Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Treatment Systems

Posted by pholden11 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 12:38

I've been researching the wide range of systems/methods for dealing with iron content in well water. There is certainly a great deal of variety. Some use additives to the salt tank of traditional softeners (Kinetico, Culligan, etc). I've used these in the past with limited results. While they seem to remove some of the iron, if you forget to add it when you add salt, you end up with the yellow-tint in your laundry again.

I'm using a system right now that incorporates a carbon-block filtration system and ozone. It's a tank similar to a softener, but does not use salt or chemicals. It does run through a regen cycle of an evening, so there's a little waste of water. The system - called 'Iron Shield' - is made by Freije Treatment Systems. So far so good. As I understand, the carbon somehow traps the iron, then flushes it during the regeneration cycle. This seems to be a 'greener' way of dealing with iron content in well water.

Any suggestions or other ideas would be welcome from everyone. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Treatment Systems

You will get more and better answers in the plumbing forum.

There is a thread now called "Water Softener and Iron filter selection"

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Softener and Iron filter selection

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here