Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

Ice on back panel of refrigerator only unit

front
9 years ago

Viking
Model Number: VCRB5301

The unit is a refrigerator only; it does not have a freezer. There are two evaporators in the refrigerator. There is a small on on the bottom that goes to a fresh food bin and the main one at the top. The bottom one is supplied first from the cap tube. There is not a defrost system in the unit (no heater, etc.). I was looking through the tech sheet, and it states that the unit will run 100 percent of the time, if the thermistor is shorted. If it is open, it will not run at all. Both sides of the evap (where the u bends are) were encased in ice. The thermistor was also encased in ice. I would think that the refrigerator would have cycled off from this, but it didn't. There is also a clixon on the back panel next to the evap. I could not find it on the wiring diagram. The bi-metal section faces the refrigerator section. I placed it on a block of ice and could not get it to close.

My only conclusions at this point are that it is either an issue with the thermistor or the unit is low on refrigerant and gradually building ice from the bottom evap up to the top. What are your thoughts on the issue?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County