Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodge59

Was it a Bad appliance purchase or Service for it?

dodge59
9 years ago

If one looks at negative reviews on various appliances, many of the posters of those reviews, are really unhappy with the appliance, (they call it Junk), and even think about replacing the appliance (after several attempts to repair the appliance).

So One must ASK~~~~~~"Is the appliance really that bad,
or was it the appliance repair service that let them down?"

Here's an example, (Close to Home) yeahh My Home,(LOL).

For 8 years my Jenn-air fridge has been trouble free, except for an ice maker I replaced myself after about 5 years~~No biggie, was easy to do and cost $125.

In the last 2 months, the freezer temp has been swinging wildly from 0 F to about 20 F, (for 8 years it always read 0 F).

I tried diagnosing the problem myself, I even got a service manual for it , along with descriptions of how the different parts of the fridge work, (Auto defost, temp control, etc)
It even has "built in" diagnostics~~~yet I still, (even after a couple of weeks), could not figure out what was wrong!!!

I called Jenn-air. They were no help, they didn't even have a service manual for it and didn't know how to run the "Diagnostics" on it. All they are "There for" is to send you "recommendations" for "JA Authorized Service"!

They gave me names of 3 appliance service companies.

I checked each one out on Yelp ,Angie's List, BBB & any other info/reviews that I could find.

The reviews were "HORRIBLE" for 2 or the 3 companies Jenn-air recommended,
(I mean really HORRIBLE)!!!!!!
Had I called one of these companies, I'm sure they would have replaced the temp sensor in the freezer and probably the "Mother Board", charged me
& "been on their way" & left me with a "Still Broken Fridge"!!

Fortunately Company # 3 had great reviews!!!

So I decided to "Check them Out"!

I had a leak in the door seal of our Maytag washer, so I called them out to fix it.
They did a great job for a reasonable price, ~~~so while the repair guy, (Tony) was here, I told him about the problem with the JA Fridge.

Tony listens to my description of the problem, then takes a quick look at the fridge and says, "The fridge has a partial clog in the sealed system".

Sheeeshhh, I spend weeks trying to determine the problem and in 10 seconds He has the answer!!!!!

Tony says, "I will order a dryer for the sealed system, I will come back, clean out the system and install the new dryer".

So yesterday, (July 1st,2014), Tony comes back, cleans out the sealed system and shows me the "Culprit", its about the size of 2 pinheads put together and looks to be copper.

He charges the system, writes up the invoice.
I say, "That's not nearly enough for the work you did", (Aren't I a "Crazy Old Loot)????, but an honest one and willing to pay for what I get, (Excellent Service)!
He would not take a penny more!
He has seen my expensive convertibles in my garage)(LOL).

Anway He left, and this AM I checked the Fridge, It read 0 F for the Freezer and I have checked it every hour and it sits right at 0 F, (as it had done for the previous 8 Years).

Needless to say, "I'm a Happy Camper" got my "Belolved JA Fridge "Healty again"!

So, before you put the blame on the appliance for either taking too many trips to fix it, or breaking down too often,
CHECK OUT THE REPAIR COMPANY FIRST!!!!!
You should do this even before you make a final decision on what appliance or brand of appliance you are going to buy.

I Did check out the appliance service company and I'm sure glad I did!!!!

Let's here your stories of similar situations. Thanks

Gary

Comments (3)