Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Panel ready DW--European model better since it's flush--true?

julieste
9 years ago

I'm in the market for a replacement DW and am looking at Bosch, KA and Miele. I currently have just a regular-front KA, but I am thinking I want to put a panel on the new replacement. I just read this on the Yale Appliance blog, and, since this is a retrofit where the dishwasher is in a run of standard-depth cabinets, I am wondering if I should now eliminate the KA as a brand under consideration. (But, I do like the idea of the larger capacity KA, so that is a trade-off I would be making).

Do you agree with this statement from Yale? And, does anyone have any photos of a KA dishwasher with a panel installed in a row of cabinets? Thanks so much.

"European dishwashers will sit flush in a 24" deep cabinet. This is an attractive feature because the door will not protrude from the cabinets, if you are placing a panel on the front of your dishwasher in a 24" deep cabinet I would strongly advise that you choose a European model such as Bosch, Miele, Asko, Thermador, or Gaggenau so that the cabinet door will line up with your remaining cabinetry...........

American dishwashers have a large capacity. The door will protrude 2-3 inches from a 24" deep cabinet to accommodate a greater capacity than many American-style models, if you want to put a panel on your dishwasher, an American-style model will look best installed in an island or a deeper than 24" cabinet."

Comments? Thoughts? Thanks much.

Comments (9)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

In Houzz, use the search term "Kitchenaid paneled dishwasher". I got a lot of hits, and many of them look "flush", but I can't tell whether the cabinets are standard depth.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

There's another factor. The install width is 23-5/8" and will need adjustment for Miele to ensure it is as quiet as it should be.

My Miele has a panel and sits absolutely flush.

I definitely like a cabinet panel and the top controls. I feel this keeps the kitchen from looking dated. I often can date a kitchen from the look of the DW.

Had 2 Mieles now. Loved them both and would not ever buy a different brand as there is no significant advantage.

Cutlery for a dinner party for 18:

32 places just on the bottom rack

IMO capacity isn't a really valid issue.

• JRO123
    9 years ago

If you are looking for a true flush paneled dishwasher and your budget allows for it, go for Miele or AEG, both european makes. But you're also getting the energy efficiency with those models. Especially AEG, one the highest energy efficiency models on the market. Performance is second to none with those two brands, and life expectancy is great. If you can find on with a built in water softener, i believe both those units work as well. The problem with going with a larger appliance in a large cavity is if you ever want to or need to replace the dishwasher you have to make sure there will not be any issues either. From a pure design stand point, go for the european brands.

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is very helpful, and, rococogurl, that definitely is a LOT of dishes you have in the Miele. I think I am going to have to go do some careful measuring of my existing opening and the dishwashers I am looking at.

I am out to hit the appliance stores again in a bit so this is really useful info to have. Thanks,

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

If you're out to visit appliance stores, take some of your dishes, glasses and silverware with you to see how it fits in the tines of the specific dws you are looking at.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Yes, Yale is correct. With normal cabinets you will get the best results with a European dishwasher if you are paneling the front.

• xedos
    9 years ago

"I am wondering if I should now eliminate the KA as a brand under consideration."

Yes .

It is much harder to to integrate a 3/4" thick panel to be flush with adjacent cabinetry on a KA. The toekick detail is also not as good , so it too detracts from the "hidden" illusion.

2. They are also not as robustly built as their miele and bosch counterparts.

The Bosch units are easy to integrate and come with gaskets already attached to allow them to fit a 24" opening.

The American units are larger - strictly speaking, but............................

you aren't going to be able to fit an xtra pot, or lasagna pan or salad bowl in them. Tehy just aren't that much larger. You MIGHT fit an xtra plate in one. Then again you might not, because the euro models tend to have more efficient racks.

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am kind of coming to the conclusion that if I want a paneled DW it will need to be one of the European brands. And, I found a pretty good deal on a floor model top-of-the-line Bosch that I am going to go back and take another look at.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Most of the current Bosch dishwashers (most of which are manufactured in the US) have moved to a deeper tub, with only the top of the line German-built models and the low-end Ascentia (sp?) plactic base dishwashers retaining the European shorter depth. They're still not quite as deep as the Whirlpool/Kitchenaid DWs and will fit flush between US-standard 24" deep cabinets.