Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_ne

Help replacing built in refrig

sunny_ne
9 years ago

I have to replace my 10 yr old built in Jenn Air 42" refrig which has custom overlay panels. Problem is, I am having trouble understanding which new refrig will fit in the space. Can anyone explain the following:
Integrated fridge cut out depth is 25 ", but the depth of the refrig is 27 and 3/8". Is the difference the thickness of the refrig door?
Maybe I have to get another fridge with overlay panels, not integrated, if I don't want to rebuild cabinetry?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Well, "First things First", what is wrong with your fridge that you think you have to replace it in 10 years? It will be a pain and if you want to keep the panels, you probably will have to hire a cabinet maker or someone like that to install the panels on the new fridge.

I'm pretty sure the "sealed system" on yours, (compressor, evaporator and condenser) are covered, (parts only) for 12 years.

I had to have my JA built in 48" and paneled fridge repaired. It was a "partial plug" in the sealed system.
    Sealed system was cleaned, and a new dryer installed and refilled with Freon, ~~~~cost me less that $300. Other than replacing the ice maker myself, (easy to do), 3 or 4 years ago, that is the only problem I've had with the fridge in the 8 years I've had it.

Gary

• sunny_ne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dodge 59, my fridge has been a problem for about 6 years. The part called the evaporator drip tray pan(?) above the freezer has been repaired/replaced 7 times. The factory trained servicemen replace the part, but the same problem happens again.
    When the part is failing, a loud intermittent grinding noise develops in the freezer, then the freezer develops icicles and frost.
    Jenn Air has offered a big discount on a new fridge, but, as you mentioned, I'll have to get new panels and probably adjust the surrounding cabinet. Ugh. Oh well. My fault for getting a built in.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

I suspects a good cabinet maker could reuse some of the paneling, from the old fridge.

List the model # of the fridge, and first I will see if it's a "Common problem", and 2nd, see what fridges are most likely to fit into the space, with minimum "Hassles".

I don't know if you saw my post about when I was looking for service on my JA, but 2 of the 3 service companies that JA recommended had horrific reviews, fortunately # 3 was great, ~~~~the guy was knowledgeable and very reasonable~~~~~so I hope your odds were better than mine in finding "competent service" for your JA.

It would also be helpful if you could post a picture of the built in fridge.
    Gary

This post was edited by dodge59 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 10:07

• sunny_ne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your time and attention, Gary. I didn't see your post about service companies. I tried the two authorized companies in my area.
    Model # is JS42CSFXDA.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

You have the same fridge as I do, except mine is the 48" model. This was actually built by Jenn-air before Maytag bought Jenn-air and Whirlpool bought Maytag.

The knocking noise that you hear is ice hitting the fan in the freezer area.

You have a problem in the defrost system. I'm sure your JA has the built in diagnostics as mine does.

It could be as simple a thing as the defrost heater has failed, or it could be the main control board, either of which is not that expensive.

Post your question on the "Helpful link", I listed after my post. They have all the parts, and were Extremely helpful in trying to diagnose the problem with mine, alto they did not find the problem as it was a very "Unusual Problem", (partially plugged sealed system) but they sure did try hard to find the problem!

Does NE stand for north east or Nebraska?

I would goggle Jenn-air refrigerator reviews, for what ever area You are in.

Had I called one of those other 2 companies that had bad reviews, ~~~~~they would probably still be throwing parts at it and charging me accordingly~~~~~knowledgeable service makes all the difference.

Sorry to hear about the problems , "To Me", it is still one of the best fridges ever built and has features that even the latest fridges don't have, (crank up/down shelves), digital settings for meat keeper and veggie tray, etc etc.

I will continue to look for problems such as yours, alto I've never had such a problem with mine, and since (more than likely) our fridges use the same parts, either the guy is putting in cheap parts, the wrong part, or something else is causing the part that was replaced to fail,~~~maybe the defrost sensor itself.

More than likely the company I am recommending as far as "Online help goes" can probably also email you a service manual for that fridge, ~~they did for me!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenn-Air Fridge Help

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

"You have the same fridge as I do, except mine is the 48" model. This was actually built by Jenn-air before Maytag bought Jenn-air and Whirlpool bought Maytag"

Maytag bought Jenn-Air in 1982. The 2nd part is correct though. That said I doubt sunny_ne's problems have to do with Maytag. Probably just got a lemon. Built in refrigeration is one of the lucky products they managed to not screw up.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 14:49

• dodge59
    9 years ago

I'm leaning more toward the "Citrus" being with the service dept, rather than the fridge itself, but until I know what area of the country she is in, and I look up yelp reviews on those appliance repair companies, I can't say "For Sure"!!!

There are not that many parts in the defrost circuit and it is NOT "Rocket Science"~~~~except to an inadequately trained service person.

There are many good sources on the net on how to trouble shoot these defrost systems, (which if like mine is an Adaptive Defrost System). I spent a lot of time studying mine as I thought that was where the problem was, (Defrost Staying on too long or stuck on all the time), but I was wrong, as you know, but still was a good education of the defrost system for my fridge.

Gary

• sunny_ne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in NJ. The refrigerator is a goner.
    There are a lot of complaints out there about the evaporator drain tray. I saved an installation instruction sheet. It says, "Evap Drain Tray issue in 2003 thru 2007 production". The company came out with the repair kit to address the flaw, but for some reason, it was never a permanent repair.
    Bummer, but I need a new fridge.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

You are correct, I found the service bulletin to replace the evap drain tray, but no posts as to whether the problem was ever solved, Sorry!

So I guess your intent is to replace it with another SxS built in fridge?

AJ Madison list a number of 42 inchers, most with measurements,~~~~~see the helful link at the end of my post to go there, (if you haven't been to that site yet).

I will let those know who are more familiar than am I with installing built in and paneled fridges explain the difference in cutout depth and "the depth of the fridge".

Hopefully you can find some good candidates for replacement, then list them here and have our experts take a look!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: 42

• sunny_ne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you dodge 59 for trying to help. And thank you hvtech42 for your comment.
    Subzero and Kitchen Aid fridges will fit. I think the sub zero has a more graceful fit and finish, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much $.
    Have a great day.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company