Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Shipping an OKM cross country

navi_jen
9 years ago

Well, I found my HG stove..a 1954, 6 burner, double glass oven OKM stove. Bought it from the original owner's granddaughter...it's been in the same family for 20 years and has almost pristine chrome, the ovens are spotless, and only 1 visible chip on the porcelain (on the kickplate). The challenge is it's 2000 miles away. I've purchased it, now I just have to get it back to Boston (it's in AZ now). The shipping will cost more than the stove, but I can live with that.

One of the LA antique stove stores gave me the name of their shipper and their quote is reasonable..and it includes full crating (in a wooden box). However, if you read the fine print of their Bill of Lading, they basically deny a bunch of liability for damages:

-They will only drop it off at the curb
-Owner fully releases carrier from damage of any kind to flooring, carpeting, walls (the list goes on)
-For damages that result in mishandling such as bumping, dropping load shifting, etc the maximum amount the company can be held liable is $3.00 per pound per item
-Company X expressly does not recognize loss in value to any cargo item physically damaged as the result of mishandling.
-Have to declare damage at time delivery (not a big deal)

Has anyone shipped an appliance cross country? Are these terms reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

• tallulah201
    9 years ago

Look at Antique Appliance.com get their # they can advise they restore old appliances especially stoves they come to them from all over the world hope this helps you .