Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pknyc

Reviews on Ikea Appliances?

pknyc
9 years ago

I would appreciate hearing from owners/users of Ikea kitchen appliances on what your experience has been with them.

We are looking at Ikea appliances as an option for our kitchen. We have bought Ikea cabinets, and are hoping to benefit from the 20% sale on appliances as well.

This is our first kitchen renovation, so we are not familiar with brand quality on appliances at all - is Whirlpool (the maker of Ikea appliances) a good brand? What is the service like? Is there another alternative that is in a similar price range?

We are specifically looking at a counter-depth fridge, a dishwasher and maybe (depending on final budget) a microwave and gas range.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (61)

• Ichabod Crane
    8 years ago

Doesn't Fridgidare make their appliances?

• Dean Dubbe
    8 years ago

Beware of IKEA's warranties and who stands behind their products. I have a 4 year old IKEA refrigerator made by Whirlpool that stopped cooling 4 weeks ago. I have had 4 service visits and the problem is still unresolved and nobody at IKEA or Whirlpool will take ownership of the problem and either expedite repairs or replace the refrigerator. The warranty is for 5 years, but it is for repair only so it seems they will take as much time as needed to keep trying to repair the problem with the compressor. I will NEVER buy an appliance from IKEA or Whirlpool again based on their poor service and indifferent attitude towards customers.

• practigal
    8 years ago

Dear Dean, unfortunately poor service and indifferent attitude towards customers is hallmark of almost all customer service providers these days. On top of that few repair people actually seem to know how to repair anything....

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Customer svc / repair for appliances is a tough business. When you pay 500 for a DW and it needs an auto sprocket relay valve - or - tightening of the reversing vortex assimilator you are faced with at least a $100 labor charge , sometimes $200 just to get the tech to your house . Then the thingamajig you needs costs $75- $150 so you're looking at 20%- 50% of the price you paid for the machine to fix a 3,5,6 year old machine and most figure it's not worth the cost when " I can get a new DW for $500".

-or - you got something like a miele and it needs a $500 pump plus labor and you just can't stomach the $750.

The public just can't wrap their head around realities and economics of repairing appliances these days or paying for quality and longevity upfront. The marketplace has responded like it always does - and provides cheap but functional appliances that are disposable for the masses, and maintains a semblance of a service network for those that what that route and the necessary evil of warranty work.

• dixiedarlin10
    8 years ago

Dean,

can you post the model and serial # of your refrigerator?

• chrisinsd
    8 years ago

Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux. IKEA Appliances are made by Whirlpool and Electrolux. I've had warranty service on products made by both vendors over the years and both items were repaired timely and as agreed without cost. If you had bough another refrigerator you can forget anyone coming in 4 years at all... All other warranties these days are 1 year. My parents bought a Kitchen Aid refrigerator in 2002 and it stopped cooling in 2011...they actually came out and repaired it with no hassle. Those days are over. The IKEA warranty does appear to be the best on the market. Their products I think are generally fine despite the naysayers here, but there are certainly much better ones available--for many multiples of additional cost.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

I was in IKEA today and I checked out the appliances. The dishwashers, cooktops, and fridges screamed Whirlpool - looked exactly the same as what they sell under other brands. The wall ovens and the microwaves weren't quite as obvious, but when I checked the labels, they too revealed themselves as Whirlpool. However, everything was priced much lower and with much longer warranties than Whirlpool's other brands.

• chrisinsd
    8 years ago

hvtech--exactly...you have got the point.

• gigelus2k13
    8 years ago

@chrisinsd: I think that you're missing the point others have made about the Ikea warranty. Unlike the case where you buy directly an Electrolux appliance, if the Ikea branded one fails within the warranty period the owner will feel like being the ball in a Pong game, as both Ikea and the manufacturer will redirect the call for service to the other party.

• chrisinsd
    8 years ago

Gigelus -- do you have any experience with this? at all? Or are you just making generalizations of what you think is true?

I actually have had two IKEA appliances repaired under warranty over the years which required exactly one phone call--the warranty number you are given is direct to Whirlpool and they handle the repairs for the Electrolux built models too.

There is no "ping-ponging."

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

There used to be many, many threads about just this over at ikeafans before it was shut down. The general consensus there was "don't do it!"

I'm glad you've had better luck, chrisinsd, but a lot of folks weren't so lucky.

• tamaraadilman32
    8 years ago

DO NOT BUY A WHIRLPOOL FRIDGE AT IKEA. We purchased our refrigerator NUTID 2 years ago and it has been nothing but headaches . I have had the repair technician "fix" it more than 8 times. It freezes everything on the top two shelves of the fridge and yesterday it was so warm all the milk went bad. I called again for repair and they did not contact me and we don't even have an appointment. We are using a cooler to keep things cold outside! Obviously we purchased a faulty fridge. My main complaint is the "5 Year" warranty with Whirlpool. Its is terrible and not what they advertise. They will not replace the fridge and say they can only keep repairing it even though it has never been properly fixed. I have never been so frustrated with an expensive appliance and warn you NOT to buy Ikea appliances .Instead go to a reputable appliance retailer in your area who actually stands behind their product.

• i234214
    8 years ago

My recent experience (1 month):

Ikea Lagan dishwasher: so far it does a good job. It was a bit frustrating to install it, the drain hose was too short for what I needed, and there is no way to replace it. Ikea support doesn't know how, yet their kitchen configurator let's you place the dishwasher farther away from the sink, Electrolux support will not tell you over the phone, you have to pay for a mechanic to come and do it.

Ikea Realkstisk electric oven: it has a timer, but when the timer stops, the oven doesn't automatically stop. Do they make them intentionally bad? But what's bad about it is that it leaks water. After having baked potatoes for an hour, it forms condensation on the oven door, which drip down and out of the oven making a puddle on the floor. Again, Ikea doesn't know, and Whirpool can't confirm over the phone whether this is normal or not, they're sending a mechanic to review it, and if it's normal I have to pay for him. How can these bastards function like this.

Ikea Livsgnista cooktop: every time it's a hassle to start. The sparks need a few seconds to start it every single time. Can't use matches to get it started.

I will not buy appliances from Ikea again.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

when the timer stops, the oven doesn't automatically stop

That is becoming more common. I believe the Blomberg ovens work the same way, based on the reviews I've seen and on reading their manual online. I don't know why anyone would design it like this, but evidently it's a thing now.

• David Kender
    8 years ago

We just put together a guide to buying appliances from Ikea. A lot of our research bears out what people in this thread are saying. The warranty is five years, longer than most, but that's no guarantee of fantastic service within those five years. Also, it turns out that sometimes you can save a few bucks buying the Ikea-badged version of an appliance, but sometimes it's cheaper to buy the Whirlpool (or Amana)-badged version from Home Depot or Lowes.

The biggest stinger for buying at Ikea is the shipping fee, which is totally dependent on the distance from the nearest store to your house. We found that it could double the total purchase price if you lived in Des Moines, for instance.

Let me know if you think anything could be improved in the article. We'll be updating this article periodically. http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/the-ultimate-guide-to-ikea-kitchen-appliances

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you may be under the same confusion about shipping that a lot of folks are with regard to cabinets. If you order delivery from a store, cabinet delivery is outrageous, but if you order from the 800 number it's very reasonable. I don't know if that's true for appliances or not.

I think you might mention that many people find that ikea appliances are great till they need service, and then Whirlpool and Ikea can go on forever pointing fingers at each other before anything actually happens. Ikea: Go to Whirlpool. Whirlpool: never heard of that model, etc.

• David Kender
    8 years ago

@writersblock That's good to know that calling the 800 number and ordering off the website may yield different prices. It's certainly a bad user experience if it turns out to be true, but we'll check it out.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

It's certainly a bad user experience if it turns out to be true

I don't think Ikea is ever about a good user experience. What you don't pay in cash you pay in exasperation, but for a lot of folks it's worth it.

• David Kender
    8 years ago

@writersblock We followed up on your question and did more research to see if Ikea had different shipping prices for appliances between ordering online versus calling their 800 number. The answer appears to be no, the prices are the same. (I can't say if that holds true for items other than appliances.)

The only unusual situation we found with Ikea appliance shipping was in the Brooklyn location, which offers same-day or next-day delivery starting at $79. http://info.ikea-usa.com/Brooklyn/delivery.aspx 

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

That's interesting, David. The difference for cabinets is often substantial. But then I think it's much greater if you aren't in a metro delivery area.

• mandysbaba
    8 years ago

We got all Whirlpool 3 years ago, some from Lowe's and some from IKEA. I will never buy Whirlpool again. Horrible experiences, was without an oven for months--yes, months. The repairman came out time and time and time again. But when the IKEA induction cooktop died, they sent me out a brand new one right away. So the IKEA warranty certainly helped. That being said, since we are moving again, I cannot get the appliances at IKEA because they are Whirlpool, but will do the cabinets, etc. from IKEA (4th time...)

• David Kender
    8 years ago

I've got something even better this time. Hope this is useful to everyone. Our resident appliance guru, Keith Barry, penned this epic guide "Every 2016 IKEA Appliance, Reviewed."

http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/every-ikea-dishwasher-range-oven-cooktop-refrigerator-microwave-reviewed

In the article, we have details about every single IKEA large appliance (at the time of publication), including suggested alternatives to the Whirlpool, Maytag, and Amana versions that might be found cheaper.

Happy to take questions here or in the comments on Reviewed.com. I hope this helps people on the fence about what/whether to buy at IKEA.

• PRO
    Vision enVert Inc.
    8 years ago

I am a residential builder and I buy a lot at Ikea for kitchen and appliances. Lately

I had so much problems with there Whirpool appliances . Ikea pass on all responsibility on Whirpool . 3 of 4 oven that I bought this year had problem

and one after 1 month 1/2 and 7 hours lost on phone in several days trying for them to fix a brand new oven on warranty and I still can get result. The oven never been use had a door defect . The first technicien who show up late with a attidude

spoke badly about Whirpool oven he got upset because of the bad quality of there oven . He scratch my brand new venthood refuse to paid for is mistake left without

fixing my oven door, left it on the side of cabinet. I had to call back Whirpool and argue with them to send a new technicien to fix the problem , they refuse to paid

for the scratch on my venthood, After the second technicien came told me he

could not fix it properly that this is a defect of the oven and I had to call back Whirpool to get a replacement. Since I had to call them several time and spoke

to supervisor Rene and Mawule without any result . The service after sale is one of the worst one I have ever seen and Ikea said they are not responsable for that.

So I have lost so fare 7 hours on the phone with them ,paid some one twice to wait

for the technicien, I have a brand new expensive vent hood scracht and I paid

for a insatallation of oven that I can"t use and Whirpool do not call back to resolve

the problem. NEVER BY A WHIRPOOL THEY HAVE THE WORSE AFTER SALE SERVICE.

Endree Villeneuve

• practigal
    8 years ago

Dear Endree,

Don't buy Frigidaire either I can assure you they are just as bad.... Actually I think all of the manufacturers are very bad right now, their quarter end numbers must depend upon selling so many units and they just don't care about anything else, customer service is a costly farce.

• PRO
    Vision enVert Inc.
    8 years ago

I understand no more service. Actually I have better service when I buy in China it

is to bad that I can't buy appliances there.

• RickandLisa Henderson
    7 years ago

We have bought a new kitchen from ikea and purchased 5 appliances to fill it. We have called in technicians 3 times for the cooktop and twice for our oven. We are still waiting for them to return for the oven as they have been ordering parts and still no success. It has now been a month and still no oven. I don't recommend whirlpool to anyone. Will be posting on social media all of are issues as it has been a terrible experience.

whirlpool costumer service has to be the worst I have ever had to deal with. All ikea will do is to call whirlpool for you to get the same information that you can get. Now I know why they offer a 5 year warranty cause you will need it. This all happened in the first year. We bought a self clean stove that couldn't self clean cause it blows all the time. Whatever you do don't buy whirlpool. The ikea kitchen has had no problems though.

• Julie Mathews Ashton
    6 years ago

We bought a new house with an IKEA wall oven last year. The first time I used the self cleaned option on the oven, the thermal fuse blew and the power source to the oven was shot. I googled and found hundreds of people (probably thousands if I had more time) that had the EXACT same thing happen, even within the first couple months of ownership. IKEA knows that this happens and so does Whirlpool who makes there appliances. I called the appliance repair guy and all he could do was laugh because he said he has done hundreds of service calls on Whirlpool IKEA ovens with the same problem. First question he had, was 'did you use the self clean?'. They know this problems exists and they do nothing. So, because I am new owner of this new house, I do not have receipt for the oven, so Ikea basically told me I am screwed, they wouldn't even look up my serial number to prove it was purchased there and date. Manager just said, so sorry, no receipt, too bad , sorry about your crappy oven. Its a $400 fix. The repair guy said, he has returned to same customers like 4 times repairing the same thing for the same person (when you have receipt, Ikea covers it), but what a hassle, every single time you do self clean, you have to call repair person and be without a working oven for a couple weeks! This NUTID oven should have been on recall, and the sad part is, they still sell it !!!! Stay away from IKEA appliances, do your homework and reviews on google first and you will see !!

• PRO
    Vision enVert Inc.
    6 years ago

I had same problem if you read my comments but in order to get justice from Ikea

you have to go over the head of the manager you spoke to and insist and insist

until you get something from them . And since 2 or 3 years ago Ikea change

there quality for there kitchen cabinet too ,there replace MDF board for asponite which is worst quality , the cabinet do not fit properly anymore , the hardware

are worst quality too. The service is gone to the toilet. GOOD LUCK with them.

• nhorvat
    5 years ago
    I have a suite of IKEA appliances - Nutid wall oven and built in microwave , kitchen exhaust fan, electric cooktop. (Decided to go with Frigidaire fridge and Bosch dishwasher)

Everything works well - the wall oven has the handy kitchen timer - The microwave however says it has 950w power output - but takes 50% longer to heat up items than my old KitchenAid 1000W - I would not recommend it
  • PRO
    Vision enVert Inc.
    5 years ago

We (Vision enVert) do extensive renovation when we buy houses and for years we bought Ikea

kitchens and appliances and the last 3 years the quality of there kitchen when down and there

appliances Nutid even moore , there is no service from them if you have a problem with the appliance. We had so many problem with there oven. In one condo project I bought 4 ovens and 3 of them I had a problem and it took months to reseolve and hours of my time loss and it cost me money. This not the only issue we had we there appliances but for me that was the last drop.

I NEVER WILL BUY THERE APPLIANCES FROM THEM

• Junsei
    2 years ago

IKEA switched their appliance manufacturer from Whirlpool to Electrolux/Frigidaire in October 1, 2021.

• Sandy Eppling
    2 years ago

They will switch, or did you get the date wrong? today is july 11,2021?

• colle
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Sandy Eppling, IKEA has already switched so i'll guess it was typo by Junsei.

I was just at IKEA last weekend and confirmed by kitchen dept CSR.

With that being said, has anyone have reviews of the newer appliances manufactured by Electrolux/Frigidaire?

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

I'm going tomorrow and wish this was answered!

• Jen Lukondi
    2 years ago

I just purchased the TVARSAKER induction /convection range. It was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately, I immediately had issues with it throwing error codes. Following the reset directions in the manual did not stop the incessant beeping. After the first time, unplugging it and plugging it back in seemed to work, for a while, and we were able to use the stovetop and oven in the evening; but then at 4:30 am, it started beeping again and I had to unplug it. Now it starts beeping as soon as I plug it in and throwing the same error code. Customer service didn't know what the error code meant and scheduled a service call. (I had some issues getting through and getting hung up on, so not stellar customer service). The first appointment time was 5 days out, so I am now without my stove. Not a good first impression. I was hoping to purchase other appliances from Ikea, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea -- especially since the service call is going to take so long.

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

Aug 2021:

I just bought the new Ikea VÄLGRUNDAD Bottom-freezer refrigerator (Stainless steel1 9 cu.ft).

THE GOOD:

It's quiet! This matters in small spaces!

It feels larger than it's small size (that's because there's no ice or water machine (yay! nothing to break down!)

A point: If nothing else, their present price is quite high for a fridge with no ice/water.

I assume the reason is due to their 5 yr. warranty (the reason I bought it, and I'll be the customer who holds them to that.)

ISSUES:

The delivery people would not put it into the room as it didn't fit through the door with box on and they wouldn't open the box as they said, "we are not allow to take it out of the box".

I took it out of the box and it was delivered with a 1.5" dent!

After a long phone wait and a poorly done 'run-around' on the phone I immediately went personally to the store.

was Ikea willing to completely replace it. I would have a wait however.

So after some polite but firm insistence, I kept the fridge and received a 30% off along with keeping the warranty.

I was originally told I could not keep the warranty, that Ikea does not do that. I rejected this, as that would not be worth the price. And eventually they gave in.

I will update again if I have any other issues. For now it's working well and I am pleased.

• HU-412865238
    2 years ago

We bought the same unit two weeks ago. The delivery people did not bring it into our home either. We had an issue with the outside walls of the fridge getting very hot to the touch. We called Ikea and they referred us to Whirlpool/Electrolux. After 48 minutes on hold we talked to a service guy. When we told him of the heat issue he said "heat is a relative term". After a couple of minutes we got disconnected. Go figure! It seems to have settled down but if the door is kept for more than a minute or two it gets hot again. We are considering returning it. Did you have the same issue?

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

No heat issues outside at all. That doesn't sound good. Do you have ice machine & water?

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

I'd return it I think. Buying a new fridge that doesn't work isn't fair to the buyer! It had been stated that they are no longer selling Whilrpool fridges.. I am wondering if you got an old one on the way out? Was there a "New!" sticker on it in the store like mine had?

• HU-412865238
    2 years ago

Thanks for your support. Yes, we’re returning it. We bought it on line. It may have been old stock but it appeared new when it was delivered. As I am writing this the fridge is heating up our already hot kitchen(no AC)☹️. Now we have to shop for another fridge. What to buy🤔🤦‍♂️.

• HU-412865238
    2 years ago

The 48 mins on hold and getting cut off didn’t help.

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

Glad to hear it! Smart move.

The old stock are new items that were made by Whirlpool who was not taking the warranty seriously. These are discontinued and will not be sold by IKEA anymore due to issues.

Many aren't honoring their warranties so be careful out there and stay away from Whirlpool.

• unikanic
    2 years ago

Build in microwave beautiful and ikea has a warranty.
    But Don’t get the build in microwave, first not powerful enough, and the center part inside at the top melted and dripped on the food, I am sure it not supposed to do that

• Hugo Beltran
    2 years ago

Worse experience buying an Ikea refrigerator. Item was delivered and it is not operational. Ikea expects you to deliver it back to the store at your own cost and inconvenience. Of course, if you don't have a pick up truck and help, your option is to pay movers.....and they don't even offer to pick up that cost!!!!! Last time I buy anything in Ikea. Wayfair offers variety and much better service. 🤬

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

@Hugo Beltran: "Item was delivered and it is not operational. Ikea expects you to deliver it back to the store at your own cost and inconvenience."

The warranty clearly states that "The limited warranty will pay for factory specified parts and repair labor to correct defects in materials or workmanship that existed when the major appliance was purchased." and "Pickup and delivery. This major appliance is intended to be repaired in your home." -- IKEA Limited Warranties

• Hugo Beltran
    2 years ago

I know what the writing says, I also know that no person wants an item that does not work in the first place. The pick up issue speaks about poor service, the fact that the item was deliver not operational speaks not only about bad quality, but also about quality control process. Furthermore, the manufacturer’s warranty call back line does not properly work so I was unable to talk to them. Have already spend 4 hours trying to resolve issue because of your poor quality .

• wdccruise
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@HU-412865238: "Have already spend 4 hours trying to resolve issue because of your poor quality."

Does the warranty state that the appliance may be returned at IKEA's expense? I don't see that.

According to the warranty, "Who will execute the service? This limited warranty is provided by Whirlpool Corporation (hereafter “Whirlpool”). Service must be provided by a Whirlpool designated service company." Did you try booking a service appointment on the Whirlpool website?

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

I know that IKEA offered to pick up my refrgerator when it was delivered with a dent. So I'd personally think yes, they should come back and get it.

• hollyzana
    2 years ago

Also, are you sure it's a Whirlppol? MY new one from IKEA was not made by Whirlpool. Bought August 21.

• Gad Ocansey
    2 years ago

i purchased Ikea refrefrigerator (ÖVERSKÅDLIG) french door. only the fridge size is cooling .. the freezer and the flex drawer refuses to cool