Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Is any Miele model better than Bosch 800 or Kitchenaid?

janesylvia
9 years ago

I saw Miele was recommended by many people. Miele's price varies from $1300 to $3000. Is any Miele model better than Bosch 800 or Kitchenaid?

Thank you very much.

Comments (7)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Yes, I think so.

If you search you will find a number of Bosches that are "Real Stinkers"~~if a DW stinks, it is most often reported by a Bosch owner. We also see complaints about
    cheap parts, tins breaking, rack rollers not working well etc.

Kitchenaids have had more than their share of "Leakers", problem supposedly fixed, but I would not risk my wood floors on one, at least not till we see a lot more positive posts about them.

Miele's problem is first,~~ price, 2nd parts availability and third, price of the parts.

Unlike Bosch & Kitcheaid, where parts are readily available from a number or sources, Miele parts are ONLY available from Miele. Also some service areas are noteworthy for really poor service, San Francisco area being an example. But Miele makes up for most of these problems by being quite reliable.

I've had mine for 8 years and no problems although we only use it about once per month.

Gary

• venmarfan
    9 years ago

Gary, about once per month!, if you are not using paper plates, and I am sure you are not, just let the water frugal Miele handle the dishwashing and save on your water bill and dishpan hands,lol,live better electrically. I think there are just two in your household as in ours but pots and large serving bowls are all we hand wash,we don't run DW everyday but once door is shut there are no dirty dishes to see. By the way, thank you for all your helpful information research you provide us.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

"Better" is relative. Occasionally, someone comes along who has a Miele and doesn't like it or who likes a different DW better.

Generally most of us who have them really like and recommend them.

The high end of the regular line has interior lighting and more features than most need. The website is less than completely helpful in determining differences between the various models and they keep changing the names.

First decision would be lights or no lights. Then controls showing vs controls hidden. Then cabinet panel or ss panel. Then drill down into the various features -- auto door open, adjustable cutler rack etc.

One divider is whether or not the china/crystal cycle is needed. If so, that's the bottom of the top of the range. If not, there are choices based on the number of cycles offered for various models and the other features.

I'm someone who uses my DW every day and we are two. All my pots and pans, serveware and most everything goes into the DW daily. I've got the china/crystal cycle to use for wine glasses when we have guests. My DW is 10 and going strong and I'm hoping for another 10 years. We had another house, now sold, and I had a newer Miele with Express and the newer racking and liked it just as much. I miss the Express -- quicker cycle, however.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 12:02

• deeageaux
    9 years ago

The base Miele does not have a built-in water softener.

Some Bosch 800's do and one KA has a built-in water softener.

If you are feeding your dishwasher hard water(4 gpg or higher) I would consider a Bosch with water softener over a base Miele if you could find a good deal on one.

Other than that, I would get the Miele.

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

I think the racks and set up of the Miele is way better than the Bosch (and the not-great reviews on the Bosch drove me towards the Miele). We ended up with a Futura Dimension...LOVE it and would highly recommend.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Miele is considered the Cadillac of DWs. Not surprising the parts are expensive. I've had a top of the line KA for 12 years and except for one recent problem (heating element had to be replaced), it's been great. Unfortunately, more recent KAs seem to have their share of problems and frankly with all the posts about Bosch odors and mold, I'd be a little weary of them. One thing that only KA has is heated dry which I really like, although if my KA went, I'd strongly be considering a Miele. In my case, I don't need a water softener or any of the other bells and whistles, so a lower model Miele would meet my needs.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

If folks have really hard water, (as we do), then they should install a whole house water softener.
    Yeah, the built in softener in the DW, may make the dishes come out all right, but the hard water will take its toll on the DW.
    Now how do I know that?
    Because hard water "Totalled" my KA DW in 9 years.
    It looked like it had snow inside it's guts!!!

Gary