Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

need large side-by-side fridge: ge vs. whirlpool vs. samsung?

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi there,

We are in need of the largest capacity side-by-side fridge possible, but a built-in fridge is beyond our budget of around $2000 or less. (We tried a french door fridge for 30 days in our last house but ended up returning it since our kids struggled with the pull out bottom freezer; it wasn't a good fit for our family, which is too bad since most large capacity fridges are french door style!)

In a 29+ cubic feet fridge, there are very few options. It basically comes down to GE Profile vs. Whirlpool vs. Samsung (although I am open to other input: just want to avoid LG.) Here are my brief thoughts on the models I am considering:

GE Profile: I have previously seen bad reviews of GE fridges, but I have been surprised to see that the large capacity GE side-by-side has positive reviews on an array of sites. Have their fridges improved or do you think these reviews are from customers who have not owned the fridgelong-term? Our local appliance store--Yale in Boston--said that they stopped carrying GE due to reliability issues, although I hear that their stoves and microwaves are good.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PSE29KSESS.html

Whirlpool: We previously had the very large Whirlpool before we moved, and we mostly liked the fridge. However, I really didn't like the monochromatic stainless steel as it had a brownish tone and got dirty much more easily than my previous SS fridge (which was a Kitchen Aid.) I am concerned about mixing the monochromatic stainless with our range, which will be just one cabinet away. (For a range, we are leaning towards GE or Electrolux: induction.)

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WRS950SIAM.html

Samsung: I know that Samsung fridges are popular. However, several local appliance stores here don't carry them because of complaints about how long it takes to get parts for repairs. Also, the price tag is high, and I have seen some bad reviews online.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RSG309AARS.html

I welcome any suggestions of alternate fridges to consider or input on the ones I listed above. We need to pick our fridge within the next few days so that our cabinets can start getting made. :-)

Thanks so much!

Sara

Comments (2)

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

I don't see anybody jumping in, so maybe I can help get a conversation started for you.

GE had pretty significant reliability and parts problems with its fridges when it started contracting out (outsourcing), but it has brought much of its production back to the US a few years ago. CR's survey data shows that GE is now no less (and no more) reliable than most other brands of SxS models. In our area, GE also cut back on the number of dealers it works with and seems to be concentrating on the highest-volume retailers
    and big-box stores. Some friends bought one of the large new GE SxS models a month or so ago -- I think it is the one rated for 29 cut. ft. -- and say they are very pleased with its features and capacity.

Something to else to bear in mind is that rated capacity is often overstated. Supposedly 25 to 28 cu. ft. SxS fridges sometimes turn out to have no more than 18 cu. ft. of actual capacity. Capacity is affected by the size of the through-the-door ice and water dispensers and some of the larger capacity models have two ice makers. If memory serves, CR rated the Whirlpool and Samsung SxS models as having more usable capacity than other brands with similar capacity claims.

Samsung models have separate evaporators for the freezer and fridge compartments. Not the same as having completely separate compressors and cooling systems (ala Sub Zero) but still something of a marketing leg up because of the theoretical advantages. When I was fridge shopping, it seemed that the jury was still out on whether the separate evaporators made much practical difference.

Doesn't the biggest Samsung SxS have an external display screen that connects to the internet or you smart phone or displays photos or something? Strikes me one more thing to fail. cascade to other circuitry and interfere with the primary functions.

FWIW, some friend have had a Samsung 26 cu. ft. SxS (no screens) for three years with no problems. They make heavy use of the external dispensers.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 15:48

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JWVideo, this is the second thread on which you have been SUPER helpful with regards to appliances! Your points about fridge capacity were really interesting. I went online and looked at interior photos of the Whirlpool vs. the GE side by side fridges and noticed that ice maker takes up at least one additional, useful shelf in the GE version. Maybe this means that I could consider some slightly lower capacity fridges if I can find out more about "true capacity." Maybe I will start a separate thread on that...

In general, it is good to know that GE might be a contender again as there are not that many choices for side-by-side. However, I am now worried that they might be wasting valuable space (with the ice maker) that we could easily use up with our family of five. :-)

I am curious to see if I get any responses to the fridge capacity question!

Many thanks again,

Sara