Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plug-in Portable Induction Cooktop vs. 22k btu Pro Range

Posted by mkoplmn (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:11

Which do you think is more powerful?

An 1800 watt plug-in induction cooktop or a 22k btu burner on a pro style range?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plug-in Portable Induction Cooktop vs. 22k btu Pro Range

22k burner. Though there is a conversion formula out there somewhere but I'm too lazy to look it up.

o

The Induction Site:

BTU/hour = kW x 3413 x Eind/Egas (E=efficiency)

They list the equivalent power of a 1900 W medium element in a cooktop at over 13,600 BTU/hr.

The power doesn't tell the whole story, however. It depends on what you're heating, what you're cooking, etc. More power generally gives you a faster heat up and a faster return to heat, but cooking is cooking and how much faster you can incinerate the food isn't at issue. Big power is mostly for heating heavy pans fast, boiling lots of water, returning woks to heat as cool ingredients are added, and, a variation on that theme, barely searing meats without cooking the insides. Hollandaise is about whisking quickly but gently over low heat. Pasta boils at the same temperature no matter what the power. Etc.

o

My "Fire Breathing Dragon" outdoor DCS open burner gas cooktop can't begin to keep up with a race to boil water, even compared to the smallest hob on my Elux Icon Induction Cooktop.

As pillog mentions. "Power doesn't tell the whole story"!

First the efficiency of gas is less than half of induction, (the portion of the energy that actually ends up in the pot/pan).

Most souces quote gas at a little less that 40%, (Typically 38%) whilst souces quote induction efficiency at over 80%, (as I recall).

From experience, I can tell you, that when some idiot hit a power pole and and I had to use that "Dragon" outside, I thought the water was never gonna get hot for my coffee!
I fell asleep, (Smack Dab in the middle of the back yard)~~~~waiting~~~~~~and waiting~~~~~for my morning coffee!!!

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here