Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipshot_gw

Outdoor Gas Grills, KitchenAid vs. Lynx

chipshot
15 years ago

I saw a KitchenAid outdoor gas grill that impressed me and after a little digging discovered that it was manufactured by Lynx (which I have read about a bit but not yet seen). I'm looking for opinions about the KichenAid grills and how they compare to similar size Lynx models.

Differences I have noted between the two (besides price - Lynx is a lot more expensive) include cast brass burners on the Lynx (which poster Guadalupe said rust from the inside out) vs. stamped burners on the KitchenAid, fixed ceramic briquettes on the Lynx vs. steel baffles on the KitchenAid, and hood assist on the Lynx vs. none on the KitchenAid.

Our will be a natural gas installation, so we will be reliant on the installer to perform the conversion (I don't believe either brand offers specific natural gas models). Having read the threads found by a search for Lynx, I learned that Alfresco, DCS, and Firemagic grills also have fans here so I will also investigate them.

To think, I was just going to go with another Weber (although my wife was planning to purchase a Viking as a surprise). How was I to know how much was available? And I naively thought I was out of the woods after selecting our kitchen and laundry room appliances.

Comments (13)

• djh64
    15 years ago

You should also try looking at Alfresco as the same person who started Lynx has developed teh Alfreco line. Alfresco uses a similer ceramic brickette on a ss tray heat and flavor distribution. I think ceramic is far superior to the metal flaver bars as SS is a very poor conductor of heat where as ceramic is very good conductor of heat. So you will get a more effective heat and flavor dispersment.

• chipshot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I take cars for test drives before making a purchase decision and wish I could do the same with these grilles. I'll even supply the food. Then I could judge whether ceramic briquettes are worth the roughly $1,000 additional.

• chipshot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today's mail brought the Frontgate catalog, which featured their professional grill. It looks capable and seems nicely priced at $2,299. I wish I could see one locally, as there's no way I'd make such a major purchase sight unseen.

Is anyone here familiar with this grill? Does anyone know who makes it? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's another product of the Lynx factory.

Unmatched Construction:
    Â Non-corrosive 304 stainless steel will endure for seasons
    Â Painted 38" ceramic brick firebox
    Â Distinctive granite work surface is highly scratch-resistant
    Â Double-walled hood construction guards against heat discoloration
    Â Heavy-duty locking casters provide safe and secure mobility
    Â 10-year warranty on primary burners

Peerless Performance:
    Â 107,000 total BTUs
    Â Four 13,000 BTU cast stainless steel primary burners
    Â Two 12,000 BTU side burners
    Â 18,000 BTU infrared searing burner
    Â 13,000 BTU infrared rear burner with included rotisserie kit

Premium Features:
    Â Push-and-turn electronic igniters for effortless grill lighting
    Â Convection-style cooking vents for enhanced heat distribution
    Â Stainless steel warming shelf removes for easy cleaning
    Â Spacious utility drawers store your cooking utensils
    Â Full-width stainless steel drip pan for easy grease management
    Â Commercial-quality stainless steel grill grates
    Â Under-hood interior lights keep you cooking after dark
    Â Included all-weather vinyl cover guards grill from the elements

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontgate Professional Grill

• eking
    15 years ago

Does anyone know of a less expensive grill for an outdoor kitchen? After the landscape work we just can't spend that much on a grill. Any ideas for a built in grill under $1000.00?

• timwalker69
    15 years ago

I have a Lynx 36" with PRosear. All I can say about the grill is WOW. Seared a ribeye on both sides for 3 mins ea side and it was perfectly cooked, about an 1/8" sear and erfect med rare inside.

Now for the bad. I bought from Direct Buy and had GC install. The grill lights stay on all the time and the lighters are not working property. Customer service is a joke. I think they have one person, so you are on hold forever. Then he had no idea about the problem. Said he would have a service man call. That was a week ago and guess what, nothing. Had previously left voice mail and emails and nothing. So CS SUCKS big time,

• brendamc
    15 years ago

We were sold on Lynx, but now are being pushed towards Twin Eagles. For a 42", about $500 less, & I like the hexagonal grill pieces & the both direct & radiant grilling. I've heard some scary things about Lynx Customer Service. But, we don't see Twin Eagles anywhere in upscale homes. Thoughts?

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

I've looked at the Lynx and Twin Eagle at BBQ's Galore. they are SOLIDLY BUILT (welded stainless, no screws to rust). I think TE is kinda new and (supposedly) designed by folks who left Lynx.

I think the Viking is overpriced for what it is.

And you won't find a high quality grill like these for less than $1000. The high price is due to the price of superior stainless. The cheaper stuff will rust or corrode over time.

Check the link. They have many different vendors at different price points. Also, if you look around, they have videos of many of the grills that show how they are put together and how they work. A good site for research.

Here is a link that might be useful: grill site

• gardenprincess_77
    15 years ago

Lynx was founded by 3 salesmen and 1 design engineer. Two salesmen left and founded Alfresco. The design engineer, Dante, left Lynx and founded Twin Eagles. TE has been around since 2000 and designed and manufactured grills in the past for Ducane Meridian, CalSpas Calflame, Jenn-Air, Jade, and Maytag before those brands went to China. They still design and manufacturer for two other major brands. Based on my research, Dante is the ASGE (American Society of Gas Engineers) National President and is known as "the godfather" of the bbq industry. So I would trust Twin Eagles and their warranty and craftsmanship over Lynx or any other grill manufacturer esp those made overseas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Dante and Twin Eagles

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

I also read somewhere that KitchenAid used to use Lynx but now they use a different manufacturer (chinese).

• chipshot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I purchased the KitchenAid grill in July and have enjoyed using it. I'll have to look to see what its ''made in'' label says as far as manufacturing location (of course even if it says made in the good old USA it could be chock-full of Chinese parts; it's almost impossible to check all the details anymore).

• andnes68
    9 years ago

To All:

Djh64 stated "SS is a very poor conductor of heat whereas ceramic is very good conductor of heat." I have my own correction to submit.
    Stainless Steel, like most metals conduct heat very well and ceramic materials generally do not. This is why ceramics are used as insulators not conductors. So, take djh64âÂÂs statement, reverse it and youâÂÂve got yourself a great endorsement for ceramic materials in grills.

• stanwhittier
    7 years ago

Hey, folks - word of warning - Been a proud owner of a 42" Lynx grill for several years. For the
    first time since I've owned it - I busted out the rotisserie and decided
    to grill up some chickens. An hour into the grilling, the rotisserie
    motor (factory original) gave up the show. Disassembly of the Lynx
    grill motor confirms that the transmission housing (internal to the
    external enclosure) is made of a thermoplastic(!) In the course of my
    two hour grilling - the transmission housing clearly became hot enough
    that it exceeded the melting point of the enclosure - mind you - not so
    much that it was dripping but just enough that the transmission mounting
    plate warped enough that the entire assembly is useless. THis is
    nuts. Anyone that designs a product that operates around high temps using a
    thermoplastic is asking for failure . . . .and, well, it's not what you expect when you plunk
    down this kind of dough. Avoid Lynx. Nice veneer - what's under the
    hood is crap.