Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf Range - Delayed Ignition

Posted by Mikal1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 11:23

Hi Folks,

Maybe someone here could help me out. We're looking at a used R364G and noticed when running it through it's paces that it takes a (way too) long time for the oven to light. So I immediately thought of the past recalls, but this critter doesn't fit into either of them (one way back in 2001 and more recently in 2009 (I think)). And there have also been some reports of similar issues outside of those recalls.

I was hoping that someone might have some experience and understanding as to what the fix was/has been for these issues? Was Wolf simply replacing the oven ignitor or was there something else at fault?

Anyone have experience having a Wolf oven repaired due to delayed ignition?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf Range - Delayed Ignition

How long is too long? My Wolf range oven takes a while to light, longer than my previous oven, but I thought that was normal for the glow-bar type of ignitor.

o

Hi Jelly,

Thanks for replying. I'll give you two answers, a) greater than 60-seconds which is what Wolf support told me is the maximum that it should take, and b) greater than 3-minutes which is about what this one seems to take. Although I didn't/haven't actually timed it to be honest.

Does that match what your experience has been? I appreciate your input.

Thx!

o

I would say that mine ingnites somewhere close to that one-minute range.

It is my understanding that Wolf switched to spark ignitors in their new version of this range because they are supposed to be more durable (longer lasting) than the glow-type. However, I preferred the glow-type because they are silent and don't make that annoying clicking noise whenever they re-ignite. I figured having to replace the ignitor more often was a small price to pay for not having that annoyance. My range is fairly new, so I haven't had any issues.

Have you already purchased this range, or just considering it? If you haven't already bought it, I would ask the current owner to replace the ignitor before purchasing.

o

Google
gas oven common parts replace

If the oven is over five years old, the thermostat (poor function or badly positioned), igniter (= glowbar) and safety valve are usually prime suspects.
The fault can be subtle. May show correct temperature on a thermometer in an empty oven but lack the heat density to cook properly. Long warmup and cooking times with underdone results using test cake mixes and cook from frozen items are typical.

This post was edited by laat2 on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 14:07

o

Thanks folks, all really helpful stuff. Yes, trying to factor in something for the repair. A bit of a crap shoot of course, but that comes with this territory.

o

Good luck. If you can get that issue worked out, it's a really nice range.

o

Slower ignition is most likely the Glow Bar Igniter starting to wear out. The igniter will look like it's glowing fine but it is no longer pulling the 3.2 amps required to open the gas safety valve.
The igniter generally wears out in 4 to 7 years depending on usage. Typically the igniter is aproximately $50 - $70 for the part plus whatever labor to install it.

o

• Posted by Mikal1 USDA10/Sunset24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 23:55

Thanks again everyone, might just get lucky with a quick, easy fix.

This post was edited by Mikal1 on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 23:59

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here