Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help w/SubZero Condenser Cleaning

Posted by Fun2BHere (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:13

I have an old SubZero side-by-side with the condenser on top. I clean the condenser monthly with a soft brush and a vacuum. Recently when I was having problems keeping the unit at cold enough temps, I had a service person come out. He cleaned the condenser with water and mentioned that sometimes a brush and vacuum don't get it clean enough.

My question is...should I try to clean the unit with water every other month or so? If I do, will the unit rust as there's no way to get it completely dry?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help w/SubZero Condenser Cleaning

Honestly I'd call Sub Zero and ask them. Their customer service is fantastic.

I have a 501 R and 501 F that are nearly 28 years old and I've only used an appliance brush and vacuum. None of the service techs have ever mentioned using water.

o

According to "what seemed to me" a "Knowledgeable former poster here, He claimed that some of the "Copper Problems" that SZ had with "Evaporators, not Condensers, as I recall, was due to the use of 2 metals, copper tubing with aluminum fins and yes moisture, particularly the kind near the sea shore, exacerbated the oxidation of the copper coils, but as I mentioned, as far as I had read, that was the evaporator coils not the condenser coils--- BUT-- as the other poster here said, "Check with SZ", better safe than sorry!

Good luck with it!

Gary

o

Thanks for your replies. I will call SubZero before I start cleaning with water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here