a big deal, we usually just leave it open while we eat, then wipe it out after. It cools off pretty quickly, so in 15 minutes or so it is good to go. You will get small pools of water on the bottom from the steam, if used, but noting that a rag or sponge can't get up in 10 seconds.

For me, in your situation, I would do one wall oven and the CSO, but that would just be my choice.

I had never used preset cooking modes in the past either, but with the CSO I do use them, though not as often as I probably should. I will say for blueberry muffins the CSO preset mode is spot on, and they have a recipe for it as well, but I follow on from America's Test Kitchen, which is almost the same and it works great in the CSO using the pre-set.

We don't steam veggies and we aren't seafood people, so we don't take advantage of that with the CSO as much as we would like, but the few times we did do it it was great.

For reheating, if I throw something in to the CSO from the fridge I use the "Reheat" mode and I usually set it for 275-300F and then put it on from 9-15 minutes depending on what it is I am reheating. Thicker, denser items I will put longer, you will just get to know it.

Honestly compared to the microwave it is so much better I hate to use the micro to reheat anything any more. 10-15 minutes might sound long, but if you pop it in and then do a few other prep things, like setting the table, washing your hands, getting drinks poured or anything else that 10 minutes flies past pretty quick. And the better tasting food is so worth it to me at least.

Best of luck in your choices!

Phil

• J K
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much Phil!

With the CSO as my future "go-to", I should put it on the wall with the 30" convection and put the microwave, which we will seldom use, in the island. (Now to figure out which kind of microwave!)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'll sign on when my kitchen is done and share mine too!

J
  • Carol
    8 years ago

Anyone have any tips for cleaning the Wolf steam oven?

• lapsangtea
    8 years ago

great thread, now I want some steamed dumplings :)

I am longing for a steam oven in new house....thanks to all who posted their experiences. I'll be looking at comparing Wolf and Miele combi-steam probably...Wolf sounds great.

• kitchengirl
    8 years ago

lapsangtea: if you check out the thread I started at

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3379243/convex-oven-bosch-side-swing-electrolux-thermador-miele?n=35

there is quite a bit on comparing combo-steam ovens.

• lapsangtea
    8 years ago

Thanks for the link kitchengirl! I will go check it out.

• J K
    8 years ago

I just posted on kitchengirl's discussion. I've never used the steam oven, but it is versatile as a second oven and then some. I'm going with the Wolf to best compliment my other SZ Wolf selections. The only negative I see is that it is not self cleaning, but with the steam, splatters may steam off more than in a regular oven. With no broiler coil, clean-up on Wolf will be easier than on those with a broiler. Plus, broiling produces more splatters in the first place.

• michelle puglia
    5 years ago
    Just wondering if you could post a photo of your wolf microwave/combi steam oven Phil??? We are considering this combo as well. Thanks
  • philwojo99
    5 years ago

Well sadly I am divorced and no longer get to use it but here is a pic thoufh it is old. Hood it helps you out loved the steam oven and miss it a lot.

• J K
    5 years ago
    Hi Michelle—we decided on a Sharp microwave drawer with a Wolf 30” convention oven with the CSO above. I LOVE the microwave drawer. It is so much easier to put things in and take them out than a microwave over the oven. Sharp makes most microwave drawers anyway for companies like Wolf, but the newest style when we purchased ours does not have a handle so it is better suited for under the counter. Here are pics of all.
  • cmy
    4 years ago

This is a great thread, and thanks to everyone for the insightful information! I'm wondering if you can give more details on how you clean your Wolf CSO? I watched a video for Thermador's CSO and was a bit alarmed by the evaporator well in the bottom that one has to clean with a provided yellow sponge each night. Do you find that you need to do the same with your Wolf? We had a demo at the SZ showroom and they said a simple wipe down of any moisture inside would do. Also, the chef said that at home she only needed to refill the water when needed, 1-2 times per week (and she has a family of 5).

The Thermador video also said that the water should be emptied out each night. What do you do to clean/maintain the water for your Wolf?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• J K
    4 years ago

My Wolf CSO is not my primary oven. Because of the steam, it is a bit easier to clean than a regular oven. I avoid cooking greasy foods to minimize the mess. The majority of cleaning is wiping condensed steam from the bottom. I sponge it out—it is pretty easy. The side racks are removable for scrubbing. For cooked on grease, spray oven cleaner can be used it it won’t wipe off with detergent and water. I will change the water only if I haven’t used my oven in awhile. Here is my dirty CSO. Need to clean it!

• kitchengirl
    4 years ago

I have been using my Wolf C-S oven for 6 months now, since we moved into our new home. I use it as my primary oven since it is just two of us for most meals, but also have a 30" M-series Wolf oven below the CSO. While it isn't too baked-on dirty yet, I would like to clean the CSO to stay ahead of the curve, so I am hoping for more replies here!

• grannysmith18
    4 years ago

I'll be getting a Wolf M Series wall oven, but I'm very seriously considering getting a CSO to be the "second oven." However, we have a number of foods which we roast covered tightly with aluminum foil (brisket, pot roast type foods). Everything I'm reading seems to be about uncovered roasting and baking.

1) Is the convection a bad idea for slow roasted foods?

2) Also (please, nobody shoot me!) can disposable aluminum pans be used in the CSO? All the information seems to require using the pans and racks that come with the oven.

• J K
    4 years ago

I have an M series convections and CSO. CSO interior is small so while, yes, you CAN use aluminum pans, only certain sizes will fit. Yes, the point is, you open braise without covering meats. I’ll warn you, it DOES get messy and it is not self-cleaning. I stick to cooking veggies, casseroles, souffles and baked items in my CSO, though I did convection steam Thanksgiving Turkey and it was incredible and cooked very quickly. I enjoy it as a second oven, but use it very differently than my larger convection oven. I use my countertop oven all the time as a second or third oven or even as my only oven when reheating items or cooking something small. I love the CSO for re-heating a frozen baguette—12 minutes into convection steam at 355 and it is like fresh baked!

• kitchengirl
    4 years ago

grannysmith: the CSO offers flexibility in cooking, essentially, its only limitation is size. While it was designed to use multiple racks and have steam circulate between, it can be used like most convection ovens within the size limit. Have you looked at combi-steam oven videos on you tube? They show its original purpose. If you have a distributor show room in your greater metro area (ours is Roth, which is MW and NE I think), you can call and speak to the resident chef, who should be able to answer your cooking questions. I have done this several times and he is always great to talk with. They can probably also answer the cleaning question, as I know our guy does it all at his showroom...

• kitchengirl
    4 years ago

p.s. That is the function of the distributor for high-end appliances: to answer the questions that the local retailer cannot. The distributor has a functional kitchen to showcase various appliances and offers free classes to potential purchasers to acquaint them with the appliances.

• grannysmith18
    4 years ago

Thanks J K and kitchengirl. Actually I leave near NYC where Wolf has a big showroom in the A&D building, and I'm planning to go there. But I do like hearing about people's real world experiences in addition to the folks selling the product.

• Jane Ann Kobelski
    4 years ago
    1. While I appreciate and use the various features, what I enjoy most is how quickly it heats up. It will preheat to 350 degrees in about 5 minutes. I have a 36" Wolf range with a gas oven, but in the summer I use the combi-steam oven in hot weather because it doesn't heat up the kitchen as much.
  • kitchengirl
    4 years ago

Good point, Jane Ann: I agree. In our temporary house w/ a 30" gas range, I didn't use the oven all summer bc it made the kitchen intolerable, but I did use my Wolf combi-steam over the last summer in the new home and it was comfortable.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!