Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice on back panel of refrigerator only unit

Posted by front (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:59

Viking
Model Number: VCRB5301

The unit is a refrigerator only; it does not have a freezer. There are two evaporators in the refrigerator. There is a small on on the bottom that goes to a fresh food bin and the main one at the top. The bottom one is supplied first from the cap tube. There is not a defrost system in the unit (no heater, etc.). I was looking through the tech sheet, and it states that the unit will run 100 percent of the time, if the thermistor is shorted. If it is open, it will not run at all. Both sides of the evap (where the u bends are) were encased in ice. The thermistor was also encased in ice. I would think that the refrigerator would have cycled off from this, but it didn't. There is also a clixon on the back panel next to the evap. I could not find it on the wiring diagram. The bi-metal section faces the refrigerator section. I placed it on a block of ice and could not get it to close.

My only conclusions at this point are that it is either an issue with the thermistor or the unit is low on refrigerant and gradually building ice from the bottom evap up to the top. What are your thoughts on the issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice on back panel of refrigerator only unit

I have zero experience with this on a fridge and didn't understand a lot about what you said, but when my A/C didn't work earlier this summer, that happened to the outside unit. The A/C would run, but it wasn't producing cold, just the fan was blowing. The guy initially had cleaned out the outside unit and left. When I called and said it was still just blowing warm air, he asked if the pipe leaving the outdoor unit was iced up. Yep. Then he came and cleaned out the indoor unit. I replace the filter more often than recommended because we have two big, fluffy dogs. The filters/baffles/screens whatever inside the indoor unit were covered in fur and sludge.

Don't know if that translates to your issue, but the iced up part made me think that it might be helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here