Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compact fridge for a dorm

Posted by gmp3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 11:51

Son is headed to college and wants a fridge (better than a tv IMHO). The problem with most mini fridges is that the freezer stinks. I found these 2 models which appear to have real freezers and was wondering if anyone had experience with them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-2-Door-Refrigerator-Freezer/19715196

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-3.1-cu-ft-2-door-compact-refrigerator/p-04695683000P

I saw the Kenmore one and am not impressed with the door storage. He drinks lots of milk.

i don't want to spend more than $160.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compact fridge for a dorm

Does a freezer really matter in a dorm fridge? You don't put beer in a freezer although you can with vodka :-)

o

Good point Weissman, however, obviously MY kid won't be drinking in college, perhaps his roommate will have bad habits though. ;-).

Hot pockets and frozen pizza are both good with beer though, if you are a college kid.

o

Teach him about defrosting.

o

Hey all: I'm resurrecting this post since we're also in the market. For me, issues are mainly price under $200. Don't think a full freezer is a must. Looking at AJ Madison I see these brands:
Avanti, Danby, GE Spacemaker, Frigidaire, Supentown. Summit. Add Magic Chef and Haier from Home Depot. Kenmore from Sears.

Is there any demonstrable advantage to any of these? I suspect they probably all come out of the same factory in China anyway. Or, any reason to spend more for either greater reliability or performance? Or just grab one and hope for the best?

o

We bought one at Lowes last summer that was $99 on sale and it did the job. I wouldn't pay a lot for one. It was a 3.3 cu foot model. They should be going on sale shortly if they haven't already.

o

Just buy one off craigslist. There are tons of those little things floating around. Can't be hard to find one for $50 bucks barely used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here