Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Fridge with LOTS of produce storage

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

My family consumes > 3 gallons of milk per week and probably >10 pounds of apples. (More than 3 big bags).

Looking for a fridge that has lots of room for fresh produce, ideally lots of BIG crisper drawers.

Everything I look at, even the newer FD fridges have small crisper bins. Suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• User
    11 years ago

All any commercial fridge is is a shelf that you place color coded bins on. Translate that practice to your home use style and place some produce in it's own sealed container.

Or perhaps get a refrigerator drawer that is soley dedicated to produce in addition to a "regular" refrigerator.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I agree Oliver. I've never seen residential fridge with enough cripser/ produce storage larger enough for what we consume. We go through more than two gallons of milk/week and pounds of fresh veg and fruit. I store overflow in the non-cripser area of our kitchen KA unit or in our garage fridge. Works well for me. Good luck!

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would a four door French Door solve this problem?

• aliris19
    11 years ago

We go through 2 gallons of milk per week about 5 bunches (big, big) of leafy greens and tons and tons of cartons and containers and bags of harder-type vegetables (carrots, etc). I'm actually finding my Samsung FD keeps up with this, surprisingly. It's the first fridge I have that has. I just love this thing. I don't think stated capacity alone is the issue; usability matters a lot too. There are two very deep drawers accessible by either open French door. And there's a full-width drawer accessible when both FDs are open. I think newer models have a second of these full-width drawers accessible independently of the FDs. Whether that cuts down on overall capacity I don't know by necessitating space for the mechanism of the fourth door. But it sounds like it might be a helpful feature - potential space trade-off notwithstanding. But I can't speak to this personally.

There are other kinds of fridges that many on this list know a lot about, namely ones that don't have freezers attached so the entire space is devoted to being a refrigerator. Maybe that would work for you? Formerly I had no idea there was such a range of refrigerator options but I'm new to this high-end world. It could be that visiting a high-end appliance store would be worth your while to see some of these rarer, fancier offerings.

BTW, I'm not sure what veggies you're having trouble handling, but I've been told that people in Mediterranean climates (warm, not broiling) with tons of leafy veggies keep them fresh outside of the fridge in large buckets of water (I imagine you change the water nightly). If, like me, it's those large bunches of the leafy stuff that cause the most problem, this could be a work-around perhaps? Obviously people dealt for millenia without refrigeration....

• jjb3350
    8 years ago

Hello, I am looking for the same thing. Did you find a good solution?

• Leigh Williams
    6 years ago

Same here!

• M
    4 years ago

I actually thought that our True commercial fridge was quite affordable compared to equivalent residential models. And I just couldn't justify the cost of a SubZero for the garage fridge.

Extremely happy with the decision to get a True all-fridge

• Lynn Nevins
    2 years ago

I ended up on this thread for same reason.... my vegie drawers in the fridge are always PACKED. So yeah, I too have had to resort to keeping some produce on the regular fridge shelves. That said, what HAS helped greatly are Vegibags. Pricey, but they keep my produce fresher, longer. When in the produce bins, the Vegibags retain dampness for a few days. But on a regular fridge shelf, I have to re-dampen my Vegibags pretty much daily. Either way it's also good to poke through your Vegibags every few days...making sure nothing is too mushy, or with regards to delicate fresh herbs, that nothing is getting smooshed. I generally move the contents around a bit, to provide sufficient air flow...

• suemackey
    2 years ago

I just recently discovered Rubbermaid Freshworks Produce Savers containers and they have changed my life! I can prewash large amounts of greens and keep them in these containers in the frig for long periods of times. When I'm prepping a salad, I can also throw other veges into the same container and all is ready to go next time I make a salad. They obviously store on the shelf. I've tried vegibags and everything dries out. This doesn't happen in these plastic containers.